E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Question for NYS inspection with catless dps

12-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question for NYS inspection with catless dps

Hey everyone,

I am going for a NYS inspection this weekend and just wanted to see if anyone has recently had one done. I have catless dp's with MHD tune, no check engine light but using MHD obviously shows no cat readiness. Is that an auto fail, or does NYS allow 1 not ready monitor?
Any tips on passing the inspection? do I leave as is with tune still flashed, flash back to stock?

Thanks
Rube
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Devildog0905
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Hey everyone,

I am going for a NYS inspection this weekend and just wanted to see if anyone has recently had one done. I have catless dp's with MHD tune, no check engine light but using MHD obviously shows no cat readiness. Is that an auto fail, or does NYS allow 1 not ready monitor?
Any tips on passing the inspection? do I leave as is with tune still flashed, flash back to stock?

Thanks
Rube
You can have 1 not ready. Although, if you go to a place that does a visual inspection (which they are supposed to do) then they could fail you for not having cats. I've never had that happen, but it's possible. You could also throw on a cel delete for the day and have it show ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog0905 View Post
You can have 1 not ready. Although, if you go to a place that does a visual inspection (which they are supposed to do) then they could fail you for not having cats. I've never had that happen, but it's possible. You could also throw on a cel delete for the day and have it show ready.

Great thanks for the reply. So just leave as is with the tune in place and hopefully should be good to go? They wont do a visual, its a friends shop so that part should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great thanks for the reply. So just leave as is with the tune in place and hopefully should be good to go? They wont do a visual, its a friends shop so that part should be ok.
So I didn't pass since I had catalyst incomplete and evap incomplete. I drove around and tried doing the drive cycle to get the evap ready but was unable to. I'll try a few more drive cycles and see what happens. Anyone have any other ideas, would the vrsf downpipe fix be the way to go ? Thanks for any assistance
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Bmw 135

U won't pass of u have no rediness on your obd.....dp fix is the only option....i run mhd also but i just buy stickers and re register every 2 years....easier then doing all thr dp fix drive inspection remove bs....live in nyc to
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
So I didn't pass since I had catalyst incomplete and evap incomplete. I drove around and tried doing the drive cycle to get the evap ready but was unable to. I'll try a few more drive cycles and see what happens. Anyone have any other ideas, would the vrsf downpipe fix be the way to go ? Thanks for any assistance
Do the drive cycle on jack stands. I spent weeks trying to get evap to set and jack stands was the only way. You can then control the drive cycle without worrying about traffic patters. Works every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Do the drive cycle on jack stands. I spent weeks trying to get evap to set and jack stands was the only way. You can then control the drive cycle without worrying about traffic patters. Works every time.
I was contemplating doing that. Do you know if cruise control is ok to use for the drive cycle to set the evap if I do it on jack stands? or do I actually need to use the throttle to be able to set the evap.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I was contemplating doing that. Do you know if cruise control is ok to use for the drive cycle to set the evap if I do it on jack stands? or do I actually need to use the throttle to be able to set the evap.

Thanks for the help!
I don't remember. I might've used cruise control. Only take about 15 minutes to try each way.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to update this in case it can help someone else out. Thanks to bbnks2
I did the drive cycle on jackstands, since my e92 is rwd that made it easy. Im not suggesting anyone else do this, but if you do follow this, do it at your own risk and make sure you take every precaution so that you dont launch your car and kill yourself or anyone near you.

Let car sit overnight 8+ hours. Between 1/4 -3/4 tank of fuel
Shut DTC completely off. You will still get ABS errors during this but they went away as soon as i drove around after i finished the drive cycle. I didnt use cruise control, wasnt sure if i could or not so i didnt.
Do not exceed 3000rpm or 60mph. No large throttle variations

Start car cold and idle approximately 2 mins 10 sec
Accelerate and maintain steady speed between 20-30 mph 3 mins 15 sec
Accelerate and maintain steady speed between 40-60 mph for approximately 15 mins
Decelerate and let wheels come to a stop. Let car idle approximately 5 mins ( i left in neutral with manual transmission)

Use MHD to check codes, if all was done correctly then evaporative system should show complete. Dont clear any codes until after you get inspected, otherwise you'll have to do the drive cycle all over again.

I still have Catalyst showing incomplete because I have catless downpipes, however I should now be able to pass NYS inspection with one monitor not showing ready. I have MHD stage 2+ currently and no dp fix.

**Update** - I passed inspection this morning. I had 1 readiness monitor showing incomplete, that was for the Cats.

Last edited by Rube; 12-26-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      01-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

DP fix

If you guys need a DP fix I have for sale. Here is the link.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253637