E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Bad News on the Recall Letter

11-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #67
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Good god, you essentially paid $500 for an e-mail and they managed to screw that up? Something tells me this is just an attempt to make cross-border car shopping more of a hassle. When I needed one from GM back in 2002 I simply called them and they then faxed me this letter in 15 min along with a CCd copy directly to the RIV! This was for free too!
      11-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #68
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

lol.... it seems that BMWCA's sure got a lot of angry customers on their hands.... can't be good for them can it?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #69
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmba View Post
Cool - let us know how we can help or answer import questions...it's pretty easy, outside of the damn $500!

Oh, and as an FYI, I still don't have my recall letter yet. My lovely 335i is sitting in my garage and I can't drive it (my trip permit has expired). I need to borrow my friend's dealer plates to get the inspection done when this stupid letter shows up.
Wait, still? Didn't you go in on the 7th?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #70
trickydisco
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I went for my inspection on the 8th.
I was told the email would arrive in 10 to 15 days...
Not much I can do but wait ....

Barrington
2006 330i sedan TiAg
1998 Porsche 911 C2S
1969 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #71
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (US)

Yep, I went in on the 7th - and was told a similar yarn as trickdisco...5-10 days. I ordinarily wouldn't mind, but now I'm getting bunched up with my wife's car going back next week and my licensing running out on the car.

This shouldn't dissuade anyone from doing the import, it is my own fault for attempting to bypass the recall letter. Had I done this in advance, I'd be all set.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #72
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I have my appointment with Mini Oakville tomorrow. $500 for the recall clearance letter. The only issue is the SA told me it's taking 10-15 business days for people to receive them (as you guys are finding out). Looks like it's going to be cutting the 20 day temp permit pretty damn close. :/
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #73
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

picus - is your permit a NYS permit? If it is, that permit expires as soon as you hit your driveway, and you need to get a 10-day permit from the MTO for your running around here in Ontario.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #74
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

So I've been doing a lot of research on this issue, and while my idea to sell then buy in the US is theoretically sound, practically it isn't the case. With the dollar like it is, the used car market absolutely blows from a sellers perspective. I would have been happy if I got $40-42k out of the car I paid $49.8k for 7 months ago, and while theoretically that number is accurate, it is going to be damn near impossible to find a buyer at that price. I even had my friends dad who manages a Honda dealership talk to his wholesalers and they won't even take it for $30k right now because they are getting stuck with inventory (high-end cars aren't moving right now). He is now talking to some BMW dealers about trading my car for a couple of Hondas they may have in stock, and he then gives me cash value on my car. Basically this is my only hope left at moving forward with my plan.

I also learned something intersting. BMW Dealers in Canada are hurting bad. I heard through the grapevine that Otto's BMW in Ottawa has pathetic salse figures for the last two weeks, we're talking SINGLE DIGITS! Maybe BMW will finally take notice once their pockets start hurting a little?
      11-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #75
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
I also learned something intersting. BMW Dealers in Canada are hurting bad. I heard through the grapevine that Otto's BMW in Ottawa has pathetic salse figures for the last two weeks, we're talking SINGLE DIGITS! Maybe BMW will finally take notice once their pockets start hurting a little?
that is good news... however, they will probably try to make it even harder to import from the states (despite threats of anticompetitive lawsuits) before they lower prices....

if the CAd stays close to par for the next 6 months or so - which it probably will - even if BMWCA can maintain the artificial price floor for the new market, they will not be able to do the same for the used market ... and when the prices in the used market plummet, the prices for new will be under immense pressure, leaving them with no choice but to lower prices...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #76
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
picus - is your permit a NYS permit? If it is, that permit expires as soon as you hit your driveway, and you need to get a 10-day permit from the MTO for your running around here in Ontario.
New Jersey. I wonder if I still need the MTO permit. Is there a way to find out? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #77
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
New Jersey. I wonder if I still need the MTO permit. Is there a way to find out? Thanks.

Who's going to enforce it anyway?.....
I'd be tempted to just run with it until you get your plates.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #78
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifufu View Post
that is good news... however, they will probably try to make it even harder to import from the states (despite threats of anticompetitive lawsuits) before they lower prices....

if the CAd stays close to par for the next 6 months or so - which it probably will - even if BMWCA can maintain the artificial price floor for the new market, they will not be able to do the same for the used market ... and when the prices in the used market plummet, the prices for new will be under immense pressure, leaving them with no choice but to lower prices...
I've been poking around a bit...
& in the US market, the big savings are in the newer, < 3yrs old cars.
when you get into 3 & 4 yr old cars there really isn't much savings differential.
Generally the newer & more expensive the car the greater the savings.
So depending on the age of the used car I don't think you'll see the azz drop out of the market.

