E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > :( Got pulled over today

11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Here is what it says on the DMV website:...
You are reading the wrong part. The part you quoted with "35%" number is about "sun screening devices", which is actually temporary removable "shades", like the ones with suction cups they sell for rear side windows for people carrying small children in their rear seats. It is not about the tint at all.

The part of Vehicle Code that actually applies to you is this

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Quote:
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
Note also, that this (d) part allows you to use tint with 70% VLT in the front side windows regardless of whether you have a document from a licensed physician. (Physician document is only required if you want to go less than 70% VLT).

Note also that the 70% is the total combined VLT of your window glass (with factory tint) and the tint film. You cannot use 70% VLT tint film by itself, since combined with your factory glass tint it will give you less than 70% VLT, which is a violation. In fact, the law above explicitly states that the film itself should have no less than 88% VLT.

Note also that corrupt CA cops have been routinely lying to the motorists on the road about legality of 70% VLT tint. The law allowing 70% VLT tint in CA was signed in 1999. Before 1999 any kind of aftermarket tint was completely illegal. However, to this day the cops have been routinely citing motorists with any sort of aftermarket tint on their windows, regardless of the VLT, as if it is still 1995. The cops continue to falsely claim that any sort of aftermarket tint is illegal. Corrupt judges usually support the cops in such cases, forcing people to pay the fine. You have to treat it as a semi-legal tax on the window tint. It just how things work in this country.

For example, on this page of California Highway Patrol web site

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

they have the audacity to openly claim that "The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting". In the later sentences they make a shy remark with a reference to a corrected law "However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999...". But one still has to wonder what is the purpose of the false initial "cannot receive" statement. Once one starts driving in CA, one quickly understands its purpose.

Note also that the law requires you to carry a certificate from the installer and/or manufacturer, confirming the legality of the installed tint. I'm not aware of any installers that issue such certificates. This little detail can be (and in some cases is) easily exploited by a corrupt cop+judge gang in order to force you to pay the fine, regardless of the VLT ratio of your tint.

Basically, when driving in CA, forget about the law or any rights you think you have. Remember that you will be forced to pay the "tint tax" regardless of VLT of your tint. The darker the tint, the more often you will get pulled over to pay the tax. Get used to it.

Last edited by AndreyT; 11-14-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

What happens if you just don't "fix" it? Is there a fine you can just pay and be done with it?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

This all seems like a big hassle to skirt around the law. I'm no Johnny Gotta-Obey-Every-Law, but seems like dark tint is driving around looking for trouble.

What's the reason for seeking real dark tints, well beyond the legal limit? How many degrees cooler is the interior than with legal tint levels?

(or is it just so folks can pick their nose in traffic? )
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
This all seems like a big hassle to skirt around the law. I'm no Johnny Gotta-Obey-Every-Law, but seems like dark tint is driving around looking for trouble.

What's the reason for seeking real dark tints, well beyond the legal limit? How many degrees cooler is the interior than with legal tint levels?

(or is it just so folks can pick their nose in traffic? )
2 reasons for me: I like the way it looks and the increased privacy.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Yeah, in Cali., the CHPs are pretty tough on tints. Agree with the above poster who said....absolutely no aftermarket tint allowed on front side windows or front windshield, period (unless you qualify under some very rare medical conditions).

For most of us that still tint our windows, make sure everything else is legit....registration sticker, front license plate on, nonfuctional taillights fixated, etc.. Don't give cops any reason to pull you over.

Personally, I've gotten pulled over two times when I had my e92 with 20% tint all around. On my e90, I decided to go with 35% all around. Just tired of constantly worrying about tint. With 35% tint, it's pretty easy for people to see me during the daytime. At night, I often drive with my windows down.

Here's a picture of my ceramic tint 35% all around in case someone wanted to know what 35% looks like....

