E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose

09-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #23
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I still get the 30E9 nox cat ageing error, and the engine does not perform in Stratified charge mode.

I have gotten in touch with one of the Map Tech guys, explained them what I am getting and they said, I quote
To get rid of 30E9 you would need to use ISTA to register new NOX Cat, as if you just replaced it.
I heard 30E9 will be happening if NOX sensor is aged and clogged (but still working somewhat and responding). According to bimmerprofs, it can be diagnosed with INPA by looking at NOX sensor offset. Should be around 1ppm, less that 5ppm.
Mine shows "!14" including that exclamation mark. In this case, according to Bimmerprofs, car decides NOX cat must have aged and throws 30E9 code and stratified game over.
I wasn't aware NOX can be coded out so already ordered NOXEM, will see how that goes.

Did the map/code work for you, including NOX? I might eventually get tempted to visit ProMap, just 2hrs drive.
[/QUOTE]

Let us know your take on the NOxEM once you have it installed, any power improvements/smoothness and mpg etc. A couple of people have it coded out, I've emailed a few tuners including Maptech but they still havnt got back to me hence still undecided!

NOxEM does seem good on paper!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

I will surely say what I think about it after I get it installed.
Sadly I didn't think much at that time and just purchased NOXEM, not knowing there is map/code option too AND also a bit later I have seen some other NOX emulators online for about 150, which is like half price of NOXEM. But now it's too late and according to tracking I will have it here next week. I have high hopes for it given the price.
I did see one forum member mentioned installing it and it solved few problems for him, so I'm optimistic.
      09-13-2019, 01:19 AM   #25
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Personally I wouldn't go for anything other than NOxEM or Map-out! Even with the map-out I'm read stories of people mapping the sensor out to only face more problems as apparently there isn't a way to get it back!

On the bright side, NOxEM does mention that their version delays CAT regeneration so better economy, so if it is as smart as they claim it to be it might just be the right thing!

I've emailed a couple of tuners to ask how exactly they map it out and whether they also do cat regen delay etc or even better just delete the secondary cats from the map to never waste fuel heating them!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #26
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

It arrived
Attached Images

09-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #27
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Watching with interest ! I think I need one for my F10 N53 as the mpg went really really good for about 2 weeks and then dropped off a cliff.

Curious to know what the general quality is like, does it look OE? Wonder how they make them.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #28
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It arrived
Tempting specially as no tuners have got back to me yet regarding their process etc I may go down this route!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:47 AM   #29
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

It does look very good, quality seems to be excellent. And it seems like it really is Bosch probe, as advertised.
Attached Images

09-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #30
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
It does look very good, quality seems to be excellent. And it seems like it really is Bosch probe, as advertised.
Recommend you have a propane or map gas blow torch to get out the old one... removing the sensor is a pain!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #31
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_460cs View Post
Recommend you have a propane or map gas blow torch to get out the old one... removing the sensor is a pain!
Not sure if guys at the garage have those, but hoping a wrench + a hammer/rubber_mallet will do the job
      09-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #32
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Looks good. Be interested to hear how you get on.

I keep thinking mine has failed but I still had 34mpg on a run earlier. Down slightly from 37mpg typical and 39mpg max. The engine feels a bit down on power too, but that's subjective.

Last time I looked there were plausibliity codes for NOx but I'll check again.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #33
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Looks good. Be interested to hear how you get on.

I keep thinking mine has failed but I still had 34mpg on a run earlier. Down slightly from 37mpg typical and 39mpg max. The engine feels a bit down on power too, but that's subjective.

Last time I looked there were plausibliity codes for NOx but I'll check again.
Is this calculated? I have nox issues and the car still displays 32MPG! But I've been calculating and it's down to 28mpg for mixed driving!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #34
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

In my case I reset my MPG then went for a drive on a highway (to try desulphate) and came back with 12 L/100 which calculates to about 24 British MPG or 20 US MPG. That's with one of the NOX related codes: 30E9.
My mechanic is on vacation, need to wait 2 weeks...
      09-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #35
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

From everything I've read NOxEM should get you anywhere from 35 to 40+ mpg which is perfect for a 6 cyl!

Initially I was getting 32 mpg when I first got the nox faults etc but now it's 26-28! I assume the secondary cats are not being regenerated anymore hence getting clogged not sure!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #36
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know if the desulphurisation / regen causes a rotten egg smell from the exhaust or is something wrong with mine? Only happened briefly after a spirited run. I have had NOx errors recently but nothing on the bimmerprofs "your NOx is dead" list of codes. Sulphur stinks of eggs so I presume the rotten egg smell was a regen rather than overfuel cat smell in which case my nox must be working to trigger a regen. 35mpg on a 25 mile motorway run this morning too, not bad for a 3.0 petrol F10.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:22 AM   #37
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure on that smell, if it goes away then I would assume it's just the desulphation process. On the other hand: "As the cat fails, it stops changing hydrogen sulfide into its odorless counterpart and the result is a strong smell of rotten eggs from the exhaust." Or have a look here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369192
Out of curiosity - what codes do you have?
My 24 MPG seems to be messed up badly comparing to others, I really hope 30E9 code is the reason and NOXEM will fix that. If not, I will be clueless...
      09-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #38
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not sure on that smell, if it goes away then I would assume it's just the desulphation process. On the other hand: "As the cat fails, it stops changing hydrogen sulfide into its odorless counterpart and the result is a strong smell of rotten eggs from the exhaust." Or have a look here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369192
Out of curiosity - what codes do you have?
My 24 MPG seems to be messed up badly comparing to others, I really hope 30E9 code is the reason and NOXEM will fix that. If not, I will be clueless...
I've got 30E9 also! My daily commute is 25 miles each way from London if that helps so I would say mix driving! And I get 28mpg. On a run to Manchester at night so no traffics I managed 29/ 30!

