E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Central Electronics Failure

03-21-2018, 03:13 AM   #1
timnkoo
Private
Rep
Drives: MY10.5 320D

E90 Central Electronics Failure (now resolved)

Hi all, I have a MY10.5 LCI 320D (Australia) exhibiting the below problems and would like to know if anyone has come across this before and successfully applied a fix?

Fault information displayed on i-drive screen:
- Electronics! Stop car carefully
- Restraint systems faulty
- Control systems faulty

Fault information displayed on instrument cluster:
- ABS warning
- Airbag warning
- Restraint warning
- Traction control warning
- Stability control warning
- Generic fault (electrical?)

I have attached some photos showing the above.

Controls affected by the fault include:
- Car cannot be started normally- must follow prompts on screen with start button held in longer.
- Car seems to have a rough idle.
- Central locking/unlocking does not work (via key fob nor button on dash).
- Cannot open the boot in anyway- only access is via dropping rear seat ski port and reaching through to manual rear seat release.
- Speedo, tachometer, odometer do not work (don't move when driving- stuck on zero).
- Windscreen wipers do not work.
- Indicators flash but no ticking sound is emitted and do not self cancel on straightening car. The programmed 3 flash 'change lanes' indicator cancel does work though.
- Air conditioning compressor doesn't seem to engage (so no air con). Fan works fine, just not cold.
- Rear windows cannot be operated at all (if they are down then there's no way to put them up aside reset via battery disconnect).
- Cruise control doesn't work
- Auto headlights don't work (when in auto mode and the fault occurs, the headlights do not turn off when you turn off and leave the car- this is what I believe caused the flat battery when I was in last).
- Not sure whether ABS/traction control/air bags work.

What does work during fault:
- The i-drive screen and radio etc operate as normal (displaying fault info though).
- The controls themselves for climate control/fans etc all appear normal and can be controlled (air con doesn't work).
- Once moving, car seems to 'drive' normally.

When and how often the fault occurs:
- This fault has occurred probably 12 times now. Aside from the first two times when I brought it into the service centre for reset, I now climb through the back seat to get access to the battery, disconnect (I've tried leaving disconnected overnight vs disconnecting for 10 secs with the same result), then reconnecting and fault is cleared and car returns to normal.
- Appears to reoccur at random intervals- sometimes every second day, other times it's gone 10 days straight without fault under similar usage of the car.
- There does not appear to be a common scenario when the car faults. Initially we thought it was linked to closing the boot lid where it would fault shortly afterwards or the same day/following day, but this isn't the case. We thought it might have been when the car was driven in the heat of the day, but it has also occurred first thing in the morning. We thought it was a power/wiring connection issue as it happened a few times when driving down our steep driveway under braking/bumps, but not the case.
- It's happened during startup/immediately after, though it's also happened mid journey.
- It's happened when stationary and simply idling.

What have I done to diagnose:
- Brand new battery installed (3 weeks ago) and coded to car by battery world - no change, still faults
- Disconnected audio amplifier and trailer wiring and any other aux electrical equipment- still faults.
- Checked all fuses in the distribution block.
- BMW service menu in instrument cluster appears to show a constant 13.6 or 13.7V charging during motion, 13.4V at idle (maybe a little low but battery seems to be holding charge).

What have BMW service has done so far:
- Reset all codes, recharged battery and test ok, recoded new battery status as I thought the previous coding done by a friend could have been an issue
- They want to replace the junction box module, but they are not sure that will fix it and I am up for the cost ~US$1000, I'm not so sure...

Any guru's that might have seen these symptoms before and can recommend diagnosing/checking a part?

Regards,
Tim

Last edited by timnkoo; 01-17-2022 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this is very close to the fuse box main cable contact problem
it is well known problem for 2007+ e9x cars
you may dig forums to see topics about that problem and how it's resolved
      03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I had this issue and it was the TPM module (flat tyre module) failing and sending errant messages over the CANBUS messing up communications for everything else.

