E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > WaveTrac or MFactory LSD?

11-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

WaveTrac or MFactory LSD?

They're both within a hundred bucks of each other. They both have their pros and cons. Which one would you go with and why? If you look at my signature you'll see my build. I have the stupid welded rear diff so choices are limited to these two. Thanks for any feedback especially first hand.
'08 e93 AW 335i 6MT,Vargas Stg 2+ 20T clipped,VRSF catless dps & 7"FMIC,ER chargepipe&Tial, MMP inlets&outlets,Motiv Stg 2 fuel rail&dual disc clutch/fly, JB4G5,MHD w/Motiv tune,Fuel-it Stg 3 LPFP,Wavetrac LSD w/lockdown, KwV2,M3(Strut brace,frt control arms,steering wheel)AKE blk sub bush,re11 245/305,19x8.5et30&19x11et43,SmartTop,RE trans mounts,Msport rear bump & skirts,15%tint,ZSP knob,Stoptech rotors,241k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

You also have the option of a Quaife diff....I got mine last year about this time from VAC motorsports who had a black friday deal on them.....you can check prices but I thought it was comparable to Wavetrac. I think Mfactory diff is basically the same mechanical setup as Quaife but may be a cheaper alternative......my quaife works as advertised though and no weird noises except for a very slight whine at certain speeds but it's barely noticeable....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SoonJR View Post
Wavetrac

It's proven
So is the MFactory...

the OP is asking for which you would go with and why. You chose the Wavetrac, so the let the OP know why, not just because "It's proven"

anyway, to the OP, here is my reason why I choose the MFactory (and it's not just because I am MFactory lol):

2nd Generation Design
The MFactory v2 Helical LSD is lighter, stronger and more efficient than any other Helical LSD on the market today!

Covered by the MFactory Feel The Torque™ 30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
An Industry First! If you do not feel the difference after installing your new Limited Slip Differential, you may return the product to us for a full refund (excluding shipping costs) within 30 days of the purchase date

Covered by the MFactory Lifetime, Globally Transferable Warranty
Whether used on the Street, Strip or Track, all MFactory Helical LSD's come with a Lifetime, No-Hassle, Globally Transferable Warranty

No-Load/One-Wheel Syndrome
A common misconception is that a Torsen-Style Differential is useless under a no-load situation (e.g One wheel in the air). This myth has been further perpetuated by our competitors of whom have limited understanding of how a Torsen-Style LSD functions. This no-load situation does not apply to 90% of users. For the other 10%, there is a simple solution to the problem that our competitors will not tell you; simply tap your brake pedal.

Manufacturing Process
- SAE9310 Bar Stock imported from Japan to ensure the purest steel grades
- All MFactory components are Forged. We do not use inferior Cast or Billet processes. Forged components are upto 30% stronger & tougher than the equivalent "Billet" component. Click here for further details
- Advanced material processing, heat treatment & finishing techniques offer superior strength, durability and quality
- Primary Heat Treatment: After the forged parts come off the press, they are Normalized and Annealed to relieve residual stresses and make them machine workable
- Machining: After the forged blanks are completed, we use Industry-leading Multi-Axis CNC and CAM equipment to machine the parts
- Secondary Heat Treatment: State-of-the-art Case Hardening procedure achieved via computer-controlled Gas Carburization and Quenching
- Double-Tempering: A superior heat treatment technique used to decrease the brittleness and increase the toughness of our parts
- Surface Grinding: Through the use of our state-of-the-art diamond grinding machines, we ensure all parts are smooth, precise and free of burrs
- Super Sub-Zero Processing: An advanced treatment technique whereby the parts are cryogenically hardened at -300°F, realigning the steels crystalline structure for maximum strength, then heat tempered again for a 3rd time to ensure maximum toughness (resistance to fracture)
- Micro-Peening: Our final treatment stage, the parts are subject to a high speed shot blast with our proprietary micro media, creating a super smooth surface

Brand Comparison

And, of course, our product is lower cost, in stock and cores are fully rebuilt to "better than new" condition at our US Facility.