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I was on my way to work in the 818 area and noticed a cop behind me in the next lane over, I immediately opened my sun roof to let some light in the car so the tinted windows don't seem so dark since they're illegal in CA but it was sunset so it didn't help, also didn't want to roll them down because that would seem way to suspicious and he would have probably pulled me over to check them out. He pulls up behind me and turns his lights on and I roll the front windows down hopefully he doesn't notice.
So I get pulled over right across the street from work. Said my tags were expired I told him I just barely got my smog so they're still in the process of mailing my tags, first of all I don't see why he pulled me over for it because it's still November and don't I have til the end of the month to renew my tags? He then comes back with a fix it ticket also below that he wrote me up for my tinted windows they were rolled down and he didn't even check with the tint measure to see if they were illegal (legal limit is 35% in CA) or not. I didn't get a ticket, just a fix-it for my registration and a warning for my windows. And until December 28 to address the problems.

So I was wondering, what does the warning mean? Does it mean that I'm in the system and next time I get pulled over I'll get a ticket for the windows? Everywhere says the limit is 35% but he didn't bother to check..is this wrong? Also is there a way around it? Can I get a doctors note saying that I need tinted windows because my skin is sensitive to skin cancer? (kind of is, I'm fairly white and get lots of sun spots)
On the DMV website it says you need a surgeon or some type of doctors note which I can get, but is that all? It says that the tint/shade needs to be removed at night. Can I just tell them I'll roll the windows down at night? What does the warning mean
I was honestly considering going to the inspection office and during the day light, open the sun roof to let as much light shine in, turn on the interior lights, and tell them that this is 35% tint IF ALL ELSE FAILS..

Here is what it says on the DMV website:

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle’s front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

help guys, thank you. - Michael
I don't understand the point of these threads...

At least your 35% understanding was cleared up with the correct DMV code.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
What happens if you just don't "fix" it? Is there a fine you can just pay and be done with it?

Cheers!
Over here in California it's only $25 just for a fixing ticket but if you don't correct your violation from a fixing ticket you'll have to pay $325 for not paying then pay for $XXX amount of your violation and appear in court. Failure to appear in court is another $325 or more.

So either get it fixed and pay $25 or cough up almost $1,000, which would you rather have?
      11-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:

Cheers!
Here, if you don't "fix it", your vehicle can be towed and impounded... most officers here will also give a written warning with 24 hours to comply to have the tint removed... once it's off, report to the issuing Detachment / Station and an officer verifies the tint is removed, if it is - warning is done, else it's a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
What's the reason for seeking real dark tints, well beyond the legal limit?
Because he is a want to be GANGSTA
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ah, ok. I didn't know what would happen if you just wanted to pay to play. Tint laws are just another useless government over-regulation.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy

Cheers!
In calif I had a ticket for tint years ago and was given the option to pay like 70$ or something like that as the bail amount and leave my tint on.

2 months ago I got a ticket but for a different car and the notice didn't say anything about the option to pay a fine more than $25 and leave it on. Can someone clarify this?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #34
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Tint laws are just another useless government over-regulation.
Not that I'm a fan of gov't regulations, but for sake of discussion: if you were a cop approaching a car you'd pulled over, would you like to be able to see inside before the driver is able to shoot you in the face at point-blank range?

Some interesting reading over on forums.officer.com -- I'm not a cop, but my right foot can get heavy and I like to sometimes see what the folks with the ticket books are talking about.

One interesting discussion surrounded the use of checking the tint level of every window as an opportunity to do a "in plain sight" search of the vehicle interior. Further emphasizing that anyone wanting to run dark tint would do well to ensure everything is in order at all times, as they're inviting scrutiny.

Unfortunately, excercising one's right to privacy is often seen as evidence that one has something to hide.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Without taking a reading, how can the officer give a ticket like that?

