E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DIY-Installing Garmin Nuvi in ashtray area

02-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
eshoukry93
e92 Arrived 5/12
Rep
Drives: e92 BS 335i

DIY-Installing Garmin Nuvi in ashtray area

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about installing my garmin nuvi 250w in the ashtray area in such a way that you would be able to close the ashtray lid to cover up the gps unit. I currently have it resting in that area now but would like to come up with a more permanent solution that is clean and somewhat cool since closing the ashtray lid would conceal it when my car is parked.

Has anyone done something like this? Logistically, do you think having the garmin unit recessed in the ashtray area would keep it from being able to get signal? I'm wondering how difficult this would be.

Thanks,

Ehab
      02-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Personally, I have not used any GPS yet but I think that placing a GPS down low is not a practical setup since for me, I might need to look at the screen to get a visual idea for direction. I don't feel comfy looking down at a GPS while driving. But that is just me.

I understand you wanting it clean and out of the eyes of thieves and maybe someone who has done this will chime in with their review.