E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Upgrade + M3 Master Cylinder?

10-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Brake Upgrade + M3 Master Cylinder?

So pretty much set on the best direct replacement package option are the ECS 2 piece rotors, Hawk HPS pads, stainless lines with brass caliper bushings and motul fluid (dd). Anything F30 340mm or BMW Performance are overall worse compared to our stock from everything I've gathered, which sucks cuz I'd love to have those BMW Performance brakes to match but oh well.

Question is should I just throw the M3 master cylinder in there as well, why not? I'm sure it's not necessary until you start tracking it. Are there any in/outs to know, straight forward diy while bleeding the rest of the brake system? Any disadvantages of changing it out at a later time? TIA
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

What benefit do you expect from an M3 master?

You are retaining stock calipers so I would not swap the master.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Anything F30 340mm or BMW Performance are overall worse compared to our stock from everything I've gathered...
Where did you gather this? For the money and time you will spend dicking around with pads, ECS rotors, and the other stuff for your stock brakes you could likely find a full set of take off 340/345mm Brembo f30 brakes which is much better than single piston sliding calipers you have now.

I have a 328i and only added the front 340mm set up with no m/c change. I got the Brembo calipers, 2 piece 340mm rotors, pads, dust shields, sensor, etc with ~10k miles on everything for $450 on offer up. This is about the going rate and a nice upgrade in performance and looks even if you forget the price.

Last edited by Biginboca; 10-28-2018 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      10-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
What benefit do you expect from an M3 master?

You are retaining stock calipers so I would not swap the master.
Was thinking better pedal feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Where did you gather this? For the money and time you will spend dicking around with pads, ECS rotors, and the other stuff for your stock brakes you could likely find a full set of take off 340/345mm Brembo f30 brakes which is much better than single piston sliding calipers you have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
http://m.ebay.com/itm/291128940559?_...25.m3641.l6368Buy used from $50 to $150. I did. No regrats.
Pedal feel would be worse with f30 calipers.
For best brake pedal on the e90 invest in m3 brake cylinder, good pads, stainless steel lines and caliper brass bushings.
You will like it, I guarantee it, better feel than stock e90 and f30 brembo at a lot lower cost.
Mainly from posts I've read throughout, some guys with track experience saying the BMW Performance ones faded even quicker than stock 335i system on a track day. A couple other posts I remember seeing saying only worth to go up to the 370/380 if you're gonna bother.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok awesome, thanks everybody for all the input!!

I'll just chill out here
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

F3x Performance brake set with 370mm rotors, 4 piston calipers... The full kit includes rear 2 piston calipers and you have to source your own, larger, rear rotors. It's all well documented here in this forum in one long thread. The fronts are plug and play and don't require the M3 MC. Rears require a little additional work and do require the M3 MC.

This does offer a performance upgrade, and looks killer, to boot. However, you'll also have to be careful with wheel choice with the larger rotor/caliper combo.
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      11-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
F3x Performance brake set with 370mm rotors, 4 piston calipers... The full kit includes rear 2 piston calipers and you have to source your own, larger, rear rotors. It's all well documented here in this forum in one long thread. The fronts are plug and play and don't require the M3 MC. Rears require a little additional work and do require the M3 MC.

This does offer a performance upgrade, and looks killer, to boot. However, you'll also have to be careful with wheel choice with the larger rotor/caliper combo.
Ya that thread is hard to read for me, just seems there's much more misinformation to sift through than usual.

Need new caliper brackets for the 370mm fronts though, no? And coding is gonna need to come into play also..?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Ya that thread is hard to read for me, just seems there's much more misinformation to sift through than usual.

Need new caliper brackets for the 370mm fronts though, no? And coding is gonna need to come into play also..?
No brackets needed for the front. I did the full retrofit on my IS. I used the F3x M Performance rotors front and rear so I did get the rear calipers machined down and did the rest of the tweaking myself. There's a couple more options for the rear now that minimize or eliminate the machining but I don't know all the details on them.

No coding necessary no matter what route you take.
feuer4275.50
      11-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

For better pedal feel, replace all guide pin bushes with brass ones. That gives an exceptional positive change. You will feel each mm of pedal travel do something.

Downside is the maintenance but i believe there are some sealed ones available now.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Anything F30 340mm or BMW Performance are overall worse compared to our stock from everything I've gathered, which sucks cuz I'd love to have those BMW Performance brakes to match but oh well.
Incorrect. F3x even 340mm are better than any e9x brakes including e9x BMW Performance brakes (135i brakes) that melt the pistons. If you rebuild them with upgraded Pistons then they are better but still smaller than f3x brakes. Oem 335i brakes are better than oem 135i brakes. There is a reason why 135i (e9x performance brakes) were never offered for 335i. Also there is a reason why 335i front pads are interchangeable with e9x m3 pads.
Quote:
Question is should I just throw the M3 master cylinder in there as well, why not? I'm sure it's not necessary until you start tracking it. Are there any in/outs to know, straight forward diy while bleeding the rest of the brake system? Any disadvantages of changing it out at a later time? TIA
I believe I gave you previously great suggestion regarding what should you do if you only want more assuring pedal feel. Regarding bleeding the system use INPA to activate the ABS pump of pedal might be mushy.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:35 AM   #11
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, X5 F15, 330Ci e46

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

One needs only to take a few hours and read carefully, you'll find ALL the info that you need in that thread..

