E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 Gearbox fails under pressure

01-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
chiefrocka
Rep
Drives: E91 320D LCI

E91 Gearbox fails under pressure

Hello,

Tried to find a topic around here about this but no luck.
This has happened already three times to me.
When staying standstill and flooring it on "DS" mode, it goes fine first two gears (traction control on), traction control lights flash a bit, but on the third gear the gearbox just kind of goes into neutral, revs go to redline and then it takes 2-4 seconds for gearbox to pick back up and it starts shifting up. While in "neutral", the car is completely powerless.
It doesnt happen everytime, and all the times it has happened the car has been warmed up and at the operating temperature.
No error codes.
2010 E91 320D, 226k km (about 140k miles)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

You have a problem with hydraulics in the transmission. Can be because trans oil level is too low, a failed gasket inside the transmission that prevents oil pressure from building up ($50+pan/filter and oil change), a failed solenoid ($100 + afore cost), or a worn clutch pack (that's bad). There should be codes stored in the onboard computer, even if you don't have a service light on the dashboard, given the severity of the symptoms you describe.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
chiefrocka
Rep
Drives: E91 320D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
You have a problem with hydraulics in the transmission. Can be because trans oil level is too low, a failed gasket inside the transmission that prevents oil pressure from building up ($50+pan/filter and oil change), a failed solenoid ($100 + afore cost), or a worn clutch pack (that's bad). There should be codes stored in the onboard computer, even if you don't have a service light on the dashboard, given the severity of the symptoms you describe.
Hey! Thanks for your answer. I'll try to pull some codes tonight. It happens rarely, otherwise once the car warms up transmission works like a charm. It is a bit "jerky" when car is cold tho :/
I belive every gear has its own solenoid? The third gear works well otherwise, maybe the solenoid can act differently under pressure?
Thanks in advance
Edit: if thats the "onboard computer" you're thinking of, its good, no faults. Sometimes when cold I do get a "increased battery discharge", and Im sure i need to switch out the battery soon, but I dont think that battery plays any role in transmission, or does it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I am refering to reading BMW specific codes using INPA or ISTA (the service program that the dealer uses to read the onboard diagnostic computer). This can reveal more codes and diagnostics than what is reported to the end-user.

Good luck debugging!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

what your're experiencing is commonly called a shift flare.

basically it's slipping the clutch in the transmission because it can't apply enough hydraulic pressure to the servo.
that's either a fluid supply/pressure issue.
a solenoid leakage issue
or a servo leakage issue.

most likely.
it's possible the clutch is wasted, but very low probability.

we never got your drivetrain in the US, so I am completely unfamiliar with what auto trans you have, but that's the basics of shift flares in pretty much any auto.
Appreciate 0