E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E Series NBT Evo Retrofit Development Thread

03-31-2024, 04:24 PM   #441
painsage
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 520d

Hello all, managed to get ahead of the project a bit, today got all of the files changed that i wanted via SSH, car icons, boot logos etc. Now i coded the unit according to the user manual, but now i get black screen, and nothing else. Unit is still on bench connected to ZGW, without the eNBT adapter, i think regardless it should give out a picture, or maybe i missed a step in the coding? Can anyone share their experience with the coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:48 AM   #442
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by painsage View Post
Hello all, managed to get ahead of the project a bit, today got all of the files changed that i wanted via SSH, car icons, boot logos etc. Now i coded the unit according to the user manual, but now i get black screen, and nothing else. Unit is still on bench connected to ZGW, without the eNBT adapter, i think regardless it should give out a picture, or maybe i missed a step in the coding? Can anyone share their experience with the coding?
Do you get no signal message or completely black screen? If all black screen check what have you under VEHICLE_STATE_CONCEPT, should be conventional_clamp.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:01 AM   #443
painsage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Do you get no signal message or completely black screen? If all black screen check what have you under VEHICLE_STATE_CONCEPT, should be conventional_clamp.
I realized that someone had rewired the emulator, not to be the factory pinout like in the schematics, today im gonna revert it back to stock and try then. I noticed on my bench, changing gatewaytable to 5 or 7 makes it blackscreen, im guessing the eNBT will fix this when its all in car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:37 AM   #444
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I realized that someone had rewired the emulator, not to be the factory pinout like in the schematics, today im gonna revert it back to stock and try then. I noticed on my bench, changing gatewaytable to 5 or 7 makes it blackscreen, im guessing the eNBT will fix this when its all in car?
Mine's set to 5 and runs fine on the bench without emulator connected.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:51 AM   #445
painsage
Rep

Quote:
Mine's set to 5 and runs fine on the bench without emulator connected.
My ID6 is from G30 so its KCAN4, i have not gotten an answer yet does the adapter support KCAN4...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:59 AM   #446
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
My ID6 is from G30 so its KCAN4, i have not gotten an answer yet does the adapter support KCAN4...
So is mine, but that makes no difference. KCAN4 in G30 is an equivalent of KCAN2 in Fxx. It's just an arbitrary number to differentiate CAN buses - i.e. they were given numbers to differentiate their use. KCAN4 connects HU, ATM, IHKA and ZBE, but the technical spec of each is the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:02 AM   #447
painsage
Rep

Quote:
So is mine, but that makes no difference. KCAN4 in G30 is an equivalent of KCAN2 in Fxx. It's just an arbitrary number to differentiate CAN buses - i.e. they were given numbers to differentiate their use, 4 does HU, ATM, IHKA, ZBE etc. But the technical spec of each is the same.
You saved me of hours of overthinking, thanks a lot. Im using ZBE3 from NBT from F10, i did zbe_35UP to nicht aktiv in my EVO, this should make the controller work, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:06 AM   #448
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
So is mine, but that makes no difference. KCAN4 in G30 is an equivalent of KCAN2 in Fxx. It's just an arbitrary number to differentiate CAN buses - i.e. they were given numbers to differentiate their use. KCAN4 connects HU, ATM, IHKA and ZBE, but the technical spec of each is the same.
I'm not sure this is totally accurate- aren't some of the KCAN buses are actually running at different frequencies and possibly data length? While I'm sure that some of properties of the different KCAN networks in the car are the same, I don't think they are all the same and the numbering is totally arbitrary.
      04-02-2024, 08:14 AM   #449
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
I'm not sure this is totally accurate- aren't some of the KCAN buses are actually running at different frequencies and possibly data length? While I'm sure that some of properties of the different KCAN networks in the car are the same, I don't think they are all the same and the numbering is totally arbitrary.
This is from TIS:
Quote:
The K-CAN is counted according to the number of bus connections that lead from the central gateway module: for example K-CAN2 to K-CAN8.

Overview of the bus systems

In principle, two groups of bus systems are distinguished:

-> Main bus systems: for example, Ethernet, FlexRay, K-CAN2 to K-CAN8, MOST, PT-CAN and PT-CAN2

‐> Sub‐bus systems: BSD, D‐CAN (diagnosis-on-CAN), LIN, local CAN

Body CAN: Body CAN

The K‐CAN is responsible for communication of the components with low data transfer rates. The K-CAN is also linked to the other bus systems via the central gateway module (ZGM). A number of control units in the K‐CAN have a LIN bus as sub‐bus. The K‐CAN has a data transfer rate of 100 kBit/s and consists of 2 twisted cores (two twisted wires). The K‐CAN has the possibility to be operated as a single-wire bus in the event of errors.