It could be JBE (Junction Box Electronics), fuse box cable issue or a malfunctioning module.
      03-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Thanks for the heads up on the TPM module. Was this a sensor failure or the computer module itself located somewhere in the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnkoo View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the TPM module. Was this a sensor failure or the computer module itself located somewhere in the car?
The module itself.
      03-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Sounds like a faulty gateway body module, a bad tpms module will cause some gauges and wipers to go haywire. The body module ties all these things together, along with the idrive. The cas is information, the body is controls.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
Sounds like a faulty gateway body module, a bad tpms module will cause some gauges and wipers to go haywire. The body module ties all these things together, along with the idrive. The cas is information, the body is controls.
Can confirm that faulty TPMS module will cause all gauges to stop working, door locks, steering wheel controls, comfort access, keyless entry, TC & ABS light, SRS warning, etc.

Can not confirm, but believe any malfunctioning module on CAN might affect entire system this way.
      03-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Can confirm that faulty TPMS module will cause all gauges to stop working, door locks, steering wheel controls, comfort access, keyless entry, TC & ABS light, SRS warning, etc.

Can not confirm, but believe any malfunctioning module on CAN might affect entire system this way.
How was this diagnosed for you? Did they go straight to it or try multiple modules (like the body control) first?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
How was this diagnosed for you? Did they go straight to it or try multiple modules (like the body control) first?
I reset error codes on each module and the TPM would not clear. I took a chance and replaced it and my gauges and all have not acted up again. I'm not sure your car has TPM, but the same troubleshooting method might narrow it down for you.
      12-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #10
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Which module would you guys be referring to? Hoping this could be the same answer for me. Exact problems and then some...... is it the Off White Module that says “RDC” on it above the battery behind the upholstery or is it the one under the car behind the driver side tire??? Thanks for the help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
miky33
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 325d e92

Mr

I think I had the same issue with my car I was wondering if this issue have been solve if so what was it the junction box module the issues? thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
The_madd_hatter
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky33 View Post
I think I had the same issue with my car I was wondering if this issue have been solve if so what was it the junction box module the issues? thanks
I also have this exact same issue on the exact same car (Australia)
Was there ever an update to how this was fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_madd_hatter View Post
I also have this exact same issue on the exact same car (Australia) Was there ever an update to how this was fixed?
I didn't see anyone post any "Fix", other than "dsjr2006" posts reporting that a Faulty TPMS Module caused "K-CAN" or Body Bus Communications to be "Confused" or "Scrambled". If you are NOT familiar with "Bus Communications", as opposed to separate wires for each function, it is like a Network CAT 5 Cable that carries signals or communications in both directions between multiple Modules or Computers. So if Bus communications get Affected by a Bus Line Fault which may include a fault in one of the Modules on the Bus, MULTIPLE functions related to MULTIPLE Modules become affected.

The first step in diagnosing ANY Issue or Symptom where MULTIPLE warning lights or functions are affected at the same time, is to READ Fault Codes in ALL Modules. INPA or ISTA can do that. You may find that a local parts store offers free Code Reading. How MANY of the ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle can be read by their Scan Tool may be an issue, but it is a starting point. Since there are a dozen or more (depending upon Optional Equipment Installed) Modules connected to the K-CAN Bus, you need to have a Scan Tool or Software (such as INPA or ISTA) that can read Fault Codes, Code DEFINITIONS, and Freeze Frame Data/Details, in EACH Module. You DON'T want to just guess & throw parts.

It will get VERY expensive to pay someone else to diagnose an intermittent issue such as OP described, but if you have the Software on a Laptop (FREE Download) and the K+DCAN cable to connect laptop to OBD II Socket, you can probably locate the cause of the issue yourself, with help from the Forum.

So please let us know what Scan Tool/Software you have available or are considering obtaining, and what your current Fault Codes in ALL Modules are. We can suggest "Next Steps".

George
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:28 PM   #14
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
I reset error codes on each module and the TPM would not clear. I took a chance and replaced it and my gauges and all have not acted up again. I'm not sure your car has TPM, but the same troubleshooting method might narrow it down for you.
Makes sense, nice job. My car doesn't have the TPS so was able to rule that one out.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:39 PM   #15
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Decided to clean this thread up. Apologies for the delayed response- I hate it when people with problems just leave and never add in the fix. I'm back to performing a nice preventative overhaul of the car so will be back on the forums more often.

So, my cause of fault ended up being the Junction Box Module. This ended up being diagnosed and replaced by the local BMW dealership. Despite the fact I had always serviced with them, they would only discount 25% or something like that under 'good will'. Cost was over $AUD1000 all up. Pretty sure that was the last time it's seen the dealership as I wasn't happy. Car is now looked after by a good Independent. For future reference, the replaced part was 61359364819.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:46 PM   #16
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Thought I'd post the service description on the invoice here
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      01-16-2022, 10:47 PM   #17
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky33 View Post
Apologies for the much delayed response Miky, but yes it was the Junction Box Module.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:49 PM   #18
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_madd_hatter View Post
I also have this exact same issue on the exact same car (Australia)
Was there ever an update to how this was fixed?
Hey mate, yeah the fix was replacing the Junction Box Module. How did you get on with your issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:50 PM   #19
timnkoo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I didn't see anyone post any "Fix", other than "dsjr2006" posts reporting that a Faulty TPMS Module caused "K-CAN" or Body Bus Communications to be "Confused" or "Scrambled". If you are NOT familiar with "Bus Communications", as opposed to separate wires for each function, it is like a Network CAT 5 Cable that carries signals or communications in both directions between multiple Modules or Computers. So if Bus communications get Affected by a Bus Line Fault which may include a fault in one of the Modules on the Bus, MULTIPLE functions related to MULTIPLE Modules become affected.

The first step in diagnosing ANY Issue or Symptom where MULTIPLE warning lights or functions are affected at the same time, is to READ Fault Codes in ALL Modules. INPA or ISTA can do that. You may find that a local parts store offers free Code Reading. How MANY of the ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle can be read by their Scan Tool may be an issue, but it is a starting point. Since there are a dozen or more (depending upon Optional Equipment Installed) Modules connected to the K-CAN Bus, you need to have a Scan Tool or Software (such as INPA or ISTA) that can read Fault Codes, Code DEFINITIONS, and Freeze Frame Data/Details, in EACH Module. You DON'T want to just guess & throw parts.

It will get VERY expensive to pay someone else to diagnose an intermittent issue such as OP described, but if you have the Software on a Laptop (FREE Download) and the K+DCAN cable to connect laptop to OBD II Socket, you can probably locate the cause of the issue yourself, with help from the Forum.

So please let us know what Scan Tool/Software you have available or are considering obtaining, and what your current Fault Codes in ALL Modules are. We can suggest "Next Steps".

George
Hey George, I had sorted my original issue out by the time you replied, however the process you listed makes sense. I am starting to see the value in owning the software to scan/reset codes and modules whilst owning an aging E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #20
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:

Ugghh...this is....disheartening. I finished my manual N54 rwd swap into my awd wagon and am struggling with getting all those errors cleared. I assume it's all in my dsc module swap and coding but now I've got anxiety that it might just be something dumb like a tpms sensor. crap. I'm new to BMW coding.

I'm working with protools and sometimes it won't communicate with modules. Literally my steering wheel controls stopped working (assumed clock spring but maybe not now), speedo doesn't work, radio doesn't power on, transmission light (even though my car is manual now and VO says so)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 12:52 AM   #21
The_madd_hatter
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Quote:
Hey mate, yeah the fix was replacing the Junction Box Module. How did you get on with your issue?
Not well haha. So i went to an independent who charged me like $300 and "rewired" something behind the fuse box. worked for about a year and then now its doing it again (which he warned me may happen). Ive gone and bought the OBD2 Australia K-DCAN cable.

Connected the cable and learnt a little about INPA today and pulled codes galore - but i imagine alot of them are just due to it freaking out due to this one issue (Whatever it is).

The independent has suggested that i need to rewire from the battery to the fuse box, however then someone else said if that cable is the issue the car literally wont unlock / start.

Mentioned this somewhere else and they suggested it could be due to the recall, the wire that BMW used to connect that wire to the fuse box could have some sort of fault.

A few people have also suggested loose / bad earth.

Getting a little lost trying to work this out and am hoping my issue is not the $1000 box!
Appreciate 0