E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Supermarket fuel vs Shell V Power

09-14-2020, 03:28 AM   #23
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
That doesn't mean that you get vpower at asda. You could well get something very similar to fuelsave, but I think it unlikely you'll get vpower.
yeh just ordinary derv,,but if suoper markets sold poor fuel they would be liable,,,,poor maintainance is why folks car's run shit,,,,why have i never ever had a running problem with any derv car ive had ?,only ever use asda and sometimes if im caught short whatever is nearest....i change fuel filter eevry other service and no more than 25k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:34 AM   #24
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yep, it all has to conform to BS 590 or whatever the standard is, as a *minimum*. But for certain, not all fuels are equal even if they don't cause problems. For example I get better MPG on shell fuel than any supermarket stuff I've used, every time (with comparable driving conditions). And that's not comparing standard with vpower, etc.

I think that where lower quality fuels cause issues is if there's a mechanical/electrical fault with the engine which is exacerbated by the slightly lower grade fuel, or if the car is only used for short trips and the increase in soot causes DPF issues more quickly.

My car has always run fine on whatever diesel I've put in it, but definitely feels and sounds nicer/smoother with premium fuel...as well as a consistent improvement in MPG.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #25
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

There was a big thread on another forum with some people swearing it is all the same fuel in the main, with the premium having different additive packages. Some said they had seen the fuel tankers go from a Shell then to a supermarket to deliver. Some even claimed to be tanker drivers themselves saying similar.

I've used mainly Shell Regular or V Power for a few years now since I had failed O2 sensors and fuel injector issues after regularly filling up at Costco/Morrisons etc.

The butt dyno seems to think V Power is better, but I get the feeling I've fallen for the snake oil salesman tactics.

For you oil burner drivers out there, surely you can chuck anything in, even chip oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:28 AM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Nope. Rolling coal won't just run on any old coal... Our engines are possibly even more sensitive, to be honest; not only do we need fuel with a decent cetane number (diesel equivalent of octane), but the whole lot needs to burn cleanly otherwise our dpfs clog up way quicker.
Appreciate 0