E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > New member seeks new bimmer

12-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
tronsr71
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

New member seeks new bimmer

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am a Seattle native and live in the suburbs, doing software development. In 2019, i will be in the market for my first Bmw.

In the late nineties, my first car was my grandpa's old 1989 Nissan pickup. Then In 2005, i was on a very slim budget and snatched up a $700 '89 Honda Accord. A few years later, i bought a fun 2003 Acura CL-Type S.

My newest purchase, and current vehicle, is a 2005 Honda Civic (VP). When I bought this car in 2012 I was looking for something practical. It has served its purpose very well and has met all my expectations, but now I am interested in something more sporty.

Soon, when I find the right one, I'll be purchasing a 335is coupe. I rented one of these on Turo a while back and decided I really wanted the dct offered over the standard 335i. I look forward to purchasing, owning, and maintaining this car; it will be a terrific learning opportunity and rewarding experience!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Do you DIY? Don't want to scare you away, they're great cars, but they come with their share of issues that can be both costly and frustrating and your car history appears as it was a frugal one...nothing wrong with that. Of course, this forum is full of all of the negatives, but that's because not many come here to tell everyone how great and reliable their car has been. Just be aware of it, and put some cash aside for when things do go foul and plan on doing a good bit of maintenance.

As an example, I've now owned my 2010 E92 335i for exactly one year. Bought it with 49k, it now has about 55k. In that one year and roughly 6k miles, my charge pipe blew up and at least one of my boost solenoids failed. The charge pipe was replaced with an aftermarket aluminum part, and this is known to fail and should be considered a preventative maintenance item and replaced even before it fails so you don't end up getting stranded. The boost solenoids, I replaced both for peace of mind when one failed. I've also replaced all of the vacuum lines with silicone, and have about $2k in maintenance parts sitting waiting to be installed...this includes plugs, coils, seals, gaskets, tie rods, walnut blast...

Last edited by Emilime75; 12-31-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
tronsr71
Registered
United_States
Rep

@Emilime75 Indeed, i am going from one extreme of reliability (and frugality, lol) to another.

I've had my eye on the e92 for at least 8 years now and am head over heels for its lines. I'm also enticed by the the n54, and the smooth powerband it delivers.

The primary reason I've waited this long, was to get my personal finances in order prior to purchasing a brand notorious for their higher than average maintenance costs. Everything I have heard from friends that own, has made me weary of the heightened costs. I'm also concerned with how I'll be getting around when (not if) my future 335is will be in the shop. This is why I'm hanging on to my civic as a backup car.

When I was a teenager, i did my share of oil changes, water pump replacements, alternator replacements, etc. Nowadays though, I entrust my repairs to a local shop that I can look in the eye and not have an shred of doubt with their craft and integrity. Don't get me wrong, if push comes to shove and I can save an armload by taking on a job myself, I'm plenty confident to research what i need to and take it on.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

I was in the same boat as you, I had my old Honda Accord 5-speed that needed to be replaced but couldn't bring myself to purchase a car that wasn't an E92 335. To me, it was the perfect balance of sport & elegance.

Now I'm on my second 335, moving from a 2009 E92 (N54) to my 2011 E92 335is (also N54). I still have my Honda after all these years since it refuses to die, I've only had to replace tires and brakes in the last three years. I drive the Honda to work most days, but I have winter wheels on the 335is just in case she needs to make a snow appearance.

I wouldn't recommend an N54 unless you can do most of the work yourself, but that's only because there are alternatives available that are much more hassle free (looking at you, N55). The N54 just needs more time and parts to keep it at 100%, having to shell out cash for every little thing would get expensive quick. On the contrary, I have a buddy that doesn't know the difference between a wrench and a screwdriver, but the only issue he's had in the 4 years he's owned his 2007 335 was a failed waterpump.
      01-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
tronsr71
Registered
United_States
Rep

I'm curious what peoples take is on buying a car out of state. There are a few 335is cars that come up in my search from California and Arizona. Both of which i wouldn't mind flying out to pickup a car. My past two purchases, i made sure to get the vehicle inspected by a mechanic prior to buying.

Has anyone had experience arranging this remotely? Is there a better place to post this question?
Appreciate 0