E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Filter Gasket Housing Procedure Question

12-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
That means it was over tighten at some point.
So are you saying its okay to use an 8mm 12point ratcheting wrench on the bolt as long as it wasn't overtightened at some point? I used a 8mm 12 point ratcheting wrench when I did mine but only to re-install the bolt. I had a shit time sitting there with a hand wrench getting it off so I got one at Home Depot to speed up the reinstallation.

I believe I went into the repair thinking I could hit it with my e-torx sockets and a ratchet but then I realized the coolant hose was in the way. Dunno why/how I knew to use an 8mm wrench but either way I got the job done. Not saying it's the absolute best tool for the job, but it did work well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #24
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
So are you saying its okay to use an 8mm 12point ratcheting wrench on the bolt as long as it wasn't overtightened at some point? I used a 8mm 12 point ratcheting wrench when I did mine but only to re-install the bolt. I had a shit time sitting there with a hand wrench getting it off so I got one at Home Depot to speed up the reinstallation.

I believe I went into the repair thinking I could hit it with my e-torx sockets and a ratchet but then I realized the coolant hose was in the way. Dunno why/how I knew to use an 8mm wrench but either way I got the job done. Not saying it's the absolute best tool for the job, but it did work well.
Yes, spec says 15lbs torque I belive, which isn't alot.
Appreciate 1
Pladi717.00
      12-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #25
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post

The beauty of DIY is to use what you have effectively. When you open a TIS instruction it usually lists 20 "SPecial tools". You maybe need 1 of them.

I have all the inverse and E torx sockets. But the oil filter housing bolts have a very low torque. So you can use a 8mm without any issues.
Appreciate 0