E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding Bilaterally Exchangable Part

10-07-2022, 04:41 AM   #1
delimeat52
Rep
Drives: '09 E91 328i, '91 NA Miata

Coding Bilaterally Exchangable Part

Hello All,

I recently picked up an E91. Lots of radio issues, but long story short, HiFi system with bad MULF2, failing RAD, amp missing a couple channels, and underseat woofers blown. Car has 87k, so someone was really tough on the audio system. Rest of the car is in good shape. I think someone has been in there before trying to fix it, but didn't know where to start - conspicuously missing fasteners and such.

Looked online at RealOEM and there were bilaterally exchangable part numbers meaning they should be compatible, or so that is my understanding. I purchased a newer, bilaterally exchangable model for the RAD off of eBay. Same MULF2 as prior model. The radio fires up and the clicking noise issues I had due to the failed MULF2 are gone, but it does not have the correct options enabled for the car.

New to coding. I cannot, for the life of me despite how much I have read, figure out how I'm supposed to flash these with WinKFP because my ZUSB cannot be found for some things and, for the radio, it comes up and flashes (I think), but then I get unknown function errors in NCS Dummy and cannot change options. I think I need to reset the configuration to default in the radio, but I'm screwing that up somehow.

The RAD that was failing: 6512 9199389-01
The replacement RAD: 6512 9302163-01
The MULF2 that died and the replacement: 8410 9200822-01

Additionally VINs are not set proper on my ISPB and MASK/CCC modules. Radio just shows ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ for VIN, but so do MOSTGW, MRS, and FRM. Not sure if that is normal... VIN on the ISPB being wrong tells me swapped part without coding and likely confirms my theory someone has been in there.

Current ZUSB are as follows:
RAD: 9274604
ISPB (MULF2): 9229740
MOSTGW: 9302174
MASK/CCC: 9302162

I think these are everything I need to update for the radio. Don't see anything in my INPA module pull that indicates the MULF. Maybe that doesn't show because the radio isn't right yet?

I can find ZUSB for the radio in WinKFP comfort mode and think I flashed it. As said before issues after pulling configuration in NCS Expert and then pulling over to NCS Dummy. Datum updates run in BMW Coding Tool before doing any of that.

I've tried finding the MOSTGW and MASK/CCC in WinKFP comfort mode and... nothing. I have been able to find them in a plain text search in the .HIS files in the WinKFP DATA folder, though. Haven't even tried the ISPB yet since I'm getting everything else wrong.

I've tried both SP-Daten v60 and v67. Attempting to flash using K+DCAN cable. Build month is 08/08, so first month no bridge on pins 7 & 8 if I understand correct.

My main questions at this point:
- Am I supposed to flash a different firmware manually to the MOSTGW and MASK/CCC since these modules likely came out of a different model and have ZUSB that do not show in E89 datum? Cannot even read them in NCS expert as it says bad coding which makes me think they came from another model.
- After flashing the radio what the heck am I supposed to do to clear it to default? Or should it happen when I flash it? Directions I've found vary and confuse me. I've watched more than a couple YouTube videos at this point and followed along. NCS Expert usually gives me hell doing what they prescribe.
- Is doing this with WinKFP and a K+DCAN cable the right way or am I spinning my wheels?
- Do I actually need older SP-Daten, not newer?
- Should I have a VIN on any of the modules with missing VIN?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

And Idrive is not a Rad
Rad it the pro ratio without Nav or Idrive.
If you have a CCC you have to update multiple files that are not named Rad.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802793
confusion on the above entry was between Pro Radio and Idrive.

Go to entry 13
these are the CCC files

CHOST
CAPPL
CGATE
CAUDI
CTUNE

some say an Icom cable is needed for coding Most Bus modules.
(on anything but a 06 others say not )

Last edited by ctuna; 10-07-2022 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
delimeat52
Rep

My apologies in using incorrect nomenclature. INPA reports the name as MASK/CCC, but an additional column in the F2/Ident function shiws it as a RAD2. It is a BMW Professional head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
delimeat52
Rep

OK... Negative progress. Radio flashed and no longer shows in the INPA UIF list. How bad is that? Unit still powers up just fine and INPA can control it when I select Communication System -> Radio/Headunit. If I try to flash again I get a nom-response error from WinKFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 04:10 AM   #5
delimeat52
Rep

Lots of self-posting, I know. But this is me learning out loud as I try things. Maybe it will help someone else someday.

I managed to do a ZB update on the MOSTGW and the MASK/CCC. Found out I needed to do "F3/Update ECU" instead od "F1/Identify ECU family" in WinKFP. That worked the trick. Also reprogrammed the UIF, which is the VIN so now the modules are associated with my car. Those were successful after I started the flash with the vehicle running. Of course, the car stalled out mid-flash as anticipated, but I kept the battery tended with an external generator (NA Mazda Miata ). These two now reflect the correct ZB number for the chassis and an updated software date.

My challenge now is with the RADIO and ISPB modules.

The ISPB flash fails every time. The part number is the same as originally in the car. Like the other parts, the flash starts, but once the car stalls out and programming commences, the flash fails near immediately. I tried a couple times and the last time after failure the car threw all of the error codes under the sun. INPA would let me clear them, but they came back immediately. KOMBI went out and I had no speedo or tach . Thought I had bricked the car. Fortunately, after a hard ECU shutdown everything reset. I was sweating for a few minutes, though.

The RADIO, which should be a RAD2U I believe based on it being a BMW professional radio, is still readable and I can use the activate functions in INPA. The radio turns on and music comes from the speakers. It is, however, no longer in my module list when I pull info or UIF in INPA. It was on address 54 and now it's just not there . Attempting to write the radio software with WinKFP results in an error stating the gateway is good, but the module is not responding. I still cannot read the radio from NCS Expert as that throws an error. Weird how some things can interact with it and others cannot - even in the same software.

I can live without the updated ISPB maybe... Cannot live without the radio working, especially since flashing MOSTGW and MASK/CCC defaulted all settings. No longer have AUX in access, which comes from the ISPB, but the software there is good. I had access to AUX in before updating MOSTGW and MASK/CCC.

Anyone know how to "find" a module that is only responding in some manners and reflash it? What does it mean when it's not showing in the module list in INPA anymore? Do I need to do some kind of voodoo magic in Tool32?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 03:12 AM   #6
delimeat52
Rep

So.... No responses, but I did seem to figure out that the radio is now on UIF 52 by digging around in INPA some more. How do I flash something manually to that UIF?
Appreciate 0