E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > #@$*%! Dealer trashed two of my wheels today during a service!

08-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

#@$*%! Dealer trashed two of my wheels today during a service!

Words escape me at the moment, but had to say something.

Took the Coupe in for its first service today, picked it up a few hours ago, got home took a general look over the car and found ahaaaaaaa!

The right front wheel had a scratch and chip in the edge of the rim and the tyre had a chunk cut out of the side wall exactly where the chip on the wheel edge is.

Then I found that the left rear rim on the outer edge was scratched and ground to hell.

What the F**k did these w***kers do with my car??!!

The dealer has said that they will repair the rims first thing on Monday, but are reserving judgement on the front tyre damage.

What a way to start the weekend…

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
its quite common....i make sure i get them to have a look at mine before it goes in and there 100% sure as i will and ive told them so blatantly ...f**k them over if that car incures one mark on it.

I have and im sure others will tell u ...have had horrors too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

That is appaling. Make sure you have new wheels. They were fine when you went in, so do not have them blown in. Take a photo of the wheels that are ok, and if possible make it so that you cannot tell which side/angle it is from, and tell them it was taken that morning and they were perfect, unless they agree to replacement wheels of course.Hope you get it sorted. What a pack of bastards.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Unfortunately I have had this with front nearside wheel but on a Volvo S60 T5 by a Volvo dealer. Once is enough imo. They went half on repairs as they wouldn't agree it was conclusively their technicians fault. Bollo.ks it was.

The way you describe the damage, particularly to the tyre sidewall, sounds like it could have been done driving onto/off the ramps? Just bloody thoughtless, careless and totally unacceptable.

Makes you wonder about taking pics. of your car showing time and date when it has to go to the dealers for any work!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Wow LRS that's terrible.

You would like to think that after a service a BMW dealer would return your car to you in a better condition than when it was left with them - not worse. I'm afraid it just goes to show that some dealers are not worthy of having a BMW badge above the door and don't get the fact that the car is your property and they have a duty of care and should return it to you undamaged.

IMO: They ought to replace both wheels rather than simply repair them!

Also, their comment about "reserving judgement on the front tyre damage" is just an insult and to be honest this sort of p*ss poor service from a prestige dealership just makes my blood boil I really feel for you and hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.

Best of luck for a speedy resolution.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Mine has been into the dealers twice and will be going in again on tuesday.

I always check it over before i drive it away.

You are fortunate. Most dealers would be dicks and would probably deny it.

Hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction buddy.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

dam , that sucks , sorry to hear about that

mine is due for its 1st service soon, i think i will clean the wheels and take pictures with date and time stamps on prior to handing it over to them.

( i cant believe i have done 17k in 8 monthes and i dont even comute to work )

make sure they repair yours to a perfect standard, dont settle for any less !!

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks everyone for your much needed sympathy.

I’ve just finished a nice big caipirinha so I’m feeling a little less wound up.

I will certainly be going for the throat on Monday, like neilmc says, why the hell should I have a less than perfect car and settle for what’s easy for them in repairing the wheels. Alloys that are filled and repainted are never as good as the original wheel surface from the factory.

Many moons ago I used to me a mechanic working for Cadillac in California and always ensured that a customers car was treated with the up most care and consideration. Unfortunately, it’s the same old “I don’t give a s**t” scourge of today’s society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Unfortunately I have had this with front nearside wheel but on a Volvo S60 T5 by a Volvo dealer.
Hey Helen I had a S60 T5 as well a few years ago!

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Hi (I embarrassingly cannot remember your name, which is annoying me!)

Mine was a 55 plate, what was yours and what did you think of the car?

Cheers Simon

Last edited by beemerbird; 08-29-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
I will certainly be going for the throat on Monday, like neilmc says, why the hell should I have a less than perfect car and settle for what’s easy for them in repairing the wheels. Alloys that are filled and repainted are never as good as the original wheel surface from the factory.

