E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)

11-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #243
Basis swap
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 335i

E93 Waterpump and thermostat replacement

Thank God for that BavAuto video! Gave me the courage to try this DIY (by far the most involved I had ever done prior to this)

My experience

1. E93= having to also undo the cross-bars that reinforce the frame. Luckily, you only have to undo them in the front and at the midway points. This gives you enough leverage to push the sway bar down once you undo its 4 bolts. Push the sway bar right onto the cross beams. They flex nicely.

2. I spent way too much time under the car disassembling all of the parts,carefully. Better safe than sorry.

3. I am lowered on H&R and Konis. Even with the Rhino ramps, the car is quite low to the ground. Don't expect to be doing this on your side

4. That plastic 90 degree elbow hose which connects to the pump is a real bbbbbbbbbbtch to undo and put back on. To get it off, hold it and yank it back and forth until it comes off the water pump flange. Took me a while to do this, given that the car is an '08

5. Putting back this same elbow-shaped hose was a torture. First time around I forced it, but it did not come on fully. After bolting everything up and testing the car on local roads, this piece disconnected and all of the new coolant came right out. SO...don't try to force this hose back onto the pump. If you have pliers with long handles, flip your pliers upside down and use the long handles to clamp this hose at its flange. Once clamped, just apply a bit of pressure to snap the hose right onto the pump. You'll hear a click. After trying to force the damn hose for an hour, doing this took 5 seconds and was so easy, I literally jumped for joy. Finesse is everything!

6. Some of the clamps on the thermostat and pump may face away from you and at such an angle that it's close to impossible to get a ratchet on them. Still, it's possible, so don't give up.

11-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #244
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basis swap View Post
Thank God for that BavAuto video! Gave me the courage to try this DIY (by far the most involved I had ever done prior to this)

My experience
^ Good post right there

To your points:

1. ... Yeah, I wasted about 10 minutes thinking I could get by without moving the sway bar, and all the sh!t you have to do so that you can move that. Future advice to DIYers, you have to move the sway bar. Period. (Exception: you have elf hands.)

2. ... good advice.

3. ... I don't know how you all do it on ramps, I jacked up the car so I could take off the right front wheel and fender liner. Much better access to back of pump and thermostat.

4 & 5. ... Somehow it came right off for me, but yep, a biiiotch to put back on.... correctly. I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laughing at your story of the new coolant coming out, only because I could imagine the pain...

6. ... I spent time to set them up right for the next H20 pump replacement.

I got the wrong bolts, I cut them down to 26mm. See pic. Also, maybe obvious to everyone, but I'll post anyways. When you get the new pump and thermostat, you can temporarily bolt them together and then set up the hose between them so it's angled "just right" for the thermostat. I had no problems putting the pump in (holy f it's tight) even with the hose already attached. You will have to set up the tensioner screw so that you can access again, but you don't have tighten once it's in. Again, see pic (top of hose goes to thermostat, I took pic after I disconnected the thermostat from it.)
Attached Images

Last edited by IN54NITY; 11-19-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:56 AM   #245
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Water pump failed!

Beginning of this week I hit 63k miles on my 08 335i.
I told myself I should replace the waterpump since people start having failures at about 60k.

Today, after dropping my daughter off at preschool, my car over heated. I figured it was probably the water pump and had AAA tow my car home.

I'm going to order a GATES 41504E tonight. It's just a Continental OE pump.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #246
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

The 90 degree plastic "quick disconnect" hose on the back of the water pump is impossible to remove..... I've taken the circlip completely off Aswell.... Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #247
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
The 90 degree plastic "quick disconnect" hose on the back of the water pump is impossible to remove..... I've taken the circlip completely off Aswell.... Any tips?
Patience, and keep working it. Wiggle, twist, pull and repeat. Eventually it will break free.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #248
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Patience, and keep working it. Wiggle, twist, pull and repeat. Eventually it will break free.
man, seems like ive been doing it for hours....
at first i thought maybe the circlip was not fully unseated which makes sense, so i just removed it completly. But it still barely budges....

As you know its tight in there, so getting a good grip on it is difficult.