I did the conversion last week so I'll try to summarize it:

- fronts 370mm are plug and play, no brackets or whatsoever needed
- rears 345mm, you'll need e60 brake discs and excentric bushings for the calipers, grind the dust shield to fit the calipers, other than that no adapters/cutting needed..
- if you bleed it correctly you won't need the M3 master right away, the feel is not so dramatic as some are describing it, I will mount mine in the spring, no rush..
- same with the coding, if I hadn't read here I would never know that such a coding was even possible, but I will do that also someday..
- you won't be able to fit OEM 18" e9x wheels anymore, only F30 18"
- OEM 19" wheels will need a 10mm spacer on the rear

I also tried all possible combinations to make it work with the original calipers, EBC Groove Discs, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, stainless braided lines, Motul RBF oil.. I spent a little fortune and never got the result that I needed, the brake force "per se" was ok, but they would overheat and warp after 2 laps on the Ring..

Save some more money and do the F30 370/345mm upgrade and you won't be disappointed..
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
BSM n54iS2684.50
feuer4275.50
tetsuo1111227.00
The_Werm212.00
      12-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Pmeng
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

can anyone share a link or conatact info to aquire these offset bushings??
feel free to pm also
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #13
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmeng View Post
can anyone share a link or conatact info to aquire these offset bushings??
feel free to pm also
Take a look in the main F30 Performance Brakes thread, I gave the guy's whatsapp contact somewhere in the last few pages..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #14
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

did you got an eintragung un germany?
I live too in germany and have to pass the car to TUEV every 2 years
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #15
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
did you got an eintragung un germany?
I live too in germany and have to pass the car to TUEV every 2 years
I'll do it in the spring as I plan to do some other stuff as well and then I'll let them eintragen all at once.
It has to be "Einzelabnahme" but should work because the brakes are from a car that is more powerful and are basically plug and play.

Some guys on BMWSyndikat did it succesfully, in the worst case scenario I'll pay some tuning garage to do it, they can eintragen almost everything.

In the attachment below you have the Prüfbericht of the F30 Performance brakes with all the data the TÜV Prüfer needs.

If you need any assistance just ask ahead!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf pruefbericht_f30_f31_f32_f33_f34_f36 BREMSE PERFORMANCE.pdf (125.1 KB, 1097 views)
Appreciate 1
renizer12.00
      12-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

Wow.. damnit, I just started upgrading my brakes
Would you say it's also ok to only upgrade the fronts in case of the 335i's stock 336mm discs?

Last edited by renizer; 12-18-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
drZ127.50
      12-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renizer View Post
Wow.. damnit, I just started upgrading my brakes
Would you say it's also ok to only upgrade the fronts in case of the 335i's stock 336mm discs?
why not, I find the rears to be beefy enough, and not so problematic as the fronts..
many fuys here have done the samw mod and works perfectly..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #18
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechicken View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

One needs only to take a few hours and read carefully, you'll find ALL the info that you need in that thread..

I did the conversion last week so I'll try to summarize it:

- fronts 370mm are plug and play, no brackets or whatsoever needed
- rears 345mm, you'll need e60 brake discs and excentric bushings for the calipers, grind the dust shield to fit the calipers, other than that no adapters/cutting needed..
- if you bleed it correctly you won't need the M3 master right away, the feel is not so dramatic as some are describing it, I will mount mine in the spring, no rush..
- same with the coding, if I hadn't read here I would never know that such a coding was even possible, but I will do that also someday..
- you won't be able to fit OEM 18" e9x wheels anymore, only F30 18"
- OEM 19" wheels will need a 10mm spacer on the rear

I also tried all possible combinations to make it work with the original calipers, EBC Groove Discs, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, stainless braided lines, Motul RBF oil.. I spent a little fortune and never got the result that I needed, the brake force "per se" was ok, but they would overheat and warp after 2 laps on the Ring..

Save some more money and do the F30 370/345mm upgrade and you won't be disappointed..
Will the e90 M3 18" rims work?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

As someone who has done brass guide bushings, they work.
I had them on both my E30 and E36 M3. They mostly keep the caliper from moving nd causing uneven pad wear.

I have the F30 full retrofit on my E90. I did the knuckle mod and caliper machining to make them fit. My full kit came with the performance rotors for the rear.

When I did the upgrade I went to stainless lines; even the ones that go over the rear subframe.

I also did the M3 master. Knowing that the multi piston brembos require more fluid per stroke than the stock can deliver, it helped with pedal feel.
With the M3 master and the F30 brakes my pedal is stiffer than it was with stock brakes.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50