E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > [HELP] - E90 battery died, now steering lock on

12-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
DylxnJames
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E90

Angry [HELP] - E90 battery died, now steering lock on

Hi All,

Came out this morning to a flat battery on my 56 plate (2006) 3 series. Must have left a light on or something. Anyway, get some jump cables on, give it 10 minutes to get some charge, stick the key in to start it and I am greeted with the steering wheel lock dash light (Red) and the car wont turn on at all.

I left the battery to charge, went back a few hours later, steering lock light still there and engine still wont start.

How did my battery going flat prompt the car to decide it fancied locking the wheel and not letting me start the car?! Had zero issue with it before, no cause for concern...

I have ordered a can cable and have the bmw software ready to go but all of this hassle because the battery died? Does this happen every time a BMW battery goes flat?

Last edited by DylxnJames; 12-22-2020 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

What's your voltage at the battery? There's a chance you've drained it beyond recovery and it may need a new battery
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Yep pretty much. This is common for a BMW. Best solution is to take battery out and charge than get tested while out of car. Any other way can cause more issues (jumping). You see it all the time, jumped the car now wont start.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylxnJames View Post
Hi All,

Came out this morning to a flat battery on my 56 plate 3 series. Must have left a light on or something. Anyway, get some jump cables on, give it 10 minutes to get some charge, stick the key in to start it and I am greeted with the steering wheel lock dash light (Red) and the car wont turn on at all.

I left the battery to charge, went back a few hours later, steering lock light still there and engine still wont start.

How did my battery going flat prompt the car to decide it fancied locking the wheel and not letting me start the car?! Had zero issue with it before, no cause for concern...

I have ordered a can cable and have the bmw software ready to go but all of this hassle because the battery died? Does this happen every time a BMW battery goes flat?
If the steering lock symbol is red, you will need to reset the ELV counter and CAS. No this doesn't happen everytime a battery dies. It usually only happens if the battery has been in poor condition for a long time. Get the battery charged and tested with a proper battery tester. You will more than likely need a new battery. Then reset the counters after rectifying the battery issue. Be sure to check the alternator charge rate after you get it running.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      12-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
DylxnJames
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
What's your voltage at the battery? There's a chance you've drained it beyond recovery and it may need a new battery
Sitting just over 12v. Just strange there were no warnings about the battery
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
DylxnJames
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
If the steering lock symbol is red, you will need to reset the ELV counter and CAS. No this doesn't happen everytime a battery dies. It usually only happens if the battery has been in poor condition for a long time. Get the battery charged and tested with a proper battery tester. You will more than likely need a new battery. Then reset the counters after rectifying the battery issue. Be sure to check the alternator charge rate after you get it running.
Got the can cable coming and have the laptop pre-loaded with the software so will see how that goes. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I managed to google that a 56 plate is and 2006 but most of us
here will have no idea of what that means.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=elv

I have and 06 and have had to replace the steering column because of this
wacky problem .
However when I installed and aftermarket stereo and when I changed the battery
the problem did not pop up.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
DylxnJames
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I managed to google that a 56 plate is and 2006 but most of us
here will have no idea of what that means.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...&highlight=elv

I have and 06 and have had to replace the steering column because of this
wacky problem .
However when I installed and aftermarket stereo and when I changed the battery
the problem did not pop up.
My bad, yes its a 2006. I'm praying that I don't have to replace the steering column and that clearing the code will do the job. You would think there would be some indication that the part is going faulty, not just locking up and refusing to budge!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Seems strange that it would go bad at precisely the time you changed the battery.
Usually it gives you a bunch of yellow faults first.

See the link I sent that really covers it better than anything else.

You can try cleaning an re lubing the plastic gear box for the lock mechanism
unfortunately that requires taking the damn column out .
Appreciate 0