P.S In your signature/build, you already state that you have the MFactory LSD?!?

Last edited by MFactory; 11-20-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 4
      11-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

You'll notice the date. Everything after the date is pending installation. Haven't purchased diff, suspension, or fuel system yet. Thanks for the replies so far. And no quaife won't work. That's why I said I had the welded type rear diff. They don't make one for my car. If they had I would've done it years ago when I was first contemplating upgrades. Back then nobody was offering one for welded diffs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
aa87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Sedan

Lol, signature mod lists were so 1998, especially putting signature mod wish lists and layways.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
pharoh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Been looking at the same and I'm leaning towards Mfactory based on seemingly similar build quality vs price.

Fundguy - not sure why you say quaife isn't an option, I also have a welded diff gear and I have seen quaife differential core exchanges as an option from both Mfactory and VAC.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I've never seen a quaife that fit the welded diff. Looked on their site too. The sign mods are there because I doing the build and use it for quick reference on advice. All but suspension and fuel are already delivered awaiting install or installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
pharoh
Private
United_States
Rep

The quaife is an option, just putting it out there for you:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...als-p2324.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Hmmmm. First time I saw that. I looked at quaife sire and at other distributors of them and never saw them before. Crazy that quaife need added them to their site.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I went M factory myself.

The price is unbeatable and they shipped it super fast which was a big plus. Car is Million times more enjoyable to take turns with no wiggles no shakes. Car feels so stable compared to the open diff we get stuck with. There is barely any whine(also have Lockdown kit and solid diff bushings) no clunks when putting it into Drive, reverse(auto). Hope this helps you OP let us know what you go with and make sure to post a review!
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
pharoh
Private
United_States
Rep

Zombie, which lockdown kit and bushings do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
KRyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory View Post
So is the MFactory...

the OP is asking for which you would go with and why. You chose the Wavetrac, so the let the OP know why, not just because "It's proven"

anyway, to the OP, here is my reason why I choose the MFactory (and it's not just because I am MFactory lol):
When will you guys start selling Ring Gears?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

Significantly more expensive but have you looked at a clutch type diff?
Sold complete ready to install, no welded ring gear/core business to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharoh View Post
Zombie, which lockdown kit and bushings do you have?
He's using the Defiv Lockdown Kit (includes solid bushes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
When will you guys start selling Ring Gears?
Our test samples will finally be ready end of this month, and will be testing them asap
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
I have the wavetrack,there is no noises or clunks or anything highly recommend
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I had a vac built quaife. I now have a vac built OS Giken. If I could do it over, I would have bought the best the first time around. I also added a black anodized vac built cover which looks amazing. It keeps the lsd cooler and has both a drain and fill/hole, which makes it easier to change the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
I had a vac built quaife. I now have a vac built OS Giken. If I could do it over, I would have bought the best the first time around. I also added a black anodized vac built cover which looks amazing. It keeps the lsd cooler and has both a drain and fill/hole, which makes it easier to change the fluid.
I actually have the same thing, but wanted to know what kind of difference you felt switching over from the helical type lsd.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
So is the MFactory...

2nd Generation Design
The MFactory v2 Helical LSD is lighter, stronger and more efficient than any other Helical LSD on the market today!

Covered by the MFactory Feel The Torque™ 30-Day Money Back Guarantee!
An Industry First! If you do not feel the difference after installing your new Limited Slip Differential, you may return the product to us for a full refund (excluding shipping costs) within 30 days of the purchase date

Covered by the MFactory Lifetime, Globally Transferable Warranty
Whether used on the Street, Strip or Track, all MFactory Helical LSD's come with a Lifetime, No-Hassle, Globally Transferable Warranty

No-Load/One-Wheel Syndrome
A common misconception is that a Torsen-Style Differential is useless under a no-load situation (e.g One wheel in the air). This myth has been further perpetuated by our competitors of whom have limited understanding of how a Torsen-Style LSD functions. This no-load situation does not apply to 90% of users. For the other 10%, there is a simple solution to the problem that our competitors will not tell you; simply tap your brake pedal.

