E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330i owners, what mpg are you getting ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
deropke
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 330i N52
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

330i owners, what mpg are you getting ?

I'm getting suspiciously low mpg, and really curious what you guys are getting.

Here is mine

Model: E92
Transmission: Auto
City:20%
A/B Roads: 40%
Highway: 40%
Fuel: Super Unleaded 99RON
MPG:19.0

Last edited by deropke; 11-18-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Mike Whitney
New Member
7
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2008 M5, 2002 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

iTrader: (1)

E90 330i
Manual
City: 40%
A/B: 50%, all short ~10 min drives
Highway: 10%
US 93 octane
MPG: 22 per the OBC

I'm impressed considering how much start/stopping the car usually gets. My E60 M5 gets 13.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
deropke
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 330i N52
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post
E90 330i
Manual
City: 40%
A/B: 50%, all short ~10 min drives
Highway: 10%
US 93 octane
MPG: 22 per the OBC

I'm impressed considering how much start/stopping the car usually gets. My E60 M5 gets 13.
What the fuck, if converted from us to uk mpg, you get 7 more mpg than me whilst having more city driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:42 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Major
125
Rep
1,455
Posts

Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

check coolant temps,,stat may be gosed
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
deropke
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 330i N52
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
check coolant temps,,stat may be gosed
I'm getting 90c to 105c depending on driving.

I do have 2e84 electric coolant pump:missing code tho.

Last edited by deropke; 11-19-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
DriverLDN
Second Lieutenant
DriverLDN's Avatar
30
Rep
261
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S/E London

iTrader: (0)

Check my signature.

That's based on 233 fuel ups, 68k miles over 6 years on my 2006 E90 330i M Sport (N52 Engine)

Long motorways runs I can hit low 30's mpg on a tank.

Combined mixed driving around 25 mpg.

Solid urban driving I can hit as low as 18 - 20 mpg, bear in mind I live in S/E London, its very congested.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Sxanth
Private
Sxanth's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Colchester

iTrader: (0)

E90 N52
82k
100% a/b roads
Mixed driving
24.5 mpg apparently
__________________
___________________________
2006 330i E90
2001 330ci E46
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Chappers 71
Brigadier General
Chappers 71's Avatar
United Kingdom
1268
Rep
3,365
Posts

Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLDN View Post
Check my signature.

That's based on 233 fuel ups, 68k miles over 6 years on my 2006 E90 330i M Sport (N52 Engine)

Long motorways runs I can hit low 30's mpg on a tank.

Combined mixed driving around 25 mpg.

Solid urban driving I can hit as low as 18 - 20 mpg, bear in mind I live in S/E London, its very congested.
Interesting to read, I get slightly better mileage from my 335i.

Town driving 16-22mpg

Long motorway runs I have had as high 39mpg but is usually around 33mpg

Combined between 23-28mpg
__________________
E92 335i SE
E36 328i sport coupe
E39 540i 6SP manual
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
DriverLDN
Second Lieutenant
DriverLDN's Avatar
30
Rep
261
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i M Sport E90 2006
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S/E London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Interesting to read, I get slightly better mileage from my 335i.

Town driving 16-22mpg

Long motorway runs I have had as high 39mpg but is usually around 33mpg

Combined between 23-28mpg
A friend of mine also had a 335i same age as yours and he was getting similar to what you have which was a bit annoying, more power and better mpg

I'm tempted to look at a 340i or 440i next as they seem to have fairly good stats for mpg.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Stoatmaster
Private
5
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: E92 330i M Sport (MT)
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

E92 330i (N53)
Manual
95k
Mixed Driving and Roads
34.4 mpg

If you are running a N53 make sure you have no nox codes stored. These will not flag up on the OBC and will need to be scanned.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Taipan
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i e93
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

2007 e93 n53 330i auto, not long had the car and it developed a misfire sshortly after getting it and needed a coil pack on no2. Since then been mainly urban driving as you can see. No idea if that good or bad, so will have a better read of the thread.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
Mr Tidy
New Member
England
2
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: E9 330i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I bought my 330i with the N52 engine in April and it was showing an average of 28.8 mpg on the OBC, but nearly 4K miles later I've got it up to 29.7 mpg.

Mainly because I've stopped working, so I don't use it in rush hours and most of my mileage is 30+ mile trips on roads with the N/S/L.

