E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke coming from exhaust only on deceleration

02-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #1
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i

Smoke coming from exhaust only on deceleration

Hey guys i’ve been having this issue with my car recently. i’ve owned this n54 for around 2 weeks and since i bought it, it smokes only on deceleration. Of course i didn’t notice until it got warm and i was driving it home. the car has pure600 turbos, upgraded charge pipe, downpipes, 3” turbo back exhaust, tuned on mhd, dual forged diverters, bms intakes, and soon to have a bms catch can. I noticed on the valve cover just behind where the pcv valve starts someone must’ve broke it and tried to fix it with jb weld. so i have a new valve cover gasket and new pvc valve hose on the way. I’m hoping this is my fix but if anyone has any more insight that would be greatly appreciated. Car has 156000 original kilometers. Photo for context on where the crack/break was “fixed”
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:14 AM   #2
OMEGA412
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

It's either your PCV system or bad turbo seals.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 06:24 AM   #3
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA412 View Post
It's either your PCV system or bad turbo seals.
I have a new valve cover + pcv hose on the way as well as a catch can. i’m hoping this is the fix. turbos are practically new
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

95% chance it's bad turbo seals.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 12:50 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyweninger View Post
I have a new valve cover + pcv hose on the way as well as a catch can. i’m hoping this is the fix. turbos are practically new
What brand? If they are the cheap ebay china turbos.....leaky seals aren't out of the question, even if they are brand new.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #6
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

iqraceworks

They are pure600 stage 2 turbos with 6500 kilometers on them
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 02:02 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
iqraceworks

They are pure600 stage 2 turbos with 6500 kilometers on them
Yeah, I wouldn't think those would be leaking. In the picture, it looks like there is a plastic bag wrapped around your pcv valve? Or is it covered in epoxy?

I would definitely try a new OEM valve cover and a BMW or RB metal PCV valve and see if that helps.

Of that doesn't fix it....do a compression test, make sure you don't have a cracked piston and/or rings.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:14 PM   #8
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

iqraceworks
I have a new valve cover, pcv hose and a catch can on the way.

And yes the previous owner tried to jb weld it where im assuming he broke it. I contacted a shop near me that specializes in these cars and told them my situation and they said to 100% start with that because it’s most likely the problem. The car still runs fine and pulls hard. I don’t suspect it’s an issue with compression
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #9
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't think those would be leaking. In the picture, it looks like there is a plastic bag wrapped around your pcv valve? Or is it covered in epoxy?

I would definitely try a new OEM valve cover and a BMW or RB metal PCV valve and see if that helps.

Of that doesn't fix it....do a compression test, make sure you don't have a cracked piston and/or rings.
Back at it, i replaced the valve cover and new pcv hose. the smoking is definitely better. before i was able to see it very clearly at a stop and now i can hardly see anything what so ever, it’s still there but just not as bad?. my next step is a catch can. Although the smoking may be residual could still be old crap making its way thru.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:42 PM   #10
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

This reminds me of the nightmare I had with my N54 E92.Smoking on deceleration when the engine is warm- I changed nearly everything in the engine - rebuilt turbos (after-market), new valve cover (not just the gasket), all seals imaginable in the engine replaced - still smoked! Eventually replaced the catless down pipes with OEM (yes back to OEM downpipes!) and smoke disappeared. I was exhausted and broke and never ever wanted to revisit again the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #11
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
This reminds me of the nightmare I had with my N54 E92.Smoking on deceleration when the engine is warm- I changed nearly everything in the engine - rebuilt turbos (after-market), new valve cover (not just the gasket), all seals imaginable in the engine replaced - still smoked! Eventually replaced the catless down pipes with OEM (yes back to OEM downpipes!) and smoke disappeared. I was exhausted and never wanted to revisit again the downpipes.
I believe this car does have down pipes on it, i’m not really sure. i’m new to this n54 stuff. before i had a n52 fricken thing never gave me any issues. i tried new valve cover and pcv hose, i’m going to throw on a catch can and see if it helps any. The motor however is strong. and the turbos are new. (pure600s) since the valve cover it’s definitely better so i’m hoping to god it’s just residual and eventually once the system cleans out it stops.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:47 PM   #12
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

