E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HVAC Wiring Recall warning!!

11-03-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport

HVAC Wiring Recall warning!!

Took the car in for maintenance at McKenna BMW in Norwalk California. I hate taking my car in to the stealership as they always mess something up.. I want to like taking my car in but its like wishing each year that the Browns will win a superbowl.

As it was there, they tacked on the recall for the Hvac Wiring.. Cool.

Got the car back and my fans would turn on and off a few times over the course of a week. shorlty after, they quit all together. I smelled something burning but it was so inconsistent that i just assumed it was the car in front of me burning oil or your typical car/brush fire you see in SoCal. I Checked fuses, FSU, and fan. Called the dealer and all they told me is that it will be $180 to take a look at the car (even thought it was just there) decided that I didnt need their overpriced rate to look at my car and looked at the situation again myself. I found their wire job was a little sloppy. The recall only replaces the plastic connector and it is swpped in with some butt connector crimping sleeve. After crimping down on one of the wires my fans fired right up! i am going to redo this and make sure I dont have a loose connection issue like these cars had from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
e36ti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i sport

Good looking out wasn't aware of of a remedy yet I was notified when it was in for the airbag.... I'm going to wait longer to see if there is any more feedback from others
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post
Took the car in for maintenance at McKenna BMW in Norwalk California. I hate taking my car in to the stealership as they always mess something up.. I want to like taking my car in but its like wishing each year that the Browns will win a superbowl.

Got the car back and my fans would turn on and off a few times over the course of a week. shorlty after, they quit all together. I smelled something burning but it was so inconsistent that i just assumed it was the car in front of me burning oil or your typical car/brush fire you see in SoCal. I Checked fuses, FSU, and fan. Called the dealer and all they told me is that it will be $180 to take a look at the car (even thought it was just there) decided that I didnt need their overpriced rate to look at my car and looked at the situation again myself. I found their wire job was a little sloppy. The recall only replaces the plastic connector and it is swpped in with some butt connector crimping sleeve. After crimping down on one of the wires my fans fired right up! i am going to redo this and make sure I dont have a loose connection issue like these cars had from the factory.
You should document the wiring repair and contact BMWNA and the dealer. A less informed owner (i.e. 99% of the people who own our cars) would probably have ended up paying the dealer diag rate, not to mention that a botched wiring job might cause the very fire they're trying to prevent.

I hate taking my car into the dealer too; it only ever goes there for oil changes when they're running a special...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #4
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreu12qw View Post

You should document the wiring repair and contact BMWNA and the dealer. A less informed owner (i.e. 99% of the people who own our cars) would probably have ended up paying the dealer diag rate, not to mention that a botched wiring job might cause the very fire they're trying to prevent.

I hate taking my car into the dealer too; it only ever goes there for oil changes when they're running a special...

I should have taken more photos when taking the wiring apart. It was a pretty sloppy job considering all they were doing was stripping and connecting three wires.. I found this a great time to try out those new solder plus glue heat shrink tubes. They work great! With those plus an extra heat shrink cover over that I should be good to go.

Additionally is anyone is looking for a used but perfectly working fan and FSU, hit me up!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I just got my notice in the mail, scheduled to take it in on wednesday. I do all my own work, hate letting someone else wrench on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
I just got my notice in the mail, scheduled to take it in on wednesday. I do all my own work, hate letting someone else wrench on my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
Maybe see if they are willing to just give you the harness to install yourself?

I used these heat shrink tubes:
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...UuBAEgQgTYI-AQ

These are awesome!
Appreciate 0