E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Faster Steering for xDrive

11-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #67
2011335xi6MTMsportE90
Rep
Drives: 2011 335iXdrive 6MT MSport E90

Hopeful bump on a dead thread. Anyone know if the xdrive steering rack could be custom rebuilt with different steering ratio at a rack shop since it seems a swap is unlikely to be possible or safe? I have many round abouts on my way home and it drives me crazy how much I have to turn my steering wheel. Love the steering feel on this car. Reason why I will keep it til it dies because it's all electric steering now. Hate how much I have to turn the damn wheel. I loved how quick the steering rack was on my old 350z. Wish this could even come close and itd be perfect.

Side note, I installed the power flex 2 piece urethane bushings in the tension strut and the steering feel is even better now. Also eliminates the need to use a press to install them. Removing the old ones is a different story though lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #68
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011335xi6MTMsportE90 View Post
Hopeful bump on a dead thread. Anyone know if the xdrive steering rack could be custom rebuilt with different steering ratio at a rack shop since it seems a swap is unlikely to be possible or safe? I have many round abouts on my way home and it drives me crazy how much I have to turn my steering wheel. Love the steering feel on this car. Reason why I will keep it til it dies because it's all electric steering now. Hate how much I have to turn the damn wheel. I loved how quick the steering rack was on my old 350z. Wish this could even come close and itd be perfect.
I don't know the answer, but I would contact the Rack Doctor and see what they have to say? My gut is that they'll tell you there isn't some off the shelf solution, but you never know until you ask.

As for electric power steering -- 100% agree. We had left newer BMWs behind over the past many years since the E9x era greatly in part due to their poor implementation of EPS. We decided to take a flyer on the M2 Competition after reading about all the retuning they've done on the EPS (figuring we could flip it without much loss if it was awful). It's not. In fact, it's pretty amazing. I took the car to a 1/2 mile skidpad event and spent an entire afternoon evaluating the EPS for feel: approaching the limits of the front tires, at the limit, over the limit. It is really a huge difference from earlier BMW EPS attempts. The feel is excellent, the steering wheel torque vs cornering load builds up nicely, and overall it continues to impress me even after owning it now for 2 months.

Hopefully, this is a good sign of future EPS designs from BMW.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0