E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 rod knock/spun bearing tracking

08-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #375
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I’m sorry. If crank looked ok then probably the big end on the rod got deformed from the knock. What are you going to do now?
Any engine that gets seized is not a good idea to keep using it especially in a "high performance bmw" but I did it anyways and paid the price... twice

Well what am I going to do now this was a couple years ago it took that long.

Part of it was my fault for going to a getto mechanic to do an engine swap and paying him upfront was a terrible idea, he had my car for 10 months until I sued him. One day there was an engine I took the car finished fixing it with my mechanics.. spent over 6k on the car a rebuilt title but I was 18 so I just wanted it to work.

After that the first day I started the new engine it was knocking so I put it up for sell put some 15w-40 in there and someone bought it without even looking at it for a decent price.

I left bmws now until I can get a brand new one with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #376
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

So after quite a few posts and cases we still cannot say what is happening here. Lack of oil ?, Quality control ?, dirt and ofhg, oil pan design ?.

Thats what bugs me. No closer to a good cause. Which means no potential way to avoid it..

I know people have also replaced bearings as a preventative measure. But if tomorrow wr learn that it was a bad oil control solenoid or how many times u took a left turn then it does not matter if u put new bearings.... those aee just examples so lets not freak out.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #377
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

There were more n55 made compared to n55 so there are more reported failures, but my opinion is that these n55 failures are due to the electronic oil flow control.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      08-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #378
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
So after quite a few posts and cases we still cannot say what is happening here. Lack of oil ?, Quality control ?, dirt and ofhg, oil pan design ?.

Thats what bugs me. No closer to a good cause. Which means no potential way to avoid it..

I know people have also replaced bearings as a preventative measure. But if tomorrow wr learn that it was a bad oil control solenoid or how many times u took a left turn then it does not matter if u put new bearings.... those aee just examples so lets not freak out.
I'm not worrying about it. If it happens, it's something way outside of my own control. About the only time I'll feel a little nervous is if I need to replace my OFHG a second time. Since it was done right the first time, I'd say it'll be fine the second - whenever that is.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      08-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #379
azx33
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

2011 335i N55 156,000miles. Runs idles drives like day one. Bought it with 100,000miles. Since owning it I have rehabbed her some, replaced items as preventive maintenance and some upgrades, intercooler, charge pipe and CSF rad. very regular oil changes, tranny fluid etc. Thinking to keep this thing going I may do the rod bearings, turbo, and injectors. Maybe other stuff while in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #380
Beemcan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640,X5,540, Mini JCW

Was searching around for seized N55 Posts and found this thread. Thought I would add another to the list:

2011 X6, Build date 05/2010. 130,000 miles. OFHG 3 months and 3K prior. Engine seized while mildly accelerating on a flat section of highway at about 60mph. No knocking prior to. Oil circuit was left open for some time as other preventative maintenance was being done, engine was oil pump primed prior to start however not according to SIB (as mechanic was not aware of it). Priming performed was identical as one cycle of that listed in SIB Procedure.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #381
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Dont think primming was the issue with 3k miles after work done.. More than likely there was debris in there. .. Or you could of ran your engine without oil.. Or you could of have a valve failure and drop into your cylinder .. Or you could of had a oil pump failure.. Or you could be water logged (meth)... Or you could of broke a timing chain.. Or you could sabotaged by an ex that put sand in your engine.. Or who knows but if you find out let us know...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #382
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemcan View Post
Was searching around for seized N55 Posts and found this thread. Thought I would add another to the list:

2011 X6, Build date 05/2010. 130,000 miles. OFHG 3 months and 3K prior. Engine seized while mildly accelerating on a flat section of highway at about 60mph. No knocking prior to. Oil circuit was left open for some time as other preventative maintenance was being done, engine was oil pump primed prior to start however not according to SIB (as mechanic was not aware of it). Priming performed was identical as one cycle of that listed in SIB Procedure.
Is it possible if you would like to contribute with some concrete information to pull out the Hydraulic Valve from that block and inspect it. The valve is in a very accessible location at the front of the block on the right side.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #383
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i MSport

V, V late to the party here, but I had my fully stock N55 X1 shit the bed about a year ago with a spun rod bearing and I thought I could contribute. My dealership also basically tricked me into spending my entire warranty allocation on this repair and the bill is astronomical (about 30k$ Canadian for a rebuild, even after accounting for huge labour discounts so they didn't blow past my warranty coverage, which would have been illegal here on Quebec).

I've been mostly posting on the E84 forum but I get very few responses over there. Not a lot of xDrive35i owners I guess

Anyone still active on this thread and want my details?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #384
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
There were more n55 made compared to n55 so there are more reported failures, but my opinion is that these n55 failures are due to the electronic oil flow control.
I feel like this may be the issue, or the variable displacement oil pump. This issue plagues the N63 much more frequently. BMW is still looking into why it happens.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #385
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

30K for a rebuilt engine? Yipes! For that much cash I'd expect a so called "built" engine, with aftermarket pistons, rods, closed deck... something I could really wrap up with a stage 3 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #386
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
n54's spin bearings all day and don't have this valve.

There is also 0 indication in any oil pressure log to suggest the oil control valve is an issue. if it failed it would cause high oil pressure. it's a bypass valve. if it failed open it would cause a cel for low oil pressure.

can't buy into that at all. Never had a problem re-using oil control valves from seized engines either. re-used the oil pumps too.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #387
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I feel like this may be the issue, or the variable displacement oil pump. This issue plagues the N63 much more frequently. BMW is still looking into why it happens.
provide even the slightest inkling of evidence for why it's even suggestible to be an issue before having a hand in starting more conspiracy theories.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #388
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Quote:
provide even the slightest inkling of evidence for why it's even suggestible to be an issue before having a hand in starting more conspiracy theories.
Well, we replace a lot of N63 motors in the winter after they have seized. First really cold snap and the tow trucks start bringing them in. We had three getting replaced last winter all at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #389
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
n54's spin bearings all day and don't have this valve.

There is also 0 indication in any oil pressure log to suggest the oil control valve is an issue. if it failed it would cause high oil pressure. it's a bypass valve. if it failed open it would cause a cel for low oil pressure.

can't buy into that at all. Never had a problem re-using oil control valves from seized engines either. re-used the oil pumps too.
How many you have re used ? Is not like you are doing it on daily basis. If we call these claims, both mine and yours are anecdotal. Isn’t that what people on the car forums do? True n54 spin bearings too, however I will say that if not all of them have , 9 out of 10 have been tuned. N55 on the other hand fails in stock form. I have worked on 535i, x3 and x5 with this issue own by mature people who think tune is only for the radio and services their cars at the bmw dealer. So the only difference is this electronic oil control. I don’t understand why would you expect me to think of another issue.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      12-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #390
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
30K for a rebuilt engine? Yipes! For that much cash I'd expect a so called "built" engine, with aftermarket pistons, rods, closed deck... something I could really wrap up with a stage 3 turbo.
Yeah, the dealer had told me it would cost around $15k, then they came back with the $30k bill... Had I known before the re-build it would cost that much, I 100% would have got it done elsewhere. Not sure if they lied about cost on purpose to get the job or are just straight-up incompetent.

Reminder that this is all in Canadian Pesos. And I technically didn't have to pay because of my warranty so, if I'm interpreting the laws correctly, they're not violating anything since I'm not paying anything. Seems like they don't even need to provide a quote... and now I have no warranty liability left.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #391
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, we replace a lot of N63 motors in the winter after they have seized. First really cold snap and the tow trucks start bringing them in. We had three getting replaced last winter all at the same time.
how does that prove the oil pump is a problem? Especially so on the n5x?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #392
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How many you have re used ? Is not like you are doing it on daily basis. If we call these claims, both mine and yours are anecdotal. Isn’t that what people on the car forums do? True n54 spin bearings too, however I will say that if not all of them have , 9 out of 10 have been tuned. N55 on the other hand fails in stock form. I have worked on 535i, x3 and x5 with this issue own by mature people who think tune is only for the radio and services their cars at the bmw dealer. So the only difference is this electronic oil control. I don’t understand why would you expect me to think of another issue.
that's not ancedotal... that's just literally making things up... gotta at least have some kind of first hand experience with oil control valve being the cause of a failure before you can just blindly say it is the root cause. And again, why do N54's spin bearings? N54's only spin bearings because theyve been tuned? I've seen a few posts on facebook recently of N54's with seized engines after OFHG change... is that because they are tuned too?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #393
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that's not ancedotal... that's just literally making things up... gotta at least have some kind of first hand experience with oil control valve being the cause of a failure before you can just blindly say it is the root cause. And again, why do N54's spin bearings? N54's only spin bearings because theyve been tuned? I've seen a few posts on facebook recently of N54's with seized engines after OFHG change... is that because they are tuned too?
No, you completely misunderstood me. To sum up, they are more N55 than N54. Both spin the bearings. Naturally there will be more N55 reported cases. However, the difference is N55 reports include a lot spin bearing after repair done, like OFHG. N54 is older and most are on second if not third or forth OFHG and reports of issue afterwards are few, very insignificant. N55 on the other hand, BMW came up oil priming procedure. Why? The fact of the matter is: you don’t know if it’s the valve or it isn’t. But because you have the N55 at heart you dismiss my objective opinion based of N55 having electronic oil control and N54 doesn’t not.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #394
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, you completely misunderstood me. To sum up, they are more N55 than N54. Both spin the bearings. Naturally there will be more N55 reported cases. However, the difference is N55 reports include a lot spin bearing after repair done, like OFHG. N54 is older and most are on second if not third or forth OFHG and reports of issue afterwards are few, very insignificant. N55 on the other hand, BMW came up oil priming procedure. Why? The fact of the matter is: you don’t know if it’s the valve or it isn’t. But because you have the N55 at heart you dismiss my objective opinion based of N55 having electronic oil control and N54 doesn’t not.
again you're just making stuff up.