Manufacturing Process
- SAE9310 Bar Stock imported from Japan to ensure the purest steel grades
- All MFactory components are Forged. We do not use inferior Cast or Billet processes. Forged components are upto 30% stronger & tougher than the equivalent "Billet" component. Click here for further details
- Advanced material processing, heat treatment & finishing techniques offer superior strength, durability and quality
- Primary Heat Treatment: After the forged parts come off the press, they are Normalized and Annealed to relieve residual stresses and make them machine workable
- Machining: After the forged blanks are completed, we use Industry-leading Multi-Axis CNC and CAM equipment to machine the parts
- Secondary Heat Treatment: State-of-the-art Case Hardening procedure achieved via computer-controlled Gas Carburization and Quenching
- Double-Tempering: A superior heat treatment technique used to decrease the brittleness and increase the toughness of our parts
- Surface Grinding: Through the use of our state-of-the-art diamond grinding machines, we ensure all parts are smooth, precise and free of burrs
- Super Sub-Zero Processing: An advanced treatment technique whereby the parts are cryogenically hardened at -300°F, realigning the steels crystalline structure for maximum strength, then heat tempered again for a 3rd time to ensure maximum toughness (resistance to fracture)
- Micro-Peening: Our final treatment stage, the parts are subject to a high speed shot blast with our proprietary micro media, creating a super smooth surface

Brand Comparison

And, of course, our product is lower cost, in stock and cores are fully rebuilt to "better than new" condition at our US Facility.

P.S In your signature/build, you already state that you have the MFactory LSD?!?
$799?

Can you link me to this price?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

The biggest difference (for me) between the quaife and the Giken was how quickly both wheels would lock. The quaife and wavetrac take a little extra time, while the Giken is instant. Both units are quiet. The Giken does require a little more maintenance. Vac recommends switching out the fluid after the first 500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
It's not a misconception or myth that a helical Torsen type LSD doesn't work if one wheel has zero grip/load (one wheel in the air), it does NOT work in this situation, fact.

Seriously, how can you quote percentage figures of who this effects?

So, you can tap your brake pedal? So, mid corner, accelerating out, you want to BRAKE?

And what happens when your foot comes off the brake pedal, you have no traction again!

Helical diffs are great for most applications, but for others they are not much better than an open diff.
Ohlins DFV with 400/800 Swifts // M3 arms and bushes // H&R anti-roll bars // Modified top mounts allowing -1.5 deg front camber // 19" MORR VS8.2 // 235/265 Pilot Super Sports // Wavetrac // Evolve remap.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #21
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
It's not a misconception or myth that a helical Torsen type LSD doesn't work if one wheel has zero grip/load (one wheel in the air), it does NOT work in this situation, fact.

Seriously, how can you quote percentage figures of who this effects?

So, you can tap your brake pedal? So, mid corner, accelerating out, you want to BRAKE?

And what happens when your foot comes off the brake pedal, you have no traction again!

Helical diffs are great for most applications, but for others they are not much better than an open diff.
I can quote percentage figures because we have been offering LSD's to the market since 2008 and have sold thousands of units. I am basing our figures off our target sales demographic, and from those whom have already purchased/used our LSD. Over 50% of our customers don't go anywhere near a racetrack, 30% of them drag race, and the other 20% are weekend warriors.

Yes, if the wheel lifts off the ground, use your left foot on the the brake slightly, which will simulate load. At the same time, apply slightly more gas to make up for the slight loss in momentum.

This is a very well known proven method of solving this no-load issue that most good race drivers who use a Torsen style know about. A good race driver using a Torsen style can be just as quick (if not faster) as a driver using a Plate type, as has been shown time and time again on the track.

Don't get me wrong though, for a dedicated race car, we always recommend our Plate type LSD instead. The Helical LSD is best for a street car, which happens to be over 90% of our customer base for our Helical LSD.

Last edited by MFactory; 11-28-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Get wavetrac, they have a small clutch built-in to preload the diff if one wheel ever lift off.
Appreciate 0