E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 335i MHD?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2020, 02:56 AM   #1
Shawnalston10
Private First Class
5
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Houston Texas

iTrader: (0)

2011 335i MHD?

Okay guys so I'm pretty much full bolt ons without the intercooler which is coming soon. What are your opinion on MHD stage 2+? Is it really that big of a difference? Is this worth the money? I've been in the MHD forums and all people talk about is the trouble they're having with it. Does anyone have MHD on their 2011-2013 335i that wanna share their experience on it with me?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
1733
Rep
3,553
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Definitely worth it. I haven't had any issues with MHD since buying it.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Shawnalston10
Private First Class
5
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Houston Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Definitely worth it. I haven't had any issues with MHD since buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Definitely worth it. I haven't had any issues with MHD since buying it.
Is it a big difference in power once you tune it? My stock turbo just completely maxes out around 6,000-6,500 rpm and I hate it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
fortywater
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnalston10 View Post
Is it a big difference in power once you tune it? My stock turbo just completely maxes out around 6,000-6,500 rpm and I hate it

You have no tune right now? If so, yes, it is going to be a massive difference. Also make sure you have a charge pipe as part of your fbo and I would get your intercooler installed before flashing to 2+

What your feeling is your boost is just falling off on the top end as part of the stock tune. MHD will taper your boost at the top end as well, but boost levels will be overall higher. You will feel more power on the top end, but you're going to feel huge torque gains down low.

Here is a decent representation of what you can expect: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1604801

You're still going to drop power at 5,500-6,000 RPM (see the dyno sheet). Notice the massive torque gains over stock as well. Keep in mind the results are to the wheels. You might be able to overcome some of that drop-off with a custom tune, but the real way to get around it is an upgraded turbo.

Last edited by fortywater; 01-16-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
131
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (0)

Going FBO without a tune is leaving the car stock lol. There is absolutly no point running FBO without a tune. FBO are support mods so you can go ahead and push the car more by tuning it, other than that they are useless.

JB4 or MHD would be your way to go. I have run MHD for a while now and it does have small hiccups but nothing big enough that would push me to stay stock.
__________________
2011 E90 335i xDrive - BMS Cold Air Intake - ETS Charge Pipe - ETS 7" FMIC - MHD Stage 2+ - GFB DV+ - PE Mod - VRSF Catless Downpipe - xDelete
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Shawnalston10
Private First Class
5
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Houston Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Going FBO without a tune ia leaving the car stock lol. There is absolutly no point running FBO without a tune. FBO are support mods so you can go ahead and push the car more by tuning it, other than that they are useless.

JB4 or MHD would be your way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Going FBO without a tune ia leaving the car stock lol. There is absolutly no point running FBO without a tune. FBO are support mods so you can go ahead and push the car more by tuning it, other than that they are useless.

JB4 or MHD would be your way to go.
I've known this whole time that I'm tuning my car I just wanted to see people opinions on MHD
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
1733
Rep
3,553
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnalston10 View Post
Is it a big difference in power once you tune it? My stock turbo just completely maxes out around 6,000-6,500 rpm and I hate it
You'll definitely notice it. It's a significant change in power.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
starbuck
Private First Class
starbuck's Avatar
15
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Msport
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

If you want a dialed in tune for your car, go with a custom tune instead of OTS.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
fortywater
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Going FBO without a tune is leaving the car stock lol. There is absolutly no point running FBO without a tune. FBO are support mods so you can go ahead and push the car more by tuning it, other than that they are useless.

JB4 or MHD would be your way to go. I have run MHD for a while now and it does have small hiccups but nothing big enough that would push me to stay stock.
Curious, what "small hiccups" are you experiencing? I am looking on buying MHD here in the next couple of months and I hear lots of different things from lots of different people. Are you getting rough cold start idle etc? Appreciate your input!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
131
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortywater View Post
Curious, what "small hiccups" are you experiencing? I am looking on buying MHD here in the next couple of months and I hear lots of different things from lots of different people. Are you getting rough cold start idle etc? Appreciate your input!
The thing is a lot of us run the OTS maps which are maps designed for the majority or general of case of 335s.

But every vehicle is slightly different so sometimes these OTS maps are not optimized for the vehicle and you need to get some custom tuning.

The small hiccups are some slight problems that most of the time requires fine tuning like: rough idle, burbles not working uniformally for everyone, boost not being as smooth as the targettes curve, etc.
__________________
2011 E90 335i xDrive - BMS Cold Air Intake - ETS Charge Pipe - ETS 7" FMIC - MHD Stage 2+ - GFB DV+ - PE Mod - VRSF Catless Downpipe - xDelete
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
126
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: f25
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

Let me know if you'd like to be one of the few running my maps.

These are no-cost maps (I am not selling anything). I have one that will be a little more impressive than than the MHD s2+ and I'll help you with a few revisions.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #12
fortywater
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The thing is a lot of us run the OTS maps which are maps designed for the majority or general of case of 335s.

But every vehicle is slightly different so sometimes these OTS maps are not optimized for the vehicle and you need to get some custom tuning.

The small hiccups are some slight problems that most of the time requires fine tuning like: rough idle, burbles not working uniformally for everyone, boost not being as smooth as the targettes curve, etc.
Word. Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST