E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

01-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #8295
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Is there an ETA on an iOS version of mhd?
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #8296
NRigs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
It actually worked. Thanks man! I can hear burbles now. Ill try to see if I can confirm that base is the setting for sport and vice versa tomorrow, but it doesnt seem to burble in base mode.
Base is for the 6AT sport/manual mode burbles. The sport option is for the sport mode with the DCT I believe. Not sure what options work for the 6MT. I believe it is base and you always have burbles.
darkrom117.00

01-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #8297
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
Base is for the 6AT sport/manual mode burbles. The sport option is for the sport mode with the DCT I believe. Not sure what options work for the 6MT. I believe it is base and you always have burbles.
My vehicle doesn't have the DEC package (Driver experience Control) from factory. There are plenty of writeups to see how to implement them.

My vehicle does emulate these modes, though.
- Normal - default mode (comfort)
- DTC ON - push DSC button once (sport)
- DSC OFF - push and hold DSC button (sport+)

I find that in default mode (comfort) I only get burbles if I get the exhaust hot enough. These fall in line with "base"

I find that with DTC ON (sport) I get burbles a bit more often, but they are falling in line with the "base" burble option"

I find that if I am in DSC OFF (sport+) then the car behaves along the lines of sport mode enabled. If i set the "sport" burble to longer, I get longer burbles (ala ak47).

Additionally, I find that the D vs S mode for the shifter has NO impact on anything DME related. Simply, I feel like this ONLY changes the TCU logic for shifting, which can be found in xHP.

Lastly, I know the Normal and DSC off modes are synonymous with comfort and Sport+ because of how the DME handles a bunch of the throttle logic. Changing these modes does impact both the DME and the TCU as the shifts in DSC off (sport+) are extremely fast, produce a different exhaust note when shifting, and (most importantly) can be adjusted through iDrive when the option is coded in (i.e. steering heaviness, etc.)

One final note - If you're after stuff that doesn't sound like shit, setting the intensity to extreme and the duration low (like 0.5-1s) you will be much more pleased than the out-of-the-box farty ak-47 type "burbles" and I plan on intoducing some "OTS" maps in the future that enable the fine tuning of what that sound profile looks like. On my platform now, I have very very rapid and short bursts of overfueling, which results in the M2-esque anti-lag noises.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #8298
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Hey all, I just received a Galaxy S10 and have tried two different USB-C OTG cables, but none of them have worked. One was MFI-Certified and the other was based on a forum post where a user said a specific eBay USB OTG cable worked for them.

MHD says no cable could be found. My K+DCAN connector lights up red indicating it's at least getting power.

My previous Galaxy S7 worked great with this same K+DCAN cable. Does anyone know what could be the issue? Is this a software thing with Android 10?
Unplug the OBD cable from the OTG cable and connect them again. That's what I have to do on my S9 with USB type C.
      01-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #8299
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
I wish I knew this sooner lol. Based on darkrom 's post, I set my settings to:

Hard
Base: 0.1
Sport: 0.5

I heard low burbles when I was driving home from work, but as I was exiting on the freeway, I downshifted and thought I drove over something because I heard a sound similar to a rock hitting a windshield but under my car.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until today when I reversed the durations. Aggressive and Medium settings sounded way too loud and similar to gunshots lol, so I decided to just set it to soft which seemed like it had a lower pitched rumble.
Appreciate 1
darkrom117.00

01-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #8300
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

So I finally got my coupler back on and did a 3rd gear pull up to 6000 rpm just to get an idea on the IAT rise. Will start to log more.

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...og=0&data=4-20
      01-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #8301
Keyless77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i e88 2011,DCT,Wagner IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
So I finally got my coupler back on and did a 3rd gear pull up to 6000 rpm just to get an idea on the IAT rise. Will start to log more.

I think you ddnt warm the car well enough,
Your oil temp is below 60C , when you started the pull, and your IAT 4c , meaning your car had been packed where temp is just above freezing point.
For a pull you need oil to be warm enough > 80c. Better at around 95c

As for the IATs , once the car gets operating temps, with a decent intercooler the temp should not climb as sharp as your earlier log, in some cases temps will even drop during the pull.. ie. If car was idling in traffic before the pull .

Try taking another log I suggest.

Last edited by Keyless77; 01-25-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #8302
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyless77 View Post
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...&data=4-20
Your oil temp is below 60ºC , when you started the pull, and your IAT 4ºc , meaning your car had been packed where temp is just above freezing point.
For a pull you need oil to be warm enough > 80ºc. Better at around 95ºc

As for the IATs , once the car gets operating temps, with a decent intercooler the temp should not climb as sharp as your earlier log, in some cases temps will even drop during the pull.. ie. If car was idling in traffic before the pull .

I took this log specifically when the car just turned on because the main point here was to look at the IAT climb. I am not going to see a better IAT curve then at this point where the engine bay is not hot yet so that was the idea of taking the log before operating temp.
      01-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #8303
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyless77 View Post
Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...&data=4-20
Your oil temp is below 60ºC , when you started the pull, and your IAT 4ºc , meaning your car had been packed where temp is just above freezing point.
For a pull you need oil to be warm enough > 80ºc. Better at around 95ºc

I took this log specifically when the car just turned on because the main point here was to look at the IAT climb. I am not going to see a better IAT curve then at this point where the engine bay is not hot yet so that was the idea of taking the log before operating temp.
Any chance you were able to try out the map I sent you?

I've got a few people running them now (for no cost) and have had nothing but exceptional results.

Please let me know if you're still interested. I'm trying to get enough people running them so when I release the FREE OTS maps, we don't run into all this jumbo jumbo.

This isn't related to me selling maps (because I don't do that) - but if we get a fund chipped in for half a day on dyno, I'd be happy to put numbers to it for a few platforms (since Houston is a pretty diverse BMW scene).
Appreciate 1
darkrom117.00

01-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #8304
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post

I've got a few people running them now (for no cost) and have had nothing but exceptional results.

Please let me know if you're still interested. I'm trying to get enough people running them so when I release the FREE OTS maps, we don't run into all this jumbo jumbo.

This isn't related to me selling maps (because I don't do that) - but if we get a fund chipped in for half a day on dyno, I'd be happy to put numbers to it for a few platforms (since Houston is a pretty diverse BMW scene).
No not yet sorry, but I am ready to flash it! I just go that coupler back on and now it's snowing so much I would probably die trying.

Imma wait till this crazy canadian weather decides to normalize a bit.

Would you happen to recall what boost target it has?
      01-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #8305
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No not yet sorry, but I am ready to flash it! I just go that coupler back on and now it's snowing so much I would probably die trying.

Boost target is directly proportional to air mass.

These DMEs go for load target. This has much more to do with the full breadth of operational parameters (ignition, fueling, VANOS, boost, etc.

That said, here in Houston (80*F), I've seen a target of 17psi from 3k to redline under full load. Stock turbo cannot achieve 17psi at redline and drops to 12-14 in a taper beginning at 4-4.5k.

I can obviously adjust this down for you if you'd like. I think you'll see an improvement over your old map, as this pressure is being sent into the intake manifold, not choked back at the throttle body.

More flow = not as much psi required = happier.

Drive ability has been drastically improved in our-of-boost areas and we have addressed every "surging" complaint for all the members taking part in my alpha testing.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #8306
FireBlaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:

These DMEs go for load target. This has much more to do with the full breadth of operational parameters (ignition, fueling, VANOS, boost, etc.

That said, here in Houston (80*F), I've seen a target of 17psi from 3k to redline under full load. Stock turbo cannot achieve 17psi at redline and drops to 12-14 in a taper beginning at 4-4.5k.

I can obviously adjust this down for you if you'd like. I think you'll see an improvement over your old map, as this pressure is being sent into the intake manifold, not choked back at the throttle body.

Drive ability has been drastically improved in our-of-boost areas and we have addressed every "surging" complaint for all the members taking part in my alpha testing.
Do you think your map can improve on these logs?

https://datazap.me/u/porschet/log-15...og=0&data=4-21
      01-26-2020, 03:52 AM   #8307
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like I better buy the monitor module and get to logging. I'd like to try out one of your revised maps. When I get home tomorrow I'll buy the module now that I have the WiFi adapter.

Thanks for doing this for us all.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #8308
bbnks2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:

Yeah the 10f rise in IAT's across a 3rd gear pull looks completely normal. I usually see about 15f rise with a 5" intercooler. Then another 20f? rise if I wring 4th gear out to 6500rpms+.

The issue is still load exceeding target early in the pull. Throttle closes causing boost to rise rapidly. you can see wgd drop to 20% as well. Keep in mind that 4c is pretty damn cold and amb pressure is 14.8psi (dense air). In the summer, when it's 32c outside and amb pressure is 14.5psi, the ots map might run just fine.

Do you have any other people's stage 2+ 91acn logs to compare to? Have you ran the 1+ 91acn map to see what that looks like? The 91acn maps might need some slight tweaks but without the breadth of logs that MHD has available to them from customers it's hard to know if it's a car/location specific issue or a broader tweak that needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #8309
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Yeah the 10f rise in IAT's across a 3rd gear pull looks completely normal. I usually see about 15f rise with a 5" intercooler. Then another 20f? rise if I wring 4th gear out to 6500rpms+.

The issue is still load exceeding target early in the pull. Throttle closes causing boost to rise rapidly. you can see wgd drop to 20% as well. Keep in mind that 4c is pretty damn cold and amb pressure is 14.8psi (dense air). In the summer, when it's 32c outside and amb pressure is 14.5psi, the ots map might run just fine.

Do you have any other people's stage 2+ 91acn logs to compare to? Have you ran the 1+ 91acn map to see what that looks like? The 91acn maps might need some slight tweaks but without the breadth of logs that MHD has available to them from customers it's hard to know if it's a car/location specific issue or a broader tweak that needs to be done.
Hey thanks for keeping up with me, so I can send you a few logs of Stage 1+ I took, but these where a while ago.

