E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > P2457 (EGR) Cooling System Performance

06-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

P2457 (EGR) Cooling System Performance

Hey guys,

I'm a bit twisted on this fault code. I was losing coolant and it was the obvious EGR cooler. I also had a broken engine thermostat. I purchased a good used EGR cooler (apparently it was good) and replaced the thermostat at the same time. I still have this fault code returning. When i look at my old EGR cooler i do see where it was seeping coolant through the weld/crack. The guy also sent me the solenoid so i swapped that in and replaced the vacuum lines and I'm not sure what needs to be done to clear this fault code. The used EGR cooler spring and everything looks to be in better condition then what i took off my car.

I can't recall if the 335d M57 has a EGR thermostat? I don't think i saw one the other day..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
Drews2k
Rep
Drives: 73mini//03cooperS//330XDe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S58 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a bit twisted on this fault code. I was losing coolant and it was the obvious EGR cooler. I also had a broken engine thermostat. I purchased a good used EGR cooler (apparently it was good) and replaced the thermostat at the same time. I still have this fault code returning. When i look at my old EGR cooler i do see where it was seeping coolant through the weld/crack. The guy also sent me the solenoid so i swapped that in and replaced the vacuum lines and I'm not sure what needs to be done to clear this fault code. The used EGR cooler spring and everything looks to be in better condition then what i took off my car.

I can't recall if the 335d M57 has a EGR thermostat? I don't think i saw one the other day..
Is the spring in the cooler moving correctly?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
_N54
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S58 View Post
Hey guys,

Is the spring in the cooler moving correctly?
Yes, it moves back and forward freely.
      07-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
_N54
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop in case someone does a search later on and my thread pops up. The car got the fault code 4530 a couple days ago. I ended up replacing the vacuum actuator near the firewall and all the vacuum lines and my original fault code P2457 (EGR) Cooling System Performance strangely disappeared with fault code 4530. So I'm assuming the vacuum lines I replaced above the turbos did help something out even though they appeared to be in some decent condition. The car has a lot of power and boost now.