E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2010 CIC gone bad and looking for replacement

07-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i X-Drive (E90) (sold)

2010 CIC gone bad and looking for replacement

I haven't been on here for nearly a decade and my CIC recently went bottoms up. It boots to the BMW screen and resets constantly. Since there is no warranty, I went ahead and took it apart to see if there was anything obvious (loose connections, visible cracks, etc) but there is nothing visible that I can detect so I am assuming that one of the chips are bad on the main board.

I looked around for CIC repair and they mostly seem to be outside of the U.S.. So, I assume, I need to replace the unit. I would like to replace it with something better since I've seen the newer BMWs have great functions like Bluetooth audio (probably gapless playback) and other better features my CIC system does not have. I've seen threads about retrofitting CICs, but I already have the CIC so I don't think those are for me. Are there retrofitting options for the next generation?

Otherwise, I will just have to ask the dealer to code me a new one for big $$$$. I'm open to any suggestions if you have them.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

First pull the hard drive and see if the rebooting stops.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep

Thanks for your response. That is the first thing I did and the behavior did not change - so I am thinking it may actually be an IDE controller issue, which I believe is on one of the main boards.I also checked it in linux - the boot sector and partition table seem to be OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep

I found this place, https://www.bimmerretrofit.com/, and will likely get the NBT EVO kit.

But I found this thread, which gave me pause:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=10

Last edited by DeFKnoL; 07-14-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
I found this place, https://www.bimmerretrofit.com/, and will likely get the NBT EVO kit.

But I found this thread, which gave me pause:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=10
A proper NBT Evo retrofit done by yourself is about $3,000 USD. There is currently no vendor that offers a proper retrofit kit; they are just too expensive to justify.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
TEC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 355

Quote:
I haven't been on here for nearly a decade and my CIC recently went bottoms up. It boots to the BMW screen and resets constantly. Since there is no warranty, I went ahead and took it apart to see if there was anything obvious (loose connections, visible cracks, etc) but there is nothing visible that I can detect so I am assuming that one of the chips are bad on the main board.

I looked around for CIC repair and they mostly seem to be outside of the U.S.. So, I assume, I need to replace the unit. I would like to replace it with something better since I've seen the newer BMWs have great functions like Bluetooth audio (probably gapless playback) and other better features my CIC system does not have. I've seen threads about retrofitting CICs, but I already have the CIC so I don't think those are for me. Are there retrofitting options for the next generation?

Otherwise, I will just have to ask the dealer to code me a new one for big $$$$. I'm open to any suggestions if you have them.

Thanks.
Noticed you are in the DMV as am I. Something must be in the air because mine had died as well. For me I think it is my hard drive.

I have purchased every related module in the trunk (thought I may have spilled water back there) trying to fix it. Let me know if you want to try any of them out as they are collecting dust.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
November
Rep
Drives: '06 e90 330i

Quote:

Thanks.

I did a CCC to CIC retrofit myself including coding. It's really not all that hard.

Replacing your CIC with a new one should be easier since all the wiring is already there. I highly recommend following FaxData's Thread on how to code a CIC unit and not have to use an emulator.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1649066
Appreciate 0