E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328 N52 engine rattle noise

05-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
franksinatra
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2011

328 N52 engine rattle noise

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Happens even with belt off and as seen in the video, the fan is not spinning so not that either.

VIDEO:

Last edited by franksinatra; 05-29-2020 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
franksinatra
Private
Rep

For anyone experiencing the same issue... This ended up being my vacuum pump. It has made this noise on and off since I got the car and put over 30,000km on it before I started noticing any problems (strange noise when braking). I didn't find much information online about these as they don't seem to be a common failure item, but somehow mine did. When I took the old one off the car and spun, it was not building very much vacuum when compared to the new one. I'm not sure where the rattle/knocking noise comes into play, but I'm happy I was finally able to resolve the problem.
Appreciate 2
Phil325i614.50
CDirks135.00
      06-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksinatra View Post
For anyone experiencing the same issue... This ended up being my vacuum pump. It has made this noise on and off since I got the car and put over 30,000km on it before I started noticing any problems (strange noise when braking). I didn't find much information online about these as they don't seem to be a common failure item, but somehow mine did. When I took the old one off the car and spun, it was not building very much vacuum when compared to the new one. I'm not sure where the rattle/knocking noise comes into play, but I'm happy I was finally able to resolve the problem.
I wonder if the failure was in the pump itself or just the gasket inside the pump. Looking on FCP for replacement parts yields the pump itself (currently on clearance for pennies) as well as a gasket seal for the pump that is less than $5. I can hear the same noise from your video coming from my own engine bay, and would jump at the chance to save $100 on a repair
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
franksinatra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
I wonder if the failure was in the pump itself or just the gasket inside the pump. Looking on FCP for replacement parts yields the pump itself (currently on clearance for pennies) as well as a gasket seal for the pump that is less than $5. I can hear the same noise from your video coming from my own engine bay, and would jump at the chance to save $100 on a repair
Upon disassembly of the pump, I can confirm that it was worn internally as well. I'm not sure if it was just the gasket. The job isn't too difficult, for 5$ its worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:38 AM   #5
the deacon
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e90 323

Exact same noise i have got , it has been driving me insane !! Thank you for this
Appreciate 0