E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Is HID reverse lights possible?

View Poll Results: HIDs vs LED vs No mod
go for the HID projectors! 9 25.71%
Just do LED reverse lights, they should be bright enough. 22 62.86%
Just deal with it by stop modifying your car... 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

11-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #67
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

I have just spoken with my garage and they are going to do it for me with my help.

I will supply the HID Kit, and they will install it. I will get the code info which needs to be amended to stop any errors popping up, and get them to do it.

THey owe me... so should do it for free labour...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #68
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

That should turn out interesting...

After seeing all of the different applications, i still have yet to see the function of it from inside the car, looking out through tinted windows and tinted lights...

As for myself... i'm on deployment just floating around the ocean, and will be for another few months so i won't be able to test any these ideas out until then (mid-March sometime)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #69
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Floating around... Where abouts are you at the moment? Since watching top gear, I have always wanted to launch a car of an air craft carrier... haha anyway....

I am still working out whether or not these are worth it, and what is involved...

I was thinking of buying a regular H3 CANBUS HID kit from a reputable place
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-kit...kit-p-453.html
and installing the kit and also adding my own manual switch up front (somehow)...

I still believe this will cause errors, so i will have the reverse light errors coded out.

I hope it is as simple as that.

I do not want to spend $200 on a reverse HID Kit...

But if i was to code errors out, is there any point in buying a CANBUS kit? and just better of purchasing a regular HID Kit?

Do CANBUS Kits have any other relays or diodes that protect wiring?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Best,
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #70
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Floating around... Where abouts are you at the moment? Since watching top gear, I have always wanted to launch a car of an air craft carrier... haha anyway....

I am still working out whether or not these are worth it, and what is involved...

I was thinking of buying a regular H3 CANBUS HID kit from a reputable place
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-kit...kit-p-453.html
and installing the kit and also adding my own manual switch up front (somehow)...

I still believe this will cause errors, so i will have the reverse light errors coded out.

I hope it is as simple as that.

I do not want to spend $200 on a reverse HID Kit...

But if i was to code errors out, is there any point in buying a CANBUS kit? and just better of purchasing a regular HID Kit?

Do CANBUS Kits have any other relays or diodes that protect wiring?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Best,
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics too, but i'm sure you'd save about $60 by not getting a CAN-bus system if you're just going to code it out.
As for the switch, it's been done so i'm sure it can't be that difficult. The link to the DIY (for 5 series) is in this thread somewhere that a fellow member posted.

I'm in the Pacific... i can't say where, Navy's policy is "Operational Security"

I figure it can't hurt to spend maybe $80 on some good projector-style LED bulbs first, and if i'm not satisfied, i can return them and go for an HID setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #71
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe i can save a little money and get a regular kit as i am having things coded out...

But one prob that occasionally pops up, is the idea of relays being using to prevent stock wiring burning out...
I dont know much about it, but supposedly stock wiring uses 2 amps max for the reverse lights, but the HID Ballasts draw 8 amps and could burn wiring or somehting along those lines...

Which is why relays are used to help battle this...

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #72
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe i can save a little money and get a regular kit as i am having things coded out...

But one prob that occasionally pops up, is the idea of relays being using to prevent stock wiring burning out...
I dont know much about it, but supposedly stock wiring uses 2 amps max for the reverse lights, but the HID Ballasts draw 8 amps and could burn wiring or somehting along those lines...

Which is why relays are used to help battle this...

What do you think?
***EDIT: i seen your post earlier about your garage going to help you out... i'd stick with that**

drawing 8 amps you'll need thicker gauge wire first off... if you're unsure about the project, try posting in your Regional section and see if anyone is electronically inclined there... they would be able to give you some hands-on advice
i'm not much help - i know this

Last edited by N0OS3; 11-23-2011 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #73
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

haha you know your not much help... Anyway... just bouncing ideas of people to see what they think...

Ill look into it further... I want to keep this as affordable as possible, becuase it is not worth while for everyone...

But if people are willing to spend $50-150 on an error free HID system, i am sure they would most likely fork out around $60 mark for an HID Kit which is safe and easy to install... bla bla bla,, im talking crap now... time to research a little more
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #74
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
I take it the price of each LED is $40 so you would need two in total correct? and that is not even error free...

The coding cable is around $80+ too....

The HID method could be great if a regular HID kit could be used... but if a specific Reverse HID Kit at $200 needs to be used, it isnt worthwhile...

Could a regular bulb using the correct fitment be used?

EDIT
i noticed the price of the LEDs are for the pair....

They have a video on there showing that their $80 CANBUS Reverse LEDS on a BMW do not throw codes! May be worth the investment?

EDIT2
I do not think i will order from that site!!! THEY ARE CHARGING $80 for postage! never came across a website that charges that much for two small bulbs.

The search continues
The Cree LEDs used in the lux units are not $40. They are under $10. And there are brighter LEDs out there for half that price but a bit bigger.

If you guys want an led solution under $100, I'll have one soon. It will be plug and play, no modifications, goal is 400 lumens per side.

As far as getting a non-can bus kit, I think you'll be fine. The only reason you need a can bus kit for the headlights is because there is a PWM signal on the headlight. Not sure if the reverse lights have a PWM signal, but regardless you can do this:

Since the kit will be so close to the battery, wire the kit directly to the battery and have it switch on via a bosch relay. Then just put a resistor between the positive and negative leads in your reverse lamp housing. That will prevent an error. You can get the switched power source from your reverse lights, wired with the resistor. The run a switch up to the cabin and have that wired to the relay as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #75
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Done. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616181
Appreciate 0