E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Water pump runs after engine off

11-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
sredwine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M Sport

Water pump runs after engine off

Recently my (2007 328i 6S manual) coolant pump runs in a series of periods for a minute or so after shutting off the hot engine. Temps are normal. I never heard this before. There are faint whistling/piping sounds from the cooling system. The only unusual thing that happened about the time this started was I changed my battery. The guy at Advance Auto Parts insisted on putting a battery backup in via the OBDII port. This blew the 5A fuse for that port, which killed my instruments. Replaced the fuse and all is well, but the pump running started about that time. The only other symptom I notice is that the parking lights don't come on when I unlock the car (the lights under the door handles still do), probably a setting. I haven't looked into that. Yes I did register my battery. On a related note, there is a pair of mating blue three pin connectors associated with the negative battery terminal. They are not connected-should they be? My Bentley manual does not seem to show them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
sredwine
Private
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Korz55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi MT Coupe

The blue connector in the trunk does not get connected - supposedly used for transporting. The water pump on my 2009 328 does run periodically after shutting off. I believe that is normal. Could be you just never noticed it, and now you are overly sensitive to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
sredwine
Private
Rep

Thanks

Thanks, Korz55. There's a black (if I recall) connector back there that has never been connected-it's taped to another harness. The two mating blue connectors, though, may have been pulled apart when we yanked the battery out. Could this be the IBS data connection? I don't see any other low current cables associated with the negative terminal. If that connection was open, I would assume I would have other issues though. I've seen a list of things the system will do if that (IBS) connection is bad, but does anyone know what the likely symptoms are?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
sredwine
Private
Rep

Answered my own question-plus more!

I decided to go ahead and plug the two mating blue connectors near the battery back together. This is indeed the IBS data line. Now the water pump no longer runs after engine shutoff! The parking lights now glow after unlocking the car. The latter effect I understand-if the system can't tell what the state of the battery is (because IBS is unplugged), then it might shut down some non-essential functions-like the parking lights on unlock feature. But why the hell would the water pump run after engine off with no IBS?!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

I had the same issue with the water pump running when vehicle was off. Cause was due to the damaged IBS cables which probably occurred when the previous owner changed the battery. Once the IBS cable was replaced, the water pump worked properly. I had other issues at the same time (bad battery and bad alternator) so those were replaced as well.
      11-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not a flame... Just to reiterate if anyone reads this thread...

The is a perfect example of why one should never let a non-BMW trained technician work on a BMW. Even something as typical-appearing as a battery change is not as simple as it is with other cars. The Autozone-trained parts guys was following his training that said to keep factory presets for the radio, etc. plug a battery module into the OBD port, which caused problems. Additionally, the installer was unfamiliar with the IBS function (and cable) and failed to properly re-connect the battery to specification.

I can see with the IBS not functioning properly, some battery-related controls would not operate correctly. The E90 has a REST heat function that operates the water pump without the ignition on. The ECU keeps track of coolant temp so once the coolant is below a specific temperature, it turns off the water pump, which is also tied to battery health, where the ECU will not run the REST heat function if the battery is not healthy enough to run the water pump and the HVAC blower for an extended length of time. I would think the ECU gets that data from the IBS. If the data is not present, the control of the water pump could be affected.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0