E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Permanently wired K+Dcan cable Install doesn't seem to need 12v from OBDII?

03-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #1
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Permanently wired K+Dcan cable Install doesn't seem to need 12v from OBDII?

My car has a 10" android screen installed so I want to monitor MHD on that unit. I can use the MHD wifi adapter but then I don't have internet. The unit isn't android 12+ so it doesn't have the option to be on two different wifi networks at the same time.

So for now I added an OBDII Y connector which was $10 on Amazon where one end is installed in place of the factory connector and the other is under the dash connected to a K+Dcan cable.

Note that the Y cable I got just uses random colored wires to connect all pins of the OBDII connectors so don't rely on any color coding with it. I cut the 12v wire that feeds the K+Dcan cable and connected it to a switched 12v supply so that it is not powered on unless the ignition is. I then realized that the K+Dcan can work on USB power and doesn't seem even need the 12v supply.... (but I haven't done any coding that way)

The setup is working well, the K+Dcan powers up with the car and connects as soon as I load the MHD app for monitoring and worked for an xhp flash.

Has anyone ran a K+Dcan from just USB power without the 12v from OBDII connected regularly? I may try it given that I added a switch to turn off the 12v already incase I connect to an ICOM (but it turns out I also have to unplug the cable or it just works on USB power). It would is less work to install it with the 12v disconnected given that I had to run a 12v wire from my fusebox area and splice it into the K+Dcan cable's OBDII connection to add the switched 12v.

-Rich