E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Eurocharged vs Dinan Tune N55

12-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Eurocharged vs Dinan Tune N55

To start, I have searched on this extensively but have been able to find detailed information that would allow me to compare and for my specific purpose.

Often I see the suggestion to go JB4 and MHD however, I would prefer a flash tune, and the local support of vendors like Eurocharged, or the industry reputation like Dinan.

That being said, this is where I am having trouble choosing between the Eurocharged tune or the Dinan S2 Tune. My target is to see a noticeable increase in power, while maintaining the longevity and reliability of my motor ie. Mid 300's for both HP and TQ to the wheel. Considering Im already PPK tuned, my worry is the Dinan may be too conservative and not noticeable at that price.

**Note: Will NOT be doing Catless or Catted DP

2011 E92 335i Xdrive (AT) - N55
-43,000kms with 5w40 Liquimolly oil changes every 5000kms
-Typically filling with Petro 94 or Shell 91
-AFE Dry Drop-In Filter
-PE Mod
-PPK Tuned

Option 1: Eurocharged Tune Stage 1
- Roughly $1K CAD
- Results vary based on mods and other conditions, but overwhelmingly positive reviews
- Seems that boost is set to roughly 17-18PSI
(im not sure if this is too much for sustained periods on stock motor/turbos and how it may affect longevity)

Option 2: Dinan S2 Tune
- Roughly $1.2K CAD
- Mixed reviews on this
- Unable to confirm but boost may be set lower around 13-15psi
- Their site also seems to indicate other changes ie. increase of waterpump speed for better cooling

Hoping some of you are on either of these tunes and can chime in, even better if you went from PPK to one of these tunes to speak to the differences. Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
C2YT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

MHD and JB4 are recommended for a reason. There is no point in spending over $1,000 on a tune for minimal gains.

You have an 11' so your best option would be a MHD flash. Take the money you are saving and put it towards a downpipe or intercooler, or both.

That is my opinion. There is support both on the flash only side of MHD, and BMS has a website dedicated to JB4 support. If you would like the benefits of both you could also do a BEF, but I wouldn't bother unless you are FBO.

Bottom line, flash tune it with MHD and be happy.
      12-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep

While I understand your perspective, MHD and JB4 are not in my option list and I am not considering them.

There is a reason why there are a number of people are using and paying 1k for Dinan and Eurocharged tunes, which are basically a set it and forget it approach for someone who does not what customization on the fly, map switching options or to have to upload the software themselves.

The costs between the two are comparable and not the critical factor and the term minimal gains is very relative to the person.

Eurocharged having a Toronto location, seems to have a fairly large following on BMWTN so hoping someone here can shed some light on their experience, as Im leaning that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

MHD is also set it and forget it, but with the benefit of logging.

There is really no reason to get either of the tunes you mention unless you are set on spending more than you need to.
Appreciate 1
Pladi717.00
      12-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep

ok lets assume thats what Im set on for arguments sake - Im set on spending more than I need to.

Lets move on and possibly get responses from people who have spent more than they needed to
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
ok lets assume thats what Im set on for arguments sake - Im set on spending more than I need to.

Lets move on and possibly get responses from people who have spent more than they needed to
go for cobb then, flash it your self, and you can always read and clear codes too.
also it is a set it and forget it.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...3-ap3-bmw-001/
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Eurocharged having a Toronto location, seems to have a fairly large following on BMWTN so hoping someone here can shed some light on their experience, as Im leaning that way.
Back when I got my Eurocharged tune I was happy. But I have an N52 so obviously the improvements aren't nearly as significant.

Also, lately I seem to be hearing more mixed reviews than before.

My opinion:
EC will give you better numbers, but perhaps sacrifice long term reliability.
Dinan will maximize the power you can deliver with minimal impact on longevity.
      01-04-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update

2011 E92 335i Xdrive (AT) - N55
-AFE Dry sealed intake
-PE Mod
-XHP stage 3 transmission tune
-VRSF Catless DP
-ER Charge Pipe
-VRSF 5" FMIC
-Eurocharged Tune

The EC tune was a great choice ... made 339 awhp and 442 awtq. Car feels consistent through the power band. However, the stock turbo falls off at about 5500 rpm. As such, I purchased the ps1, inlet and gfb dv+. I also picked up a snow performance stage 2.5 meth kit. Next steps are to get these installed and the car retuned with a custom flash.

Again the same options are presented with most people leaning toward MHD with a custom twisted or wedge tune. My only issue with Etunes is that it is based on logging after the fact and requires multiple pulls for each revision. This can take weeks and I'm not sure if it increases the risk of damage before the tune is properly dialed in.. the benefit of the Eurocharged tune is that it is a dyno tune, where corrections can be made immediately and the entire process will be done in about 1 day. Also indeed the benefit of having them local for support and experience tuning on the bad l fuel we have here.

Last edited by starbuck; 01-04-2020 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0