I shall keep trying.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #249
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep

Got it. Ended up using a pry bar.
Fuck it was on tight
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #250
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #251
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

Water Pump

My pump just went bye bye : (

Luckily I have Route 66 coverage so I am not too bummed about it. With that said I am wondering if there would be any additional labor or savings to install inlets/outlets.

Kind of a..."hey while your under there"

It's in the hands of a BMW Master Mechanic if that makes a difference.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #252
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Electrical connector to the thermostat

What's the secret to removing the electrical connector to the thermostat? Everything else seems easy so far except that connector. I don't want to break it. I slide a small screw driver up the connector until it caught and then I pryed the top away from the connector and tried to pull the connector straight out. No go. Will try again.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #253
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
What's the secret to removing the electrical connector to the thermostat? Everything else seems easy so far except that connector. I don't want to break it. I slide a small screw driver up the connector until it caught and then I pryed the top away from the connector and tried to pull the connector straight out. No go. Will try again.
Oh nice! I figured it out after using a flashlight to ID the clip and looking at the new thermostat. I was pulling on the thermostat housing thinking it was the connector. The electrical connector goes INSIDE the connector housing of the thermostat! That took the longest to figure out for me!
Gary
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #254
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRichy View Post

Luckily I have Route 66 coverage so I am not too bummed about it. With that said I am wondering if there would be any additional labor or savings to install inlets/outlets.

You might as well change the thermostat at the same time. They don't cost very much.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #255
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Oh nice! I figured it out after using a flashlight to ID the clip and looking at the new thermostat. I was pulling on the thermostat housing thinking it was the connector. The electrical connector goes INSIDE the connector housing of the thermostat! That took the longest to figure out for me!
Gary

Glad you got it solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #256
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Quote:

You might as well change the thermostat at the same time. They don't cost very much.
Yup...it's on the list. Thanks. How about inlets or outlets?
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #257
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup...it's on the list. Thanks. How about inlets or outlets?
The inlet/outlet tubes were in pretty good shape so I didn't bother.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #258
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
Got it. Ended up using a pry bar.
Fuck it was on tight
Yeah I had to pry it off. It was easy with the pry bar. My pry bar was tire iron for my tire changer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-g...ron-61603.html

Gary
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #259
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

About to give this a go next week when parts arrive.
Got the overheat message this week...
For anyone who's done this and downpipes, is it as hard as a downpipe install?
Hoping if I manages the DPs I can get this one done.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #260
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
About to give this a go next week when parts arrive.
Got the overheat message this week...
For anyone who's done this and downpipes, is it as hard as a downpipe install?
Hoping if I manages the DPs I can get this one done.
I'll answer myself.
After doing both I can see water pump definitely easier IMO.
Reinstall was much quick than removal
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #261
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Guys is 11 51 7 632 426 still the latest revision of the water pump?

Are these also prone to premature failures?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #262
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Guys is 11 51 7 632 426 still the latest revision of the water pump?

Are these also prone to premature failures?
Yes, I think that is the latest. It's made by Continental. It does _not_ have the rubber grommet/insulator the original had, and thus it requires shorter bolts. I got the wrong size in my kit (31 mm) and had to cut them down to 26mm (with a dremmel tool) otherwise the bolt gets "stopped" by the block before your pump is adequately torqued/sealed.

My replacement seems to be fine, though it has only had 12k of use. FYI, my old water pump bearing was still silky smooth, it was either the electric motor itself or electronics that were kaput.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-01-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #263
quinones28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I'm picking up an 08 335i next week and this will be my first "mod"
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #264
FPsN54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

So I just finished this job today. Took my time and followed a combination of the BavAuto videos and the DIY write up.

This isn't a hard job, you just have to be patient. The hardest part was removing the awful fittings with the spring clip. You cant twist them because they are keyed, you have to rock them back and forth just enough to the point where you can get a flat head screw driver into the hose to crack them (You'll know what I mean when you get to that point). My dad really wanted to help as he knows nothing about mechanic work and was willing to do most of the steps as long as he was given clear directions.

I also drank a mouthful of coolant and got it into my ear.
Appreciate 0