Body-CAN2 to body-CAN8: K-CAN2 to K-CAN8

The K-CAN2 to K-CAN8 is responsible for communication of control units with high data transfer rate. The K-CAN2 is also linked with the other bus systems via the central gateway module (ZGM). The K-CAN2 to K-CAN8 has a data transfer rate of 500 kBit/s and consists of 2 twisted cores.

Powertrain CAN: PT-CAN

The PT‐CAN connects the engine control system with the transmission control unit, but also interconnects systems in the area of safety and driver assistance systems. It is line-based with tap lines to the individual systems. The PT‐CAN has a data transfer rate of 500 kBit/s and consists of 2 twisted cores.

Powertrain CAN2: PT-CAN2

The PT‐CAN2 forms a redundancy for the PT‐CAN in the area of the engine control system and also transfers signals to the fuel pump control module. The PT‐CAN2 has a data transfer rate of 500 kBit/s and consists of 2 cores with an additional wake-up line.

Ethernet

Ethernet is a manufacturer-neutral, cable-based network technology with a data transfer rate of 100 MBit/s. The TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) and UDP (User Datagram Protocol) protocols are used as transfer protocols.

FlexRay

With a maximum data transfer rate of 10 MBit/s per channel, FlexRay is significantly faster than the data buses used so far in vehicles in the areas of body and drive/chassis and suspension. The central gateway module sets up the link between the various bus systems and the FlexRay. Depending on the equipment fitted in the vehicle, the ZGM has one or two so-called star couplers, each with four bus drivers. The bus drivers forward the data of the control units via the communication controller to the central gateway module. The deterministic data interchange ensures that each message is transferred in the time-controlled section in real time. Real time means that the transmission takes place in a specified time.

MOST bus system

MOST is a data bus technology for multimedia applications. The MOST bus uses light impulses for the data transfer at a rate of 22.5 MBit/s and has a ring structure. Data transfer on the ring bus takes place in one direction only. Only the central gateway module can implement data exchange between the MOST bus and other bus systems. The car information computer (CIC) acts as the master control unit The gateway to the rest of the bus system is the central gateway module.
So as you can see there are various buses in a car, but all KCAN2 to KCAN8 are the same. They just connect different equipment to make the required topography and not overload each bus.
Appreciate 1
rlesko223.50
      04-02-2024, 08:17 AM   #450
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
You saved me of hours of overthinking, thanks a lot. Im using ZBE3 from NBT from F10, i did zbe_35UP to nicht aktiv in my EVO, this should make the controller work, correct?
I didn't change anything for the ZBE apart from coding in all ZBE_TOUCH functions. As far as I can tell, ZBE from F10 and G30 are the same, just the button layout is different, but you can change that with coding to suit yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:21 AM   #451
painsage
Rep

Quote:
I didn't change anything for the ZBE apart from coding in all ZBE_TOUCH functions. As far as I can tell, ZBE from F10 and G30 are the same, just the button layout is different, but you can change that with coding to suit yours.
Hmm, im gonna try. The only thing thats weird right now is the gatewaytable thing. I am using ZGW2 on my bench, how about you?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:24 AM   #452
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm, im gonna try. The only thing thats weird right now is the gatewaytable thing. I am using ZGW2 on my bench, how about you?
I'm using ZGW-02 8SK as I read somewhere that others can cause communications issues of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:26 AM   #453
painsage
Rep

Quote:
I'm using ZGW-02 8SK as I read somewhere that others can cause communications issues of some sort.
I had ZGW1 black box with most, then flashed to ZGW2, maybe thats whats causing the gatewaytable issue. Im gonna update you when im in car.
EDIT: Can you PM me any of your contact info in case i need help? I cant use PM function.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:27 AM   #454
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I had ZGW1 black box with most, then flashed to ZGW2, maybe thats whats causing the gatewaytable issue. Im gonna update you when im in car.
That would explain your issues, I think...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:35 AM   #455
painsage
Rep

Quote:
That would explain your issues, I think...
One more thing, what adapter are you using? I'm using the base NBT adapter from Adrian (CarSystems), the one with 10 pins.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:38 AM   #456
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
EDIT: Can you PM me any of your contact info in case i need help? I cant use PM function.
My DMs are disabled, was getting too many messages. Here, it will save me typing all of that, at the end of this video you will find all my contact details.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:39 AM   #457
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
One more thing, what adapter are you using? I'm using the base NBT adapter from Adrian (CarSystems), the one with 10 pins.
I think the forum is blocking that link... www . bmw custom retrofit . com /navigation-retrofits/bmw-nbt-retrofit-adapter-for-e-series-nbt-e-series-evo-id5-id6
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:48 AM   #458
painsage
Rep

Quote:
I think the forum is blocking that link... www . bmw custom retrofit . com /navigation-retrofits/bmw-nbt-retrofit-adapter-for-e-series-nbt-e-series-evo-id5-id6
I have that exact one, im gonna shoot you a DM on Facebook, already sent a request, thanks a lot.
Appreciate 1