Here is a Stage 1+ log when I didn't have the DV+ (91 Octane)
https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...=0&data=4-5-20

Another Stage 1+, no DV+, more corrections and high rpm (91 Octane)
https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...0&data=4-11-20

Here is a Stage 1+ log with the DV+ (94 Octane)

I do not have any Stage 2+ without the DV+ and I did once compare my Wastegate Duty Cycle on Stage 1+ with my friends and mine was more choppy and active for some reason.

I flashed anjuna's map today and my phone decided to restart during the flash. Almost shat my pants when it said couldn't communicate with DME when I tried to reflash. Anyways, everything good now and I will test that slowly and let yall know how it goes.
anjuna198.00

01-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #8310
rmap3k4mhdac6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Hey thanks for keeping up with me, so I can send you a few logs of Stage 1+ I took, but these where a while ago.

Here is a Stage 1+ log when I didn't have the DV+ (91 Octane)
https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...=0&data=4-5-20

Another Stage 1+, no DV+, more corrections and high rpm (91 Octane)
https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...0&data=4-11-20

Here is a Stage 1+ log with the DV+ (94 Octane)

I do not have any Stage 2+ without the DV+ and I did once compare my Wastegate Duty Cycle on Stage 1+ with my friends and mine was more choppy and active for some reason.

I flashed anjuna's map today and my phone decided to restart during the flash. Almost shat my pants when it said couldn't communicate with DME when I tried to reflash. Anyways, everything good now and I will test that slowly and let yall know how it goes.
Looking at these logs and reflecting on my own experience with anjuna's work makes me think we should see a much smoother log with the map he has developed.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #8311
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
Looking at these logs and reflecting on my own experience with anjuna's work makes me think we should see a much smoother log with the map he has developed.
Thanks for the kind words! I will be releasing these soon for multiple HW revs - just need more alpha testers in different locations.

The release will include a lengthy tutorial about tuning, strategies, limits, definitions, and ALL the tunes will be OPEN .bin files (NOT locked to VIN)

This would be a release to hopefully bring more engagement to the platform, as opposed to keeping it all behind locked doors.

Well, except that one fuck who brandished his "intelligence" over in the M2 "brap" thread. Fuck that guy in particular.
      01-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #8312
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

Quote:
My vehicle doesn't have the DEC package (Driver experience Control) from factory. There are plenty of writeups to see how to implement them.

I find that in default mode (comfort) I only get burbles if I get the exhaust hot enough. These fall in line with "base"

I find that with DTC ON (sport) I get burbles a bit more often, but they are falling in line with the "base" burble option"

I find that if I am in DSC OFF (sport+) then the car behaves along the lines of sport mode enabled. If i set the "sport" burble to longer, I get longer burbles (ala ak47).

Additionally, I find that the D vs S mode for the shifter has NO impact on anything DME related. Simply, I feel like this ONLY changes the TCU logic for shifting, which can be found in xHP.

Lastly, I know the Normal and DSC off modes are synonymous with comfort and Sport+ because of how the DME handles a bunch of the throttle logic. Changing these modes does impact both the DME and the TCU as the shifts in DSC off (sport+) are extremely fast, produce a different exhaust note when shifting, and (most importantly) can be adjusted through iDrive when the option is coded in (i.e. steering heaviness, etc.)

One final note - If you're after stuff that doesn't sound like shit, setting the intensity to extreme and the duration low (like 0.5-1s) you will be much more pleased than the out-of-the-box farty ak-47 type "burbles" and I plan on intoducing some "OTS" maps in the future that enable the fine tuning of what that sound profile looks like. On my platform now, I have very very rapid and short bursts of overfueling, which results in the M2-esque anti-lag noises.
This is interesting. Is this just for the F series or would the E series work the same?
      01-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #8313
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzombie View Post
Quote:

This is interesting. Is this just for the F series or would the E series work the same?
I cannot comment
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #8314
Keyless77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i e88 2011,DCT,Wagner IC

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words! I will be releasing these soon for multiple HW revs - just need more alpha testers in different locations.
Well, except that one fuck who brandished his "intelligence" over in the M2 "brap" thread. Fuck that guy in particular.
Just ignore those who try to put you down, they don't deserve your attention.

Thanks for your great engagement.
Appreciate 3
      01-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #8315
rmap3k4mhdac6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzombie View Post

The E82 DCT 135i does not work like this. We have a sport button (no sport plus) we have a DTC/DSC button, and we have a sport transmission position.

So basically we have the button that sharpens accelerator pedal response and we have the sport transmission position to hold the gears longer and keep the RPMs high. Then we have the nannies on/off button (DTC/DSC).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #8316
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Anyone using the MHD Wifi adapter has this weird glitch where when manual logging the log just stops after a few seconds?

I was trying to log idle and a long drive home and every time I pressed log, 30 seconds later the log stopped. Switched to my cable and it worked just fine.