Again I've heard NOxEM delays cat regen etc over the standard OEM system and hence they claim upto 15% better economy than a standard fully working nox system!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #39
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Quote:
Gulp.. thats quite an increase! -11 needs to be done as a set in fact -10 is the same.

I have 4 working non leaking injectors (I had 2 leaking). If you or anyone else is interested they are available for sale.
Thanks Will, I've just been busy doing as you advised, long story short finally managed to change the plugs, drove around for 2 weeks then took them off in the morning and no leaking injectors to my surprise so thats good news! Everything was dry. So big thanks for everything you've put in this post, its surely helped me out understand these engines!

I've since emailed MapTech and they quoted £370 for Decat, Nox and Remap although as you said its a 330i so not much in it for a remap prob/maybe just better throttle response and around 280/90bhp.

I was about to book it, until I read the FAQ for NOXEM and realised it seems a lot smarter than the just a delete! it apparently delays CAT generation etc. which means up to 25% better efficiency! Not sure if the delete does anything like this.

I've also looked at the DIRENZA mid section you mentioned but its only for the 325i unfortunately, although RealOEM shows same exhaust setup for the 325i and 330i I'm not sure if diameters fit.
If you had 325i a remap is a no brainier... as you have a 330i then a there not much to be had power wise then it's really pretty arbitrary between the remap and noxem... price is about the same too... the main thing is dumping the nox cats to a enhance the sound and b increase gas flow on the exhaust so cat regeneration (ie nox regen) is immaterial anyways.

325i and 330i have the same cat and mid pipe, so the Direnza mid pipe is nice cheap solution and is a direct fit for 325i and 330i etc.. the only thing that's different between 330i and 325i is a valve on the rear box which is inconsequential anyways... put there to change volume level etc

If this helps you please click on the appreciate link!- shameless plug
Will, I've just had my mechanic install the Direnza pipe as I couldn't do it on axle stands and the NOx sensor apparently don't fit? Mechanic advised to contact direnza for a adapter etc?

Did you have this problem? Do the 325/330 have the same NOx sensor size?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #40
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've got 30E9 also! My daily commute is 25 miles each way from London if that helps so I would say mix driving! And I get 28mpg. On a run to Manchester at night so no traffics I managed 29/ 30!

Again I've heard NOxEM delays cat regen etc over the standard OEM system and hence they claim upto 15% better economy than a standard fully working nox system!
According to Bimmerpfofs that 30E9 code is one of those that disables stratified charge mode only allowing car to run in emergency mode.
Did you check your NOX sensor using INPA? Some useful details shown there. According to Bimmerprofs, sometimes 30E9 does not actually mean cat is aging, but NOX sensor not functioning properly makes the car think that.
In my case INPA shows NOX sensor Offset out of range meaning it is clogged (again, according to Bimmerprofs, if we can trust them). Value No3 in Nox screenshot here: https://bimmerprofs.com/problems-per...ck-nox-sensor/
It says somewhere that emergency mode, fuel consumption goes up A LOT.

EDIT: Found it
"If the error message memory of N43/N53 series engines contains error messages regarding NOx sensor and/or NOx catalytic converter (30EA; 30E9) or – the NOx sensors have hidden defects, due to which the engine doesn’t use Stratified charge, average fuel consumption (depending on driving mode) will be increased to 15 .. 25% (higher increase – in low load modes)."
      09-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #41
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Will, I've just had my mechanic install the Direnza pipe as I couldn't do it on axle stands and the NOx sensor apparently don't fit? Mechanic advised to contact direnza for a adapter etc?

I think it's the same sensor:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...129&series=E92
      09-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #42
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think it's the same sensor:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...#38;series=E92
Yh have no idea why it didn't fit! The exhaust port was just too small! Will have to contact direnza and see if I can get a refund! So gutted as now the car is worse than it was!

I think cut and weld is the simpler easier solution to secondary cats!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #43
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep

Bit off topic but would anyone happen to know the size of the NOx sensor (diameter, pitch etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #44
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 530i

Quote:
Bit off topic but would anyone happen to know the size of the NOx sensor (diameter, pitch etc)
The NOXEM comes with an thread adapter to fit on the original exhaust, certainly the case on my N53 E60 530i whereby the NOXEM's Bosch sensor was a smaller size to my original NOX sensor, not sure if the same applies to the E9X series.

I was one of the first in the UK to install the NOXEM and for anyone who has doubts you are in safe hands. Today I made a 50 mile return trip along the M3\M25\A3 to New Malden cruising between 60-70mph and achieved 42.8mpg indicated on the OBC, it was actually around 45 mpg until I hit the town center. Overall I'm very pleased to have restored stratified mode as was only achieving around 35mpg with a faulty NOX sensor for the same journey.

I'm not affliliated with Bimmerprofs in anyway but I want to give them a honest review in that they give lifetime warranty of the NOXEM ECU as long as you own the car, the Bosch sensor is 12 months warranty and can be replaced should it fail in future which will save you money in the long run considering the extortionate price for an OEM NOX.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0