"It's dark out, your car is dark, your interior is dark, you obviously have window ticket, here's a ticket, have a nice day!"
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #36
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Alright guys I just went to the General Traffic building or w.e in the court place lol not sure what it was but he said it was just a WARNING meaning there's no violation just a warning like be careful for the next officer who pulls you over. Anyways, thought it over and the best thing I can do to keep the tint on is roll down the windows anytime I see a cop, present a doctors note and hopefully he buys it, and get a radio scanner just incase I don't see a cop who's near. As for the registration I have until December 28th to fix and have to pay a fine of $25 which I don't understand, I thought I have until the end of NOV to renew my tags to 2013. Best way to avoid a ticket for you windows is to watch out for police and roll your windows down.
JUST ONE MORE QUESTION...lol when you get a warning..are you in the system? Meaning next time I get pulled over it will show up that I've gotten a warning for my windows?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #37
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Anyways today was a weird day on my way back from the court building...saw Jay Leno driving a white convertible Mini Cooper on Van Nuys....positive it was him..big face, huge chin, tall white hair.. And at a red light an alright hot girl (scale 1-10 I'd give her a 5.5..had a nice back derrr) was crossing the street all hot-like, looked at the black dude in the next car over, Dodge Charger, he was staring too lol he looked over my way and we both gave each other the face

...and then saw like 5 more cops on the same street it's their hunting season guys. Not a bad day.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #38
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Ah, ok. I didn't know what would happen if you just wanted to pay to play. Tint laws are just another useless government over-regulation.

Cheers!
Actually, it's for Police Officer safety when conducting vehicle stops / checks...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

So glad I live in a free state.

Kommifornia....lol

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

"Police officer safety" is an urban legend, propagated by police officers too.

If it really were about police officer safety, the rear window tint would be regulated as well. Even more so. Meanwhile, the law says that you are free to board up your rear window with a piece of ply, as long as you have side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
"Police officer safety" is an urban legend, propagated by police officers too.

If it really were about police officer safety, the rear window tint would be regulated as well. Even more so. Meanwhile, the law says that you are free to board up your rear window with a piece of ply, as long as you have side mirrors.
I have relatives that are cops in CA. It is for their safety and if they could dictate the law there would be absolutely no tint on cars. Try pulling over a low rider or buick on 22's at 2 am with all the windows tinted...you'll understand.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I have relatives that are cops in CA. It is for their safety and if they could dictate the law there would be absolutely no tint on cars. Try pulling over a low rider or buick on 22's at 2 am with all the windows tinted...you'll understand.
Be happy the police don't get to "dictate the law". They already have too much influence in that regard anyway. Sorry, but legislating against the majority law-abiding population due to the actions of the criminal minority is a step towards a police state. Hey, I know, why don't we put everyone in jail, you know... just in case. It would certainly make the police's jobs easier and safer...

And for the record, I'm NOT anti-police. My sister is a cop, and I want them to be safe, but too many laws are passed that infringe the rights of the majority and do little to nothing to prevent crime. Think: VAST majority of "gun laws".

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #43
jrsniper12453
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Speaking of window tints in CA; can cops have them? I saw a dodge charger which took a double take to recognize as a police car with tint far too dark to see anything inside. It was all black, including the rims, and said "POLICE" on the back also in black so you could only see it if the sun hit it right.

His disguise was so good I watched a car speed by him at 85ish, then another cross into a carpool lane right in front of him when they were solid lines. He of course was too busy tailgating someone and then blasting off at 90 to do anything about either.
      11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Be happy the police don't get to "dictate the law". They already have too much influence in that regard anyway. Sorry, but legislating against the majority law-abiding population due to the actions of the criminal minority is a step towards a police state. Hey, I know, why don't we put everyone in jail, you know... just in case. It would certainly make the police's jobs easier and safer...

And for the record, I'm NOT anti-police. My sister is a cop, and I want them to be safe, but too many laws are passed that infringe the rights of the majority and do little to nothing to prevent crime. Think: VAST majority of "gun laws".

Cheers!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsniper12453 View Post
Speaking of window tints in CA; can cops have them? I saw a dodge charger which took a double take to recognize as a police car with tint far too dark to see anything inside. It was all black, including the rims, and said "POLICE" on the back also in black so you could only see it if the sun hit it right.

His disguise was so good I watched a car speed by him at 85ish, then another cross into a carpool lane right in front of him when they were solid lines. He of course was too busy tailgating someone and then blasting off at 90 to do anything about either.
The police are above the law, didn't you know? You can't even sue them for what they do off-duty.
Appreciate 0