BMW didn't come up with any "oil prime procedure" because of the OFHG.

BMW released a generic SIB (service bulletin) to ensure their techs were priming the engine after ANY service work that open the oil galleys. OFHG was literally 1 word and line in a 2 page document. There is no BMW procedure specifically addressing any OFHG issue.

I only brought up the OFHG because it's jut another example of how people claim it only happens to N55's like rod knock. I was being facetious.

Quote:
Why? The fact of the matter is: you don’t know if it’s the valve or it isn’t.
You're literally saying it IS the valve without ANY reason for saying so. Alll I am doing is saying you CAN'T do that. It's wrong. It does nothing to solve anything other than create rumors.

I actually do at least have SOMETHING to say that it's NOT related to the oil control valve and I already stated such... oil pressure logs and the fact that n54's and other bmws also spin bearings and don't have any oil control valve. I also point out the function of the oil control valve makes the theory not make sense. Go ahead and unplug your oil control valve... then log oil pressure. let me know what happens.

Your only backing for your statement is your opinion that you pulled out of thin air.

N54 also have 8-bolt cranks. That is the reason why they don't spin bearings! (sarcasm). I really think you downplay just how many n54's get posted up with rod knock. You're stuck in this 2011 N55 bubble sitting here on this forum. Maybe because you just WANT something to be wrong? Other than the obvious that it's a modern tight tolerance high load at low rpm engine...

Last edited by bbnks2; 12-16-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
9krpmrx8808.00
      12-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #395
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
again you're just making stuff up.

BMW didn't come up with any "oil prime procedure" because of the OFHG.

BMW released a generic SIB (service bulletin) to ensure their techs were priming the engine after ANY service work that open the oil galleys. OFHG was literally 1 word and line in a 2 page document. There is no BMW procedure specifically addressing any OFHG issue.

I only brought up the OFHG because it's jut another example of how people claim it only happens to N55's like rod knock. I was being facetious.

You're literally saying it IS the valve without ANY reason for saying so. Alll I am doing is saying you CAN'T do that. It's wrong. It does nothing to solve anything other than create rumors.

I actually do at least have SOMETHING to say that it's NOT related to the oil control valve and I already stated such... oil pressure logs and the fact that n54's and other bmws also spin bearings and don't have any oil control valve. I also point out the function of the oil control valve makes the theory not make sense. Go ahead and unplug your oil control valve... then log oil pressure. let me know what happens.

Your only backing for your statement is your opinion that you pulled out of thin air.

N54 also have 8-bolt cranks. That is the reason why they don't spin bearings! (sarcasm). I really think you downplay just how many n54's get posted up with rod knock. You're stuck in this 2011 N55 bubble sitting here on this forum. Maybe because you just WANT something to be wrong? Other than the obvious that it's a modern tight tolerance high load at low rpm engine...
Same with you as you don’t have any logs of any other engine that failed other than your own n55 that failed on track just like mine n54 did twice as I have been tracking it since 2010. Show other logs. Prove me wrong. Don’t tell me to show you mine. If I create rumors you are gaslighting me. Chronologically the bmw bulletin whether is 1, 2 or 1/2 a page, length is irrelevant, corresponds with the time frame of significant number of n55 failures after OFHG repairs specifically. Is my analogy faulty? I’m I stuck? Maybe, but as n55 being a newer engine these issues haven’t been experienced and dealt with in the past, and if you go in the past for n54, some are 13-14 years old now, there won’t be any reported cases of same failures and that platform has been push fat greater than n55 in terms of engine output that the tight clearances need to cope with. You think that’s the issue or maybe you was just sarcastic. I don’t want anything to be wrong. I don’t know what the actual problem is. I have said that. You don’t know either but yet dismiss any other person option. I’m just sharing my observation, from both, what I see online and what I see in that repair shop. MightyMouseTech pointed the same, that bmw engines with electronic oil control experience this issue far more than engines without.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #396
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I think the first critical mistake in any analysis here is to not be open minded about the possibilities. Especially when we are working with very limited data.

The second mistake is when we try to compare the N55 to n54. In most ways these engines are similar but yet they are very different. Especially the oil system. So it doesnt actually matter how many rods n54s spin. Because they are not a truly apple to apple comparison. In engineering world, EVERY nut and bolt has to be the same to compare these two engines.

This is a N55 issue. And it has to be looked at as such. Forget n54.

The fact that one has 1 turbo and the other 2 tells you that fundamentally the oiling is completely different.

So for the love of god dont tell us how many n54s fail. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You might as well tell me how many boxer subaru engines fail...
Appreciate 3