I'm determined to get it above 30 mpg, but then my right foot gets heavy!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
rusty0273
New Member
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: E90 330i Manual LCI
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bucks

iTrader: (0)

E90 330i M Sport on 17" winter tyres. N53 Engine.
I just returned from a trip from UK to Maastricht (around 670 miles). Taking it very easy and consistent on motorway, I got actual 43.6 mpg (44.5 indicated).
I had the NOXEM sensor done a couple of months ago due to a NOX cat error code, plus an injector replaced and consumption has definitely improved.
Normal driving in mixed conditions I still usually get mid 30's.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #14
rusty0273
New Member
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: E90 330i Manual LCI
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bucks

iTrader: (0)

. and its a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:30 AM   #15
nomiS330d
Second Lieutenant
31
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: E92 330d MANual & Quaiffed
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Doncaster

iTrader: (0)

if MPG is a major concern just swap it for a 330/335d. Way better MPG and performance. 😄
40 urban and 50mpg on a run from my mapped manual 330d.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
deropke
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 330i N52
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
if MPG is a major concern just swap it for a 330/335d. Way better MPG and performance. ��
40 urban and 50mpg on a run from my mapped manual 330d.
Yeah im thinking about it, but I think it's not worth it. diesels take a lot longer to warm up, and i think i would be fine with 330i, if only my journeys were longer and I could contain myself from driving hard. I did a test, driving this one road with different engine temps and here are the results:

The journey is about 4 miles, 0am with 0 traffic and I granny it as much as possible.

cold start: 25mpg
warm start (car was driven ~2-3hours before): 30mpg
peak temp (just after driving hard): 34mpg

I done these tests two times each, and every time got same result with max 1mpg difference, so its pretty accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
OliSharp
New Member
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SW London

iTrader: (0)

I get a fairly consistent 240 miles from a tank, so that's around 20mpg, mostly in London traffic. Out of town I can get 400 miles per tank, with 40mpg on motorway runs at either 50mph or 80, seems to work out the same!

DriverLDN - the B58 engine in the 340/440i is a big leap forward, though you might see those petrol gains go up in smoke if you have any sort of heavy right foot! The start-stop is nice though, especially in London, wish my N53 had that!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
235
Rep
5,745
Posts

Drives: 2015 F11 + E91 330i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

Don't be fooled into swapping for a derv if you do lots of sub 10 mile journeys, the petrol actually does a bit better on those type of runs, well certainly in winter with colder temps and winter diesel.

I have had so many of the same car with the petrol and diesel engine in, and every time the petrol has done slightly better on the 6 mile school run. Not by much, but no cost savings.

Remember these are set up for 98 ron as well, so all official figures are based on your running 98/99. Put 95 in and it will be fine, but you will lose power and MPG as well.

My 335i was really noticeable on 95 ron, lost all its pep and MPG went from 27 average to around 24 average every single time.
Annoyingly a 1/4 tank of 95 will retard the timing but it can take 2-3 tanks for it to get back where it should be.

I actually rolling roaded mine on 98 and again on 95 and it was a drop of nearly 30hp.

Evolve did the same test and posted figures on here back in the day too and they found the same.

Also, are you sure that 90-105c is not oil temp?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
deropke
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 330i N52
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Don't be fooled into swapping for a derv if you do lots of sub 10 mile journeys, the petrol actually does a bit better on those type of runs, well certainly in winter with colder temps and winter diesel.

I have had so many of the same car with the petrol and diesel engine in, and every time the petrol has done slightly better on the 6 mile school run. Not by much, but no cost savings.

Remember these are set up for 98 ron as well, so all official figures are based on your running 98/99. Put 95 in and it will be fine, but you will lose power and MPG as well.

My 335i was really noticeable on 95 ron, lost all its pep and MPG went from 27 average to around 24 average every single time.
Annoyingly a 1/4 tank of 95 will retard the timing but it can take 2-3 tanks for it to get back where it should be.

I actually rolling roaded mine on 98 and again on 95 and it was a drop of nearly 30hp.

Evolve did the same test and posted figures on here back in the day too and they found the same.

Also, are you sure that 90-105c is not oil temp?

Yeah it was oil temp, my bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:08 AM   #20
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
235
Rep
5,745
Posts

Drives: 2015 F11 + E91 330i Sport
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

OK.

So I picked up another 330i Touring over Xmas.

I was getting roughly 23mpg from it. No matter how many times I reset the OBC, it fell back to 23mpg in the end.

I am going to put a post up in the UK technical section explaining what I did to get it up to 29mpg.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST