E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

02-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #221
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychoo View Post
Hi everyone!

This is an excellent write-up! But I'm curious... how to enable the dynamic parking lines while reversing?

Thanks!
There's a wire (usually green) that you cut to enable them. Near as I can tell, there's no way to have the guideline function on the CIC enable or disable them, unfortunately.

Edit: For my 2 cameras I bought, they both had a wire that stuck out of the bundle. In the seller's description and instructions on how to use, they said to cut it for those lines to be enabled.

Last edited by n8s 330xi; 02-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #222
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

First post updated with pdf.
      02-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #223
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychoo View Post
Hi everyone!

This is an excellent write-up! But I'm curious... how to enable the dynamic parking lines while reversing?

Thanks!
To my knowledge, no one has been able to get the dynamic lines to function with an aftermarket emulator/camera.
      02-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #224
bobbychoo
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport

It's a shame about non-existence of dynamic reverse lines. But I guess it's not a necessity :|

Thanks for your replies n8s and Rotary Rasp!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #225
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
Hi mates,

I am thinking on doing this retrofit in my 2007 car.
It has 507 option (rear PDC) but my CIC has been retrofited with CAN activator (CAN filter or emulator)

Has anyone installed it in a retrofited CIC car with can activator?

The seller says that it is not possible to install it with can activated CIC and I am trying to find out why this could be a problem.

Regards and thanks in advace
get your cic scripted won't need emulator
      02-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #226
jezzy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon

? I'd love info on this scripting too..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #227
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s 330xi View Post
Man, you do some good work!
One question though - does it matter which pin the twisted wires connect to? It's not entirely evident on the drawing with the twists, so I wanted to be sure before linking in my supplementary post as well.
oh, crap, well overlooked that part yes it does matter and yes I will fix this up on monday, sorry I honestly overlooked that part, just wanted to show the twist but then did not realize that both ends must be marked clearly
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #228
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One question though - does it matter which pin the twisted wires connect to? It's not entirely evident on the drawing with the twists, so I wanted to be sure before linking in my supplementary post as well.
oh, crap, well overlooked that part yes it does matter and yes I will fix this up on monday, sorry I honestly overlooked that part, just wanted to show the twist but then did not realize that both ends must be marked clearly
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #229
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Those of you using the handle-cam linked the first post, how has it stood up in time? I'm concerned because of the harsh conditions we get in Toronto (cold, wet, salt, snow, etc.), any concerns with using this eBay item from China?

Also, I think it will be a lot easier for me since I'm connecting it to an aftermarket HU (Pioneer Avic) and not the OEM CIC (I don't have I-drive at all). Any thoughts / suggestions to keep in mind? I'll be getting it installed professionally (though that doesn't always mean they know 100% of the small details for this installation in our cars).

Thanks to all who have contributed, looking forward to enabling this in my car too!
      03-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #230
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Those of you using the handle-cam linked the first post, how has it stood up in time? I'm concerned because of the harsh conditions we get in Toronto (cold, wet, salt, snow, etc.), any concerns with using this eBay item from China?

Also, I think it will be a lot easier for me since I'm connecting it to an aftermarket HU (Pioneer Avic) and not the OEM CIC (I don't have I-drive at all). Any thoughts / suggestions to keep in mind? I'll be getting it installed professionally (though that doesn't always mean they know 100% of the small details for this installation in our cars).

Thanks to all who have contributed, looking forward to enabling this in my car too!
The handle-cam is of surprising quality. No issues so far, looks like oem build quality.

Sorry, professionally installation means nothing... lol
      03-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #231
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Alberta winter condition, she is doing well in -40 deg Celsius up here so she will do well back east
I am not sure why you want someone else install this simple installation. Keep in mind they will not pay as much attention to detail as you would. I agree to what Rotary Rasp says when it comes to professional install
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #232
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
fixed up the drawing, added cable colors to the other end closer to the pin locations to clear up some confusion about the twisted cables.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camera wiring diagram Model_Rev1C.pdf (103.8 KB, 2422 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #233
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Alberta winter condition, she is doing well in -40 deg Celsius up here so she will do well back east
I am not sure why you want someone else install this simple installation. Keep in mind they will not pay as much attention to detail as you would. I agree to what Rotary Rasp says when it comes to professional install
I'm integrating mine with an aftermarket HU, which means the HU needs to come out to get access to the video inputs at the back, and wires run from the trunk to the HU. That's why I'd rather a pro do it.
For the record, I'm not taking it to just any pro, I have a couple of guys who I trust to do good work (from past work done on my bimmer's audio, and other vehicles audio and remote start), but just want to proactively identify any specific issues he should look out for.

Glad to hear your camera is weathering the storm just fine in Alberta... instills a lot of confidence for me here in TO.
      03-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #234
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm integrating mine with an aftermarket HU, which means the HU needs to come out to get access to the video inputs at the back, and wires run from the trunk to the HU. That's why I'd rather a pro do it.
For the record, I'm not taking it to just any pro, I have a couple of guys who I trust to do good work (from past work done on my bimmer's audio, and other vehicles audio and remote start), but just want to proactively identify any specific issues he should look out for.

Glad to hear your camera is weathering the storm just fine in Alberta... instills a lot of confidence for me here in TO.
I understand, your own personal choice, if you are willing to pay for it then why not. Just so you know, it is very easy to run the cables from the back to the front, panels remove easily and most of them do not have to be even removed as you can push the cables under with ease. Hardest part was going with the camera through that rubber sleeve that connects trunk lid with the rest of the car. Make sure you get the camera with mini AV connection or you will (or them I should say) in trouble . There is many DIY on how to remove the radios and front panel to gain the access. But again, your own personal choice and nothing wrong with having others do some work for you . Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #235
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
fixed up the drawing, added cable colors to the other end closer to the pin locations to clear up some confusion about the twisted cables.
Thanks! I updated the link in my walkthrough post. May not hurt to go back and see if you can update/remove the original and replace it with the new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #236
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:

I would imagine an aftermarket HU that has backup camera capabilities would probably have a much different process and connections than this would. I'd consult your HU's documentation and wire it according to that, rather than how we're doing it. This is to interface with BMW's stock systems - something you likely won't need to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #237
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I updated the link in my walkthrough post. May not hurt to go back and see if you can update/remove the original and replace it with the new one.
oh man, do you make me work on here lol gladly you mentioned it, at least I have learned how to edit my posts ha ha ha, done, all previous versions have been removed and replaced with the new one.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #238
n8s 330xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
oh man, do you make me work on here lol gladly you mentioned it, at least I have learned how to edit my posts ha ha ha, done, all previous versions have been removed and replaced with the new one.
What can I say? Deprecated versions of documentation on public filesystems is a pet peeve.

I'll admit it's a very specific peeve.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #239
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
Can you share details? I really want rearview but i have an 08 with CIC emulator and non PDC.
      03-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #240
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
From what I have read, no one has been able to enable the rear view camera with scripts.

If you know something the rest of the world doesn't, please enlighten us.
      03-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #241
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

The camera suggested sounds reliable, I've searched and there aren't many alternatives out there, certainly no oem bmw options anyway, so going to order the one from eBay. When changing the vo to add the 3ag option, do you need to code the whole car afterwards, or just the cic module?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #242
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123
The camera suggested sounds reliable, I've searched and there aren't many alternatives out there, certainly no oem bmw options anyway, so going to order the one from eBay. When changing the vo to add the 3ag option, do you need to code the whole car afterwards, or just the cic module?
FA_WRITE CAS and FRM. Then, change the values mentioned in CIC. That's it.
Appreciate 0