E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Complete Silence

08-12-2020, 04:22 AM   #1
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ci

Complete Silence

Greetings, need someone who's a literal Logic7 magician. I have a non idrive 2008 N54 335i and there is absolutely no sound coming from the sound system. Changed the AMP, tried the fiber optic loop, changed the radio to an Eonon. Nothing fixed the issue. What else can one do? Thanks in advance.[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

08-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Codes?
No codes whatsoever.
      08-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I remember reading that there is a device that you can buy to check the fiber optic system
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I remember reading that there is a device that you can buy to check the fiber optic system
I've already done the loop test, still nothing
      08-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

Please describe the loop test of the optic fiber you have done. Also, let us know what radio unit you have at this moment on the car. I assume that Eonon is a Chinese brand... I find it hard to believe that they know the data protocol that is transmitted over the BMW fiber optic system. Also, I assume that at some point you had sound in your car.

I suggest that you find an BMW independent service in your area and go there before changing parts to find an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon2015 View Post
Please describe the loop test of the optic fiber you have done. Also, let us know what radio unit you have at this moment on the car. I assume that Eonon is a Chinese brand... I find it hard to believe that they know the data protocol that is transmitted over the BMW fiber optic system. Also, I assume that at some point you had sound in your car.

I suggest that you find an BMW independent service in your area and go there before changing parts to find an issue.
I do habe the Eonon unit as well as the fiber optic ballast but the sound has been out the car since I've had it. When I discovered the no audio I brought it to the bmw dealership and the diagnosed that the stock radio was done so I got another stock radio and tested it and same results, that's when I thought it was the logic 7 amp so I got another one and tried it, still no audio, so I bought the fiber optic loop and tried it throughout the entire loop points of the fiber optic points. This is non idrive so there is no navigation module, just Bluetooth and phone modules. Then I tried the fiber optic fitting by the amp as well as the isolated fiber optic connectors in the car. None worked.
      08-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep

So you have a Chinese radio with an most emulator (for L7), which I didn't knew exists, and I still find it hard to believe. You should have left the BMW dealership manage the repair. Almost any new radio (and by new I mean new to the car) should be coded for the car options. Perhaps if the new radio you have tested had been coded it would have worked.

To properly check the fiber optic you should just remove one by one each fiber optic connector in the car with the ignition on position 1 and check if you have one of the pins lighted in red in each connector. That test would tell you if all ecus, and loops are working. If that is the case then probably your radio is the issue, and a new one(as I have mentioned above) properly coded will do the trick.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you have a Chinese radio with an most emulator (for L7), which I didn't knew exists, and I still find it hard to believe. You should have left the BMW dealership manage the repair. Almost any new radio (and by new I mean new to the car) should be coded for the car options. Perhaps if the new radio you have tested had been coded it would have worked.

To properly check the fiber optic you should just remove one by one each fiber optic connector in the car with the ignition on position 1 and check if you have one of the pins lighted in red in each connector. That test would tell you if all ecus, and loops are working. If that is the case then probably your radio is the issue, and a new one(as I have mentioned above) properly coded will do the trick.

Good luck!
I've done the checks you mentioned, there is a light also here is the picture of the fiber optic decoder box for the Eonon head unit I have. The issue is not the new head unit because the issue existed with all factory stock parts.
Attached Images

08-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
Eniamaj
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniamaj View Post
Quote:

Good luck!
I've done the checks you mentioned, there is a light also here is the picture of the fiber optic decoder box for the Eonon head unit I have. The issue is not the new head unit because the issue existed with all factory stock parts.
Also, how do you "code a radio "?
      08-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep

You can code only original BMW ecus for your car with NCSexpert. There are many threads on this forum on this subject. Your Eonon probably has to be set to transmit the audio on AUX output. You will have to contact their support team for more info. When I said new radio, I was referring to new OEM radio.

Well, the issue existed with the stock parts, as you had or still have an issue. If the dealership told you that the radio was the issue, you can go from there.
Appreciate 1
Eniamaj12.00
      08-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Couple of thoughts:

First, your original head unit was probably fine. I wouldn’t trust the BMW dealer at all, especially when it comes to an older model - they tend to know very little about older vehicles.

Have you checked the fiber optic loop on the underside of the dash? It’s a diagnostic connector for the MOST system and might be damaged. More info here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347222

I’d try reinstalling the original head unit which came with your car, and checking the dash loop.

What MOST modules are installed in your car? Do you have SDARS (satellite radio)?
Appreciate 0