E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DIY Key Fob Programming Experiment

11-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #89
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
Thanks! I found your other very helpful post on keys and tried to delete my question, but you're quick! Just ordered the battery - will break out the solder gun. Maybe I'll take a video to help move this effort forward...
A video would be a great idea. I always wanted to make video on how to use BMW standard tools but I do not have the skills for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #90
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

so this seems to be a good place to ask this.

I have a CA car. WHen I bought it, it was obvious that one of the fobs was brand new. The new fob does not do CA things.
It will open/close with the fob buttons, and it does start the car.

thoughts?
I've heard about moving the key ID and changing it's identifier in INPA, but I'll be damned if I can find that section of the programming. Does it have to be done in NCSexpert?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #91
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
so this seems to be a good place to ask this.

I have a CA car. WHen I bought it, it was obvious that one of the fobs was brand new. The new fob does not do CA things.
It will open/close with the fob buttons, and it does start the car.

thoughts?
I've heard about moving the key ID and changing it's identifier in INPA, but I'll be damned if I can find that section of the programming. Does it have to be done in NCSexpert?
The PO was too cheap to buy a CA fob and had a non CA fob made. My car has two CA keys, two non ca keys and a wallet key.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #92
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

the fob that does not work is a CA fob.

it is identical to the working one.
it just doesn't do CA things.

I'm just not sure where I go and find the key fob list in the CAS so that I can demote the lost fob and promote this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #93
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
the fob that does not work is a CA fob.

it is identical to the working one.
it just doesn't do CA things.

I'm just not sure where I go and find the key fob list in the CAS so that I can demote the lost fob and promote this one.
They have the same FFC IDs? Then you need to disable the lost key. I think you may be able to do that in INPA.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #94
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

yes.

they are identical.

just one works and one doesnt. I assume that they were cloned by a locksmith or someone not BMW, and they didn't have the ability to change the cars behavior.

What I'm struggling with is finding the right spot in INPA to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #95
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

CA only works with 2 keys at a time, the 2 CA keys with the lowest key number, and are enabled.

When your car was first delivered, it probably came with 3 keys, 2 CA keys, and 1 emergency key. The emergency key was most likely key #1 and the 2 CA keys were #2 and #3. If you lose a CA key, and order another, it will come with a higher key number, so in order to get CA to work, you need to disable the lost CA key.

My guess is that if the key you have is CA, and it works with everything but CA, then you have 2 enabled CA keys with lower key numbers. It's very easy to disable a key, the dealer should do it for free. Call the dealer and tell them you want to disable a key that is lost. You will be required to take all your keys so they can determine what key is lost. Once the lost key is disabled, your other CA key will start working.

If the dealer wants to charge you, it's very easy to disable keys with tool32, so you could do it yourself for the cost of a D/Kcan cable.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
Nickco431456.00
      11-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #96
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
CA only works with 2 keys at a time, the 2 CA keys with the lowest key number, and are enabled.

When your car was first delivered, it probably came with 3 keys, 2 CA keys, and 1 emergency key. The emergency key was most likely key #1 and the 2 CA keys were #2 and #3. If you lose a CA key, and order another, it will come with a higher key number, so in order to get CA to work, you need to disable the lost CA key.

My guess is that if the key you have is CA, and it works with everything but CA, then you have 2 enabled CA keys with lower key numbers. It's very easy to disable a key, the dealer should do it for free. Call the dealer and tell them you want to disable a key that is lost. You will be required to take all your keys so they can determine what key is lost. Once the lost key is disabled, your other CA key will start working.

If the dealer wants to charge you, it's very easy to disable keys with tool32, so you could do it yourself for the cost of a D/Kcan cable.
the nearest dealer is 65 miles from here, and I doubt they do it for free.

I already have a can cable and bmw tools.

as I said, I can't find the process to actually do this. Some say INPA, some say tool32.

Do you know how to demote a key from the CA list and promote a new key into that position?
If so, that's all I want.
I already know what the solution is, I just don't know how to get from here to there because everyone just says go and do it with practically no information.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #97
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Incredible thread and enjoyed reading though a bit technical for me. i have a non ca 335d with only one key. I busted my second key when opening to replace battery.

Anyway, i was researching remote starters and ebay has one for $60 that included two fobs and remote start with no need for the actual bmw key.

Do these work?

thought i'd hijack this thread in case anyone had the same thoughts about
a) not wanting to spend the cash at the dealership
b)not wanting to make my own key work using programming and needing the bmw multi tool
c) want remote start and don't care if someone tries to steal the car while the car is idling...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #98
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex sol View Post
Incredible thread and enjoyed reading though a bit technical for me. i have a non ca 335d with only one key. I busted my second key when opening to replace battery.

Anyway, i was researching remote starters and ebay has one for $60 that included two fobs and remote start with no need for the actual bmw key.

Do these work?

thought i'd hijack this thread in case anyone had the same thoughts about
a) not wanting to spend the cash at the dealership
b)not wanting to make my own key work using programming and needing the bmw multi tool
c) want remote start and don't care if someone tries to steal the car while the car is idling...

I have never used an aftermarket remote start system before so I could not comment on the quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #99
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

I have installed fortin remote starts, capable of interacting with the can bus.
uses the factory fob to trigger remote start, learns the canbus stuff to bypass theft protection.