... & Kevin, if we don't see a pic...... it never happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #79
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

Ya, I was thinking the same thing.

[IMG]http://****************/coop.jpg[/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #80
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post

I drove around Ontario for 17 days with NY trip permit without any problem. The permit listed one trip from the dealer to my home, but it also says that it is good for 30 days. But getting an On. trip permit should be no problem, but it is good for only 15 days and can not be renewed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #81
trickydisco
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

nice find Kevin!

Barrington
2006 330i sedan TiAg
1998 Porsche 911 C2S
1969 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #82
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
I drove around Ontario for 17 days with NY trip permit without any problem. The permit listed one trip from the dealer to my home, but it also says that it is good for 30 days. But getting an On. trip permit should be no problem, but it is good for only 15 days and can not be renewed.
Trip permits are only good for 10 days in Ontario (I had to find this out the hard way unfortunately, as mine has expired)

It is possible that your NY permit *might* pass if you're pulled over, but the definition of that permit is an "in transit" permit, meaning it covers you from point A to point B...not A to B, then C, D, F and back to B. Keep in mind that cops and everyone else are getting a lot more up to speed on these rules now that the importing is becoming so common.

Driving without plates carries a STEEP fine, and if I'm not mistaken, they could potentially impound the vehicle.

I personally wouldn't be caught dead on the road without a valid permit - it's only $15 from the MTO office. It may have insurance liability implications also - i.e. if you get into an accident while driving around with plates that aren't legal - are you covered?

My two cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #83
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post

[IMG]http://****************/coop.jpg[/IMG]
Sweet ride!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #84
Slke46
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 Sedan

wow that is sweet... Maybe I should get one of those too, especially with the way the market is now.
      11-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #85
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I personally wouldn't be caught dead on the road without a valid permit - it's only $15 from the MTO office. It may have insurance liability implications also - i.e. if you get into an accident while driving around with plates that aren't legal - are you covered?

My two cents.
Is there a limit on the MTO temps?
Can you just keep getting another?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #86
electricmba
Importer / Exporter
Canada
Rep

Only 10 days I'm afraid. I think if you're in a real bind they might make an exception and give you another day or two, but they definitely want to set an expectation that you can't just continually renew a temp permit over and over and avoid ever licensing your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #87
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

The current hot thread for Canadians Importing is here...

It's ballooned to well over one million views and approaching 10,000 posts, and is full of the experience of many folks who have imported over the summer and into the fall up to now. I found it very useful when I imported a new 2008 loaded up Subaru last month for my wife, and ended up with well over 12,000 savings On the Road. The US warranty is much better than the Canadian one, and it also falls under washington state Lemon Law.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #88
kipawariver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 MT, ‘17 F15 35d M

Quote:
Trip permits are only good for 10 days in Ontario (I had to find this out the hard way unfortunately, as mine has expired)

It is possible that your NY permit *might* pass if you're pulled over, but the definition of that permit is an "in transit" permit, meaning it covers you from point A to point B...not A to B, then C, D, F and back to B. Keep in mind that cops and everyone else are getting a lot more up to speed on these rules now that the importing is becoming so common.

Driving without plates carries a STEEP fine, and if I'm not mistaken, they could potentially impound the vehicle.

My two cents.
Bought my 335i in Austin Texas on the 26th of October. I got a 20 day temporary permit from the dealer. I checked with all the DOT's on my route back to see if they would honour my plate (didn't want to get pulled over by a State trooper and not be able to explain myself). Checked with Ontario DOT and the plates are valid here as long as they are valid there. The only issue I had was insurance once I got back but that is resolved now. BTW I got the "Vehicle Warranty " printout stamped by the dealer and RIV accepted it. No $500 to BMW Canada. Now fully licenced, insured and driving legally here in Ontario. I even got a super deal in Michigan on my way back on a set of Nokian Hak5's and had them studded here in Northern Ontario. All in all a saving of at least $10 grand and probably $14. The misinformation out there is rampant and if you spend a little time doing your research it is pretty painless. Bought a Caddy SRX last year for the wife and had the same experience.
Appreciate 0