E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Walnut Blasting experience + Manifold repair

10-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

My Walnut Blasting experience + Manifold repair

I just wanted to write a quick thread about my experience yesterday at Helix in Philly, having the walnut blast service performed, and also having my manifold repaired properly at the same time.

About 4 months ago I broke the small vacuum connector/nipple on the intake manifold, and since then, it's been held on with glue. I scheduled a walnut blast service with Helix in Philly, along with some fellow members for a group buy that was put together by a different member on the forum.

The amount of time it took to do the job, beginning to end, was remarkably fast. Took less than an hour for them to pull everything out, and blast the valves, etc. I called Helix earlier in the week and told them i'd like to see if they can help me with fixing the broken connector on the manifold. They said it wouldn't be a problem, and we can take care of it at the time we do the blasting service. I brought a 1/8 x 1/8 Vacuum male thread/barb, and they got it tapped in just like the main thread about this repair recommends.

Now the car runs 100x better, although I only have 44k on it, it was pretty gunked up. MUCH smoother acceleration across the entire power band just as others have said, but the main thing i'm happy about is they got that ghetto rigged, glued vacuum connector grinded down flush, and tapped the newly made hole for the brass fitting. BOV now sounds different, likely because it has a much better vacuum connection

Before (After flicking off the glued connector)

After (Before wiping up the little bit of JB)

My blasting pictures I took came out pretty bad, I was trying to take them while they were working on the car.
BEFORE

AFTER

The guys over at Helix really know their stuff on these cars, and I strongly recommend using them if you live in the area. Even when it's not during a group buy special they're very reasonably priced, plus, they have the ability to fix things like I needed with total confidence, and do it for a great price.
      10-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
chili36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

That after pic doesn't look all that great.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
That after pic doesn't look all that great.
+1

No wonder they finished in 1 hour... They could have done way better! Check out other peoples after shots of intake valve cleaning, they are spotless.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
+1

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041005
      10-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

This wasn't the finished shot, he basically ran it over once, I snapped a picture while he started prepping the manifold, then he finished each port. Should've said this in the original post! And now that I look at the "after" picture I posted, I wouldn't be happy if that was the finished product compared to other jobs. I noticed the same improvements everyone else has reported performance wise.

I don't know how everyone gets such clear lighted shots down the ports

Last edited by 335NJ; 10-05-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Exxxtacy
Instagram @kyle_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I just scheduled my walnut blast with them today for the 15th. Looking forward to get this taken care of.