E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Passenger Seat Sensor + Airbag warning light issues

09-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #1
Sracs
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Passenger Seat Sensor + Airbag warning light issues

Looking for some suggestions with this problem.

The car: 2006 325i. MT. Bone stock. 170K miles.

The story:

1) Started getting annoying airbag warning lights and dings whenever someone was in the passenger seat. Figured it was the passenger seat sensor pad - because this has happened before and it was replaced under a recall by BMW around 8 or 9 years ago.

2) Soon, airbag and seatbelt light are on all the time. No dings, but not great.

3) Bought a seat sensor bypass online. Installed it and the seatbelt bypass. No kids so no worries about it going off into a car-seat or anything.

4) Warning lights won't go out. The bypass instructions say the code might need to be cleared.

5) Take it to my indy, who tries to clear the code, but says it's not clearing - either with or without the bypass.

6) My cheap OBD scanner won't read SRS codes, so I buy CARLY so I can tinker and try to fix this myself. Carly reads an 0093C3 code still (MRS:Seat occupancy detector, passenger).

7) Try to clear the code with Carly multiple times, but still can't get the goddamn airbag and seatbelt light to go out.

8) Remove the seatbelt bypass just in case that's screwing something up. Doesn't change anything.

8) Email the guy who sent me the bypass. He has me check an internal LED is blinking to show the bypass functioning. It is.

9) ??????

Any suggestions what to try next? All I want is those lights out on the dash, and the knowledge that the passenger airbag is gonna go off in a crash.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
timsintim
Registered
Ghana
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93 335IS n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sracs View Post
Looking for some suggestions with this problem.

The car: 2006 325i. MT. Bone stock. 170K miles.

The story:

1) Started getting annoying airbag warning lights and dings whenever someone was in the passenger seat. Figured it was the passenger seat sensor pad - because this has happened before and it was replaced under a recall by BMW around 8 or 9 years ago.

2) Soon, airbag and seatbelt light are on all the time. No dings, but not great.

3) Bought a seat sensor bypass online. Installed it and the seatbelt bypass. No kids so no worries about it going off into a car-seat or anything.

4) Warning lights won't go out. The bypass instructions say the code might need to be cleared.

5) Take it to my indy, who tries to clear the code, but says it's not clearing - either with or without the bypass.

6) My cheap OBD scanner won't read SRS codes, so I buy CARLY so I can tinker and try to fix this myself. Carly reads an 0093C3 code still (MRS:Seat occupancy detector, passenger).

7) Try to clear the code with Carly multiple times, but still can't get the goddamn airbag and seatbelt light to go out.

8) Remove the seatbelt bypass just in case that's screwing something up. Doesn't change anything.

8) Email the guy who sent me the bypass. He has me check an internal LED is blinking to show the bypass functioning. It is.

9) ??????

Any suggestions what to try next? All I want is those lights out on the dash, and the knowledge that the passenger airbag is gonna go off in a crash.

Thanks!

S.
So I have the same issue, when I contacted the guy who sent me the bypass and they said they sent the wrong one, apparently you need to check whether you got the EURO or American bypass, still waiting for mine to come in.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 05:07 PM   #3
Sracs
Rep

Thanks for the tip. Turns out that also was the case here, or the bypass was bad. Either way, they sent me a new one and it's working fine right now. All warning lights are gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 09:07 PM   #4
ryanalex
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, e84 X1 28i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sracs View Post
Thanks for the tip. Turns out that also was the case here, or the bypass was bad. Either way, they sent me a new one and it's working fine right now. All warning lights are gone.
Mind saying where you got it? I'm in the same boat. Got one on eBay from China and it didn't work. About to change seat but would rather just bypass.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 04:57 PM   #5
Sracs
Rep

Sure. I got it from Airbagdoc.com

.com/product/seat-occupancy-sensor-mat-bypass-emulator-for-bmw-3-series-e90-e91-e92-e93/
Appreciate 0