E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AC and Power Steering Hoses

11-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
rskl
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

AC and Power Steering Hoses

I came across some good deals on AC hoses and power steering hoses for the E90 and I was considering purchasing them in advance. However I noticed the hoses are actually metal (unlike our coolant hoses which are rubber) - which brings up the question - do these need to be replaced even? What is the expected service life for these components (100k miles, 200k, 500k, 1m, etc.)?

Have any of you had any problems with AC or power steering hoses - if so, what was your mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I can attest that the AC and power steering hoses are good for 12+ years and 359,000 miles.

Spend the money on crack, you'll get better use of it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
rskl
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Thanks for the info, useful.

Have you had a chance to inspect them - any sign of them going out soon? I see that some of them have a rubber or plastic covering on the middle parts (perhaps they're not 100% metal?). Any problems with the power steering/AC at that mileage?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskl View Post
Thanks for the info, useful.

Have you had a chance to inspect them - any sign of them going out soon? I see that some of them have a rubber or plastic covering on the middle parts (perhaps they're not 100% metal?). Any problems with the power steering/AC at that mileage?
My AC compressor died in 2008 at 85,000. I believe it was a result of a front end accident repair (from a deer hit) where the shop let the AC system open too long and let it get contaminated. I had the AC system repaired at a BMW dealership due to the newness of the E90 chassis back in 2009. 275,000 miles later, I'm still on the replacement AC pump and hoses. In April at 350,000 miles I found another deer, which required the factory AC condenser to be replaced. No new hoses; still using the original factory hoses.

Power steering; I've flushed the oil at 150,000 and 300,000 or so. Hoses are original.

Cooling hoses; I replaced all of them at 231,000 miles. None needed replacement at the time I did them, they were 8 years old at the time.

The E90 doesn't need to be over maintained to achieve high mileages, has been my experience (which is the same I've found for my other three BImmers I've had - two of which I still own).
Appreciate 0