E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate flapper broken off into turbo

12-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Wastegate flapper broken off into turbo

I'm just curious but this is the second time this has happened, my wastegate flapper that opens and closes inside the turbo has completely broken off into the turbo again but luckily I caught it before it completely fell into the wheel and broke it like last time. Has anyone had this problem?
      12-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I have never heard nor seen this happen. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I have never heard nor seen this happen. Sorry.
I know that's I'm saying I've looked everywhere and can't find anything it's the strangest thing
      12-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_bmw View Post
I know that's I'm saying I've looked everywhere and can't find anything it's the strangest thing
Are these OEM turbos or aftermarket? Rebuilt?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Are these OEM turbos or aftermarket? Rebuilt?
The first set was oem turbos when I bought the car and the second set (now) is the rebuilt vtt oem ones!
      12-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 e46 325i, 2008 e90 335i

I've never seen or heard anything like this in my turbo research. Did this occur on the same bank the second time it happened? Or did a rear go then a front go? Also, were the wastegate arms ever adjusted when installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 03:22 AM   #7
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90lmao View Post
I've never seen or heard anything like this in my turbo research. Did this occur on the same bank the second time it happened? Or did a rear go then a front go? Also, were the wastegate arms ever adjusted when installed?
I'm not sure which turbo was the first one that's when I first got the car and didn't know much about the car but now I know so much, this time it was the front turbo because I wasn't building any boost just a 30ff that's when I took the downpipes off and there it was just hanging there but I think I'm gonna go ahead and get some rb turbos maybe stage two since I've been emailing him! Just want something reliable and he seems genuine on his products
      12-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 e46 325i, 2008 e90 335i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure which turbo was the first one that's when I first got the car and didn't know much about the car but now I know so much, this time it was the front turbo because I wasn't building any boost just a 30ff that's when I took the downpipes off and there it was just hanging there but I think I'm gonna go ahead and get some rb turbos maybe stage two since I've been emailing him! Just want something reliable and he seems genuine on his products
Ah gotcha, sounds like a good plan! Of all the turbo options I've seen so far I think that's your safest route! Personally I've spoken to one friend who ran a set of brand new Vargas turbos and within less than a year he already is getting wastegate rattle bad...
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Quote:
His products are top notch no doubt. I have his 17T Game Finishers.
      12-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
The first set was oem turbos when I bought the car and the second set (now) is the rebuilt vtt oem ones!
What did VTT say about it?

Shame the chinese wastegate failed. Not a common failure. But it is VTT after all

It's probably the oil your run j/k
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Quote:
What did VTT say about it?

Shame the chinese wastegate failed. Not a common failure. But it is VTT after all

It's probably the oil your run j/k
I'm way out of any warranty so I didn't worry about even contacting them but I run the right oil! It just doesn't make any sense on how that could possibly break off?
      12-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm way out of any warranty so I didn't worry about even contacting them but I run the right oil! It just doesn't make any sense on how that could possibly break off?
Extremely uncommon. What is the standard warranty?

The oil is a joke, VTT was known in the past to fail people because of using the 'wrong' oil and even at one point said they would require an oil analysis from someone like Blackstone before issuing an rma/warranty replacement. They have since gone back on this as it is the most ridiculous thing ever conceived and obviously just used to deny warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #13
Andrew_bmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Quote:
Extremely uncommon. What is the standard warranty?

The oil is a joke, VTT was known in the past to fail people because of using the 'wrong' oil and even at one point said they would require an oil analysis from someone like Blackstone before issuing an rma/warranty replacement. They have since gone back on this as it is the most ridiculous thing ever conceived and obviously just used to deny warranty claims.
You know what I'm not too sure what the warranty is but it's probably only a year I've had it for almost 2 years but then again I'm not tuned at all just running stock boost I do have MHD no burble tune thing so it blows my mind on how this would happen and I could just put new wastegates in but I don't feel like going through all that work when I don't even know when the turbo seals are gonna go since it's from vtt. I'm not trying to bash them but they haven't been very reliable for me unfortunately