I would much prefer that to some random ebay deal.
I also don't believe that a 60 dollar ebay remote start is capable of bypassing the CAS security check.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #100
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/bmw/3_s...push-to-start/

the fortin can bus capable unit that uses your fob is $100.

you'll need the software and programming cable as well, unless you have it installed by someone.
it still says it requires the factory RFID in the car to bypass security.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #101
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/bmw/3_s...push-to-start/

the fortin can bus capable unit that uses your fob is $100.

you'll need the software and programming cable as well, unless you have it installed by someone.
it still says it requires the factory RFID in the car to bypass security.
That box looks amazing. Your telling me I can program that box in my car and I can use my factory key for remote start? Also the price is in CAD instead of USD.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #102
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

because they are a canadian company.

it worked fine in my mother's ford. You hit the keyfob lock button three times in less than 5 seconds, it starts the car. runs it for fifteen minutes and if it doesn't detect the drivers door opening it shuts the ignition back off. hers did not require a rfid tag to be present in the car, the box bypassed the ford security by learning the canbus stuff. I'm not sure if it can bypass the BMW security.
contact their tech support.
and by the t harness for the ignition if it's available. Saves hacking up ignition harness.

edit:
it tapped into the canbus wires at the OBD port to pick up the lock trigger signal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #103
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

nsjames, thanks for chiming in. I just happened to come across the fortin website and they are proudly Canadian! I see the $99 security and $199 security with remote. Looks like we need some extra bits to work with the BMW push starts... install supposed to be straightforward... famous last words...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #104
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

here are the installation instructions. I'm unclear about what to do with the key fob? i see it needs to be in the key hole for manual transmissions. What about automatics like on the 335d and other e90 automatic transmissions? It looks like you wind the key and key barrel with the coil of wire so the key is always in the car. Then you rely on the key fobs supplied by Fortin.

http://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/6195...w2_a_61951.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #105
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

it uses the OE fob.
they do not include one.

you really need to contact fortin. It appears you have to mount a RFID module so the car can read it in order to bypass the security.
that would make your car vulnerable to theft.

but they also have key programming/bypass instructions. It may be dependent if you have CA or not.

again, I'm unfamiliar with installation in a BMW, best to contact fortin directly.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #106
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
The CAS module you pulled out of the junkyard E60 was a CAS3 unit? Do you believe it to be encrypted? Did you ever try the R270 on a CAS2 unit?

I have a CAS2 unit in my car and was hoping to program a second non-CA key into my car. I was hoping that a R270 / Hitag2 clone would do the trick.

Also, as I'm fancying the idea of a CA retrofit, for the aftermarket CA key transplant into the OEM body / board, was the transponder IC the same? If not, what was the part markings on the aftermarket CA key's transponder chip? I am finding it impossible to find blank transponder chips only (CA or non-CA?)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #107
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
The CAS module you pulled out of the junkyard E60 was a CAS3 unit? Do you believe it to be encrypted? Did you ever try the R270 on a CAS2 unit?

I have a CAS2 unit in my car and was hoping to program a second non-CA key into my car. I was hoping that a R270 / Hitag2 clone would do the trick.

Also, as I'm fancying the idea of a CA retrofit, for the aftermarket CA key transplant into the OEM body / board, was the transponder IC the same? If not, what was the part markings on the aftermarket CA key's transponder chip? I am finding it impossible to find blank transponder chips only (CA or non-CA?)
I never got my R270 to work. I will say it is worth it to buy the BMW multi tool, make a few keys and then sell the tool on ebay for $300-$400.

I used these keys for my CA keys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Read-Descri...item4d5c1ce65f
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #108
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I never got my R270 to work. I will say it is worth it to buy the BMW multi tool, make a few keys and then sell the tool on ebay for $300-$400.

I used these keys for my CA keys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Read-Descri...item4d5c1ce65f
I'm up for the challenge of trying the "cheap" R270 / hitag2 solution. I read on DK that sometimes the you need to disconnect the crystal feeding the MCU at pin 24 and drive it directly with the clock signal instead.

I'm a little confused, is that ebay CA key the one that worked and failed (and then transplanted?) or was this an entirely different one that just worked?

In other news, you inspired me to retrofit active cruise control as I already have all the parts from a donor car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #109
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
I'm up for the challenge of trying the "cheap" R270 / hitag2 solution. I read on DK that sometimes the you need to disconnect the crystal feeding the MCU at pin 24 and drive it directly with the clock signal instead.

I'm a little confused, is that ebay CA key the one that worked and failed (and then transplanted?) or was this an entirely different one that just worked?

In other news, you inspired me to retrofit active cruise control as I already have all the parts from a donor car.
This key worked without any modification. It was the nicest key I bought.

Getting all the parts for ACC is the hardest part. ACC is nice when I am tired I can let the computer take control. I really wish my car had front collision mitigation so it beeps at you and will brake automatically.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #110
saijin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

Hi guys,

So my 2007 328xi Key buttons kinda stopped working.
Sometimes they lock and unlock, but most of the time I have to use the metal key.

Bought a new battery, soldered it on and still the same thing.

Just wondering what my options are, need your help in this.

1. Would I be able to fix it myself with your help?

2. I bought a CAS3 aftermarket key from amazon for $18 . People said
it's junk... is it true?

3. If I need someone to do it for me, is there any in Colorado?

Thanlks!
Appreciate 0