E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E92 Steering column replacement

02-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Volatile_
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Angry E92 Steering column replacement

Hey guys.

I got the infamous red steering lock on my 07 E92 328i a couple of months ago, and ended up parking it until I could get it taken care of.

I wanted to replace the steering column myself since the stealership wants ~$2,000 for the job and of course I'm out of warranty/no good will repair is possible . My question is can I buy a used steering column? I want to go as cheap as possible because as soon as this is done it's getting sold back to the dealership as this car has been nothing but problems. If I have to go new so be it, but I wanted to check if going used was a viable option. I also wanted to ask if there were any computer issues I would encounter doing this myself, like programming anything, since I've heard these cars are sensitive.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
There was a DIY here to fix the steering lock itself and avoid replacing the entire steering column. I have also seen a chip or something or other than can be fitted to the steering lock to kill (prevent it from locking) the locking function. Not so sure I would want to do this since it makes car theft more easy.

I am sure a good used steering column is a safe option though, provided it has not sustained damaged from accident damage etc. As for the removal and fitting of another steering column, I suspect this is going to be a PITA job, even the DIY above looked pretty involved!

Appreciate 0