My local dealer also scuffed my OS front rim (225M) when it went in for one of it's many things to be fixed. At first the service manager was a little hesitant on the phone about them being to blame. I then started to raise my voice a little (well OK a lot!!) and said I had better things to do than to ring the dealer yet again to compain about their p!ss poor service. He sensed I was a little p!ssed off and arranged for the car to be collected again the following day.

They repaired the rim and sprayed over the offending area. I could not tell at the time but as the months have passed, the paint is a slightly different colour. Nothing serious but if you are a picky sod like me, you notice these things!

Go for new rims - I defo would if it happened again!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

New rims in my opinion especially if none were marked in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
XKaLiBaR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Thats terrible news mate

My car will never ever go into bmw again. I have had too sh*t from them. Service, oil change, repainting of the back bumber etc. everything they do, they screw up. Its all the new management at the dealers. They messed up the way the garages used to be run.
Mods ListAP Racing BBKs, Bilstein PSS10 , Rogue Engineering Pulleys, RTM and Transmission Mounts, Eibach ARBs, Supersprint LightWeight Race Muffler, Miltek 100 Cell Cats, Recaro Pole Positions, Aluminium Brushed Trim, Csl Steering wheel, Imola Red Arm Rest, CSL Diffuser, 10mm Eibach Spacers, Depo Indicators, Custom blacked out front grills, Carbon Fibre Side Grills, Custom UUC ClutchStop, CSL OEM Bootlid, V-CSL Bumper,
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 03:44 AM   #13
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

The more and more that I think about this, the more I feel that they should replace the two alloy wheels that they have trashed. If it was just one wheel and it was a very minor scratch then maybe a SMART Repair would suffice and be acceptable.

BUT, the fact that they managed to damage two allow wheels, one with major curb grinding damage and the other which resulted with a physical chunk of the tyre being cut out, is inexcusable!

They have agreed to SMART Repair both wheels (tyre is yet to be decided); however, I have a sneaky suspicion that they are going to really dig their heels in regards replacing the wheels.

What legal recourse, if any, do I have against this all powerful corporate entity?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

If they decline to replace the wheels then ask for the Dealer Principle's name, their insurance company details and if they are part of a group eg. Sytner, Dick Lovett, Cooper then get their Heads name. Then pass a letter of complaint to all including BMW UK's customer service. Make sure you put the CC. list on the bottom of the letter so all know who has a copy of the complaint. That will rattle enough cages.

If one of their grease monkeys was test driving a car and bumped into you and damaged your car on the road and the dealer refused to rectify the problem to your satisfaction you have legal rights. The same as if you leave them in charge of your vehicle. It's their negligence.

When my car goes in for the next service I'll be making sure they walk round the car with me and sign off no damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
mate be glad they admitted and are sorting it. Some sly c***s would try pretend it never happened.
      08-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Really sorry to hear about that

BMW once put a dent in my E46 Coupe, I was lucky though they sorted it and gave me a car to run about in for the day! When you speak to them don't be overly agressive but make sure they know the matter will be took a lot further if they don't sort it out.

Good luck!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep

*** UPDATE ***

Well, the saga of the two damaged wheels has concluded quickly and satisfactorily.

In conclusion, the Dealer has replaced the complete set of all four alloys and tyres on my car with 3 alloy/tyres from a sales car that had done 500 miles and a 4th brand new alloy with the tyre from the 500 mile sales car.

All the alloys and tyres are spotless, “as new”.

I must take my hat off to the promptness and thoughtfulness of the Warranty Supervisor and his Manager in getting this issue resolved quickly and amicably.

It is very reassuring to conclude that not all Dealers are Stealers.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Nice one, sounds like a decent dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great news! You have found a good dealer!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #20
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Excellent result Simon - nice one.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #21
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Just a shame someone is going to buy a 500m mile motor with SMART repaired rims on it lol!

Anyway, good result ....pleased you got 'as new' rims and not repaired ones
Appreciate 0