E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > New Motor different HPFP

08-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

New Motor different HPFP

Hey guys, I had the opportunity to buy a G1000 from Ghassan Automotives for a really good price and I plan on dropping that motor in my 335, only issue is that I have a late N55e with a f30 style pump, now I had previously upgraded with a stage 2 hpfp from Dorch engineering currently on it, and the vacuum pump mounting style is different from the early n55s and I’m having a tough time seeing if I can remove the early n55 pump and bolt up my newer style one, unfortunately all I am seeing is people talking about using the older style for the newer n55e because they’re a better flow rate, what are the chances that the flow rate is better than a stage 2 pump from Dorch? If it isn’t better than I would like to see if I can fit it with the newer style to accommodate the stage 2 pump, I hope I’m making sense
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

The old stock style defintaley beats the new stock style, but I'd take a new style dorch stage 2 over the old stock style. I think the only way the old stock style would beat a dorch stage 2 if if you put a PFS POD overdrive on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Plus I believe new style is a more reliable type of pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Plus I believe new style is a more reliable type of pump.
Do you know if it can physically fit my new vacuum pump to allow me to continue using my stg2 hpfp? I did read there’s some DME programming and voltage difference between the 2 pumps my car is currently intended for the new style but I need to figure out if I can just unbolt the vacuum pump and pop on my newer style
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlyN55 View Post
Do you know if it can physically fit my new vacuum pump to allow me to continue using my stg2 hpfp? I did read there’s some DME programming and voltage difference between the 2 pumps my car is currently intended for the new style but I need to figure out if I can just unbolt the vacuum pump and pop on my newer style
Sorry, I brain farted and for some reason didn't put 2 & 2 together that you'd be running the old DME with the replacement engine with the older style hpfp. I'm not sure if you can connect a new style pump to an old style dme and have it work. Also not sure about the physical compatibility with the vacuum pump housing.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #6
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I brain farted and for some reason didn't put 2 and 2 together that you'd be running the old DME with the replacement engine. I'm not sure if you can connect a new style pump to an old style dme and have it work. Also not sure about the physical compatibility with the vacuum pump housing. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help with this one. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #7
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Do I understand it correctly that you had an n55 with f chassis style hpfp but now you got an early n55 with the same hpfp as an n54? From what I saw on some other forum, early n55 with the n54 hpfp has a different vacuum pump/hpfp chain tensioner compared to the later style n55 with f chassis style hpfp. That tensioner is not sufficient for driving later style hpfp and the chain tends to stretch really quick and come off. I’ve also heard that the newer style tensioner can’t be mounted to the early style block.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
PearlyN55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Do I understand it correctly that you had an n55 with f chassis style hpfp but now you got an early n55 with the same hpfp as an n54? From what I saw on some other forum, early n55 with the n54 hpfp has a different vacuum pump/hpfp chain tensioner compared to the later style n55 with f chassis style hpfp. That tensioner is not sufficient for driving later style hpfp and the chain tends to stretch really quick and come off. I’ve also heard that the newer style tensioner can’t be mounted to the early style block.
saw the same only issue is that if i simply change the front face of pump attaching to the hpfp then theoretically it should work just wanted to see if anyone knows or has heard if possible
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #9
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
saw the same only issue is that if i simply change the front face of pump attaching to the hpfp then theoretically it should work just wanted to see if anyone knows or has heard if possible
Not saying it won’t bolt up, just read that somebody did this and the vacuum pump chain kept coming off due to insufficient tension and quick stretching.
Appreciate 0