E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 328i Help! 2fa4 DME: Incorrect data record, and other codes

01-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #1
frknvgn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i Sport Package 5MT

2008 328i Help! 2fa4 DME: Incorrect data record, and other codes

Okay so this car was on the impound lot of a towing company that I purchased. It was sitting with water in it for some time. The car has been dry for about a year now and has nothing weird going besides the below:

Step 1: had mobile locksmith make key. Vehicle actually started, although not very well, and had drivability issues; low power, hesitation, etc.

Step 2: Took car to an indy shop. They recommended I have the 'build integrity' checked and have a genuine BMW key made.

Step 3: Took car to bmw dealership for two recalls, key, and diagnosis. Key was made, and CCC computer recommended replacing, as well valve cover was cracked, CCV not working either, so needed replacing.

Step 4: Replaced valve cover, Valvetronic Motor, Valvetronic Sensor, and all associated gaskets. Relearned valvetronic min/max limits via my Launch scan tool. No improvement in drivability. Everything is plugged in; I even went back and double checked all this.

This brings us current. The car might start on the 1st try, or the 10th try. Power is low, gas mileage is poor, but the vehicle can be driven.

Below are the current codes:

2AA0 - DME: Camshaft Sensor, Inlet, Signal
2AA8 - DME: Variable Intake System, Servomotor: Activation
2AA9 - DME: Variable Intake System: Servomotor 2: Activation
30C3 - DME: Engine-Oil-Pressure Sensor, Signal
2FA4 - DME: Incorrect Data Record

I drove the car with live stream on the eccentric shaft and found that the following values didn't change no matter what I did or how I drove.

Eccentric Shaft, Actual Angle: 219
Eccentric Shaft, Specificed Angle: 251

Other codes, from other vehicle systems:
A6CF - JBE: AUC sensor
CF17 - No Message from JBBF: VEhicle Mode, Receiver DKG/EGS, Transmitter DSC/DME-DDE
581E - EGS: Signal Fault, Engine Speec From Engine Control

Clearly there's a communication issue with the DME, right? Now, I want to believe the dealer, but the codes seem to focus around the DME, not the CCC (and doesn't the CCC handle the entertainment system?)

So what say y'all? How would you proceed? I have a very good indy shop I can bring it to (Digital Chassis, Durham, NC) that I'd trust to get it going, but being that I can turn a wrench, I always do my best to avoid taking it somewhere.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
Elianne205
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91

Did you fix it? I have the same issue, car crank but no start.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #3
William Korkshire
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Faced the same issue a couple of months ago, or better say at the beginning of 2021, I was in a trip with a couple of friends of mine, some sort of camping and fishing at the same time, we were spending my 45th birthday so I decided to go on a trip. First time the door won't close when we were only at the beginning of the trip, I thought it's going to solve somehow on its own, but the problem was going the wrong direction and the door won't close at all by the 3rd day of the trip. I googled everything I could and I did not find any proper solution so I decided to contact another friend of mine, living in UK, he's a 24/7 locksmith london by profession so I thought he might have some tips on how to solve this issue, it took us a couple of hours on facetime ( it was an interesting experience I would say) but finally the problem was solved, I did not understand what was the issue itself, but I had took of the door, and fixed a little bit the lock. I don't even remember what was the problem exactly but it had to be something with the locking mechanism.

Last edited by William Korkshire; 09-29-2022 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0