E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car won't turn over - HELP!

01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That is the rear power distribution panel and the wire looks like it's for the Ibs....without it I don't think your IBS would function. Maybe it's your issue.....I almost wonder.....did you register this battery? Your Ibs prolly doesn't have any info now, but when connected, does it think you don't have sufficient starting current? Again, my thinking is to get to the root cause before replacing parts.....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That is the rear power distribution panel and the wire looks like it's for the Ibs....without it I don't think your IBS would function. Maybe it's your issue.....I almost wonder.....did you register this battery? Your Ibs prolly doesn't have any info now, but when connected, does it think you don't have sufficient starting current? Again, my thinking is to get to the root cause before replacing parts.....
IBS: intelligent battery sensor, btw...

Seems like possibly, the sensor was not reset when the older batteries were replaced..or, it thinks the battery has low current...possibly.....do a google for IBS and see what you can find out.....

JP
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Check out this thread as well:

Please Help If You Can by SHATX on this forum...he had very similar symptoms...ended up being his fuse box and the battery cable connection to it!...

Your car seems to fit within the build date times, though like mine may have been built a little early to have this problem...but all the cars this is affecting have not reported in yet....

I found the post VERY interesting reading...

JP
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
IBS: intelligent battery sensor, btw...

Seems like possibly, the sensor was not reset when the older batteries were replaced..or, it thinks the battery has low current...possibly.....do a google for IBS and see what you can find out.....

JP
I have this issue too. OP, can you please tell me how you have fixed this?

Did you put in a BMW battery? Or an after market one?

I put in an after market one, apparently the same type... and it was registered, but I have your problem and I don't know how to fix it.

Please advise how you fixed this. Thanks

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #27
cparke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubaro View Post
Looking for help here... I went to go start my car today and nothing happened. I put the key in the slot, foot on the brake and hit the start button and nothing happens. I can't access the onboard computer or even shift the car out of park either. It's like my key doesn't belong to my car... We tried boosting it but still couldn't get anything. I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea whats going on. How much is it going to cost to repair this? Thanks in advance for your help.
I think I have the exact same problem now.

Really, it seems like the ignition won't switch on. I don't have to even try starting the car. It switches to accessory mode and the radio plays, but if you press START a second time, it just shuts off accessory mode. In this state, it's really bad, can't switch out of park nor connect diagnostic software, as both function require ignition to be turned on, which I can't do!

The battery is actually new and only 3 weeks old! The starter is 3 years old, but like I said, I'm not even trying to start the car at this point, just would like to get an error code or something to explain this behavior. Seems like the ECU has become bricked or something. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery to reboot the system and see if that helps, plus I'll check the fuses and see if all the current is flowing where it should. Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #28
cparke
Private
Rep

UPDATE: Battery has very low voltage (like 11.1V). Nevertheless, car switches to ignition ON and even starts if I unplug the IBS from the power distribution outlet on top of the battery. I've removed the battery and am charging it out of the vehicle and plan to get it tested.

So, not the starter, and probably not the battery (although it may have undercharged or overdischarged). I also have a power converter and can energize the car electronics even without a battery installed. Powered up car with that after removing battery. However, still cannot switch ignition ON with the IBS connected. Resetting all module codes has not helped either.

So I'm wondering what else to check. Here are some ideas:
1) Terminal 15WUP test for short to ground. But where is that?
2) Terminal 15/30 relay test. But where are those?
3) IBS faulty? Clearly, the car knows if IBS is powered or not, so it must be communicating with DME. Just get another IBS and hope this was the issue? That doesn't sound very appealing to me, especially since I've read that software version of DME must match IBS. Something for dealer to do as a last resort, maybe.
4) CAS module faulty? I see no evidence of that, other than car isn't starting with IBS connected.

Suspicion: The car just had front struts and rear shocks changed by a shop. I'm pretty sure this was done without disconnecting the battery. If there is any wiring or connector under the trunk carpet or in the engine bay which could cause this kind of failure, that would be the first place that I'm looking for something not put back together properly.

Could use some help answering these questions, and any other thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited by cparke; 09-03-2021 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #29
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparke View Post
UPDATE: Battery has very low voltage (like 11.1V). Nevertheless, car switches to ignition ON and even starts if I unplug the IBS from the power distribution outlet on top of the battery. I've removed the battery and am charging it out of the vehicle and plan to get it tested.

So, not the starter, and probably not the battery (although it may have undercharged or overdischarged). I also have a power converter and can energize the car electronics even without a battery installed. Powered up car with that after removing battery. However, still cannot switch ignition ON with the IBS connected. Resetting all module codes has not helped either.

So I'm wondering what else to check. Here are some ideas:
1) Terminal 15WUP test for short to ground. But where is that?
2) Terminal 15/30 relay test. But where are those?
3) IBS faulty? Clearly, the car knows if IBS is powered or not, so it must be communicating with DME. Just get another IBS and hope this was the issue? That doesn't sound very appealing to me, especially since I've read that software version of DME must match IBS. Something for dealer to do as a last resort, maybe.
4) CAS module faulty? I see no evidence of that, other than car isn't starting with IBS connected.

Suspicion: The car just had front struts and rear shocks changed by a shop. I'm pretty sure this was done without disconnecting the battery. If there is any wiring or connector under the trunk carpet or in the engine bay which could cause this kind of failure, that would be the first place that I'm looking for something not put back together properly.

Could use some help answering these questions, and any other thoughts or suggestions.
Does your car have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #30
cparke
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Does your car have comfort access?
I don't think so. Car doesn't have a remote starter button on the key fob, if that's what you mean.

UPDATE: I have fault code A111 (ELV voltage supply fault) stored in the CAS (Car Access System). There is a somewhat famous BMW tech article SI B 61 07 06 stating that when you have this code and these issues that I'm having, replace the IBS (Intelligent Battery System).

However, it's clear this is a network communication issue actually between the DME and the IBS. So I tried something a bit creative: I gave the IBS power but disconnected its BSD (Bit Serial Data) interface line. Ignition goes on of course, same as if IBS was disconnected from power. Then I plugged in the BSD. Lo and behold! On my next ignition cycle, the ignition came on! And it is working fairly consistently so far, including powering down the entire car and then re-energizing.

This could be just a temporary fix, and it could very well be an intermittent wiring issue at the IBS's BSD connector. I'm also still concerned how the new battery fell to 11.1V and if that caused this (I don't see any parasitic currents and the car is going to sleep properly). I guess the battery and alternator should be checked once I get the car running again. Nevertheless, I'm glad the IBS itself isn't toasted and I can be driving again (safely for my battery and car electronics) in the meantime.
Appreciate 0