E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Another day. Another gun. Another school.

03-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #507
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I need more training honestly been slacking a bit. Shoot drills about once a week with pistol but my outdoor range isn't open yet. I'm not very good I mostly shoot the walls and floors, no toes yet.
I haven't been in 9 months. I know this, because I haven't gone since my son was born.

I'm not very good either - I usually limp wrist it with my noodle arms and wind up shooting the baffles in the ceiling. So between us, we'd be a two man wrecking crew.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #508
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
The range by me has a ton of reactive targets and I like playing Horse with my buddies. If shooting trap there are several games you can play as well. So, if either of you fellas ever gets lost and ends up in Iowa...
Appreciate 1
Joekerr2686.00

03-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #509
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Rep
Drives: 2012 300C SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
The range by me has a ton of reactive targets and I like playing Horse with my buddies. If shooting trap there are several games you can play as well. So, if either of you fellas ever gets lost and ends up in Iowa...
Will do!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #510
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Anywhere near Wiota? May go see some family sometime this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #511
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
My secret is I try to hit something else then Im dead on the target. Never have shot trap guessing I'd suck. Did buy nice remington 1100 magnum to try on some ducks next season.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #512
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Anywhere near Wiota? May go see some family sometime this year.
About an hour away (I had to look up where that was!) but an easy hour drive just down Interstate 80. I am in Des Moines.

edit: And with a population of ~120 I am guessing you may get bored!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #513
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
About an hour away (I had to look up where that was!) but an easy hour drive just down Interstate 80. I am in Des Moines.

edit: And with a population of ~120 I am guessing you may get bored!
That count obviously doesn't include livestock
Appreciate 1
Zing418.50

03-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #514
paliknight
fuck this field
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 Base F80/18 ZCP F80/15 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
I'm not proposing to induce intentional hardship for the purpose of creating teaching opportunities. I'm proposing for parents to be more involved with their kids, to stop trying to shelter their kids, and focus more on teaching them to persevere through difficulties rather than prevent or avoid them. Help your kids build character.

People can agree or disagree, but facts are facts and ignoring them to your detriment only hurts those people in the end...

I'm willing to bet that a VERY VERY VERY large amount of problems this country faces and constantly tries to debate and solve through legislation, wouldn't even register as a problem if parents did a better job parenting... Just a theory
No I didn't mean deliberately induce it lol, but not deliberately avoid it either. If you prevent your son from having relationships, for example, how will he ever learn how to overcome heartbreak? And like you said, involvement. Kid gets bullied, talking to teachers and principals will only exacerbate it. At least it did when I was in school. Teach the kid self defense to learn how to defend himself and voila, no coming back with a weapon to kill students or no suicide. Since those are the most common options these days apparently.
      03-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #515
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
In conclusion, we shelter our kids too much. Generally speaking. I completely agree with your logical and rational thought process, but most of America won't since they'll consider it somewhat "barbaric!"
I'm not proposing to induce intentional hardship for the purpose of creating teaching opportunities. I'm proposing for parents to be more involved with their kids, to stop trying to shelter their kids, and focus more on teaching them to persevere through difficulties rather than prevent or avoid them. Help your kids build character.

People can agree or disagree, but facts are facts and ignoring them to your detriment only hurts those people in the end...

I'm willing to bet that a VERY VERY VERY large amount of problems this country faces and constantly tries to debate and solve through legislation, wouldn't even register as a problem if parents did a better job parenting... Just a theory
Actual, besides better parenting or less sheltering, I would say the issues has more to do with parents being in denial their kid has issues. I have been in number of situations where parents did not want people knowing their kids had issues and in some cases they would refuse to allow people who were in charge of their kids knowing about their kids issues. In one cases a kid tried poising another kid, and we confront the parents about it, the parents focused on justifying that is was not an issue with the kid and we needed to understand he did not realize what he had done.

We ended up tossing the kid out of the organization, but the parents threaten us if we attempted to report it to the broader organization, and the kid who was poising, the parents refused to file charges against the kid since their kid had issues and they seem to understand.

As we are seeing there are more and more of these kids with very serious issues in schools with our kids and the people in charge are just ignoring it and if you complain they tell you it is your issue.
Appreciate 1
FCobra942129.00