there is a vrsf down pipe on the car
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:49 PM   #13
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
This reminds me of the nightmare I had with my N54 E92.Smoking on deceleration when the engine is warm- I changed nearly everything in the engine - rebuilt turbos (after-market), new valve cover (not just the gasket), all seals imaginable in the engine replaced - still smoked! Eventually replaced the catless down pipes with OEM (yes back to OEM downpipes!) and smoke disappeared. I was exhausted and broke and never ever wanted to revisit again the downpipes.
HPFP
LPFP
INDEX 12 INJECTORS
Pure 600 turbos
Vrsf down pipe and charge pipe
Forge diverter valve
3 inch turbo back exhaust
Burger motor sport dual intakes
Probably missing a lot
Here is the list of mods that i’m aware of so far
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 08:22 PM   #14
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HPFP
LPFP
INDEX 12 INJECTORS
Pure 600 turbos
Vrsf down pipe and charge pipe
Forge diverter valve
3 inch turbo back exhaust
Burger motor sport dual intakes
Probably missing a lot
Here is the list of mods that i’m aware of so far
Trust me, I did all that, plus more that I've even lost the list. The only thing that "fixed it" was replacing the catless downpipes with OEM which were, in fact, used. Never smoked since then for now 6 years!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 06:54 PM   #15
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, I did all that, plus more that I've even lost the list. The only thing that "fixed it" was replacing the catless downpipes with OEM which were, in fact, used. Never smoked since then for now 6 years!
I’ve got my new valve cover+ Catch can in. praying that is helps with the issue. it should as any oil it throws out will get caught for the most part and not get thrown out the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 06:55 PM   #16
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

musa
Attached :
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      02-17-2024, 07:06 PM   #17
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
What’s wild to me is that previous owner upgraded to pures but kept stock inlets wth. GL with the issue these cars are always a pain when diagnosing but when taken care are great
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:14 PM   #18
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel08E93 View Post
What’s wild to me is that previous owner upgraded to pures but kept stock inlets wth. GL with the issue these cars are always a pain when diagnosing but when taken care are great
Well so far there is a new valve cover, and now i just put on the catch can. and yes it it is somewhat odd that the inlets are still stock. but yea man idk if this doesn’t work then i don’t know what to do next
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:53 PM   #19
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Quote:
Well so far there is a new valve cover, and now i just put on the catch can. and yes it it is somewhat odd that the inlets are still stock. but yea man idk if this doesn’t work then i don’t know what to do next
Is the car running fine regardless is it throwing any codes? You losing any mpg? Increase smell of fuel?? Have you had this issue since you had the car or after you did something what color is the smoke? What’s the maintenance history on it? There’s a lot of things that could cause this it’s a matter of starting from the most obvious and in expensive and go from there. I know sometimes things feel hopeless or you feel clueless but this platform is very well supported and I’m sure someone has had a similar issue that’s just the name of the game with these cars especially at the age they’re at lol. Also I would question having upgraded turbos and lean towards maybe rebuilt or original, it’s very suspicious because what I recall the 600’s require upgraded inlets and as mentioned if they’re used turbos or original I wouldn’t look past bad turbo seals
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:00 PM   #20
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is the car running fine regardless is it throwing any codes? You losing any mpg? Increase smell of fuel?? Have you had this issue since you had the car or after you did something what color is the smoke? What’s the maintenance history on it? There’s a lot of things that could cause this it’s a matter of starting from the most obvious and in expensive and go from there. I know sometimes things feel hopeless or you feel clueless but this platform is very well supported and I’m sure someone has had a similar issue that’s just the name of the game with these cars especially at the age they’re at lol. Also I would question having upgraded turbos and lean towards maybe rebuilt or original, it’s very suspicious because what I recall the 600’s require upgraded inlets and as mentioned if they’re used turbos or original I wouldn’t look past bad turbo seals
I need all the 02 sensors replaced. i also have a code for the low pressure fuel sensor which will be getting replaced soon both of them, and yes the fuel mileage is horrid, likely due to the o2 sensors. the smoke is most definitely oil, it’s white with blue tinge and i can smell it. since the new valve cover the burning is much better but it’s still there so i put the catch can and see if that helps any. service history has some seen bmw dealers but mostly just shops. i know that stock inlets will fit on the pures but you got me thinking now. there’s a few things i want to go over before going to turbos which i’m hoping it’s not. I’ve only owned this car for a week lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:05 PM   #21
Jonnyweninger
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Also i have recipts of the turbos and install. so they are definitely upgraded turbos. i’m catless as well, someone in a different thread posted about the same issue and they went back to oem downpipes and smoking went away, likely because of the cats tho
Appreciate 1
musa423.00
      02-17-2024, 11:35 PM   #22
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just to show you how crazy frustrated I was, I also changed the DME with brand new from the dealer, all to no avail. I've sworn I'll never sell my 2007 E92 given how much I've put in that vehicle. Fortunately, it's been tops so far.
Appreciate 0