E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help Me Solve My IHKA Issue

10-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
azw131
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive M Sport Coupe

Help Me Solve My IHKA Issue

I installed the AVIN replacement CIC unit this week, and the next day I notice my HVAC (IHKA panel) is not working properly. I have no idea if this is related to the AVIN, an issue with the way I put everything back together, or unrelated altogether.

The situation: Fan is very weak on all speeds, though does go up slightly as it should/go down slightly when using the fan up and down buttons. The temperature controls have no bearing whatsoever on the temperature and it blows very hot air no matter the adjustment. The temp display and buttons all appear illuminated and appear to function as they should.

I pulled the codes and the car is showing: 3BCC: No Message (heat flow/load torque climate, 0x1B5), receiver DME, transmitter IHKA

If I understand this correctly, that means the IHKA is not talking to the DME as it should which is why the HVAC isn't able to controlled properly. That leads me to think it has to be either the wire harness to the IHKA, the IHKA itself, or the fuses.

I checked the AC fuses and all of them appear fine(06, 77, and 88). I'm not sure if there are any other fuses related to the IHKA. I also unplugged and replugged in all the wires to the IHKA. Everything seems fine but maybe I should reinspect the pin outs. Lastly, I checked the wire that runs to the rear center console vent as well as the wire that goes to the center dash vent and they are all plugged in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
      10-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by azw131 View Post
I installed the AVIN replacement CIC unit this week, and the next day I notice my HVAC (IHKA panel) is not working properly. I have no idea if this is related to the AVIN, an issue with the way I put everything back together, or unrelated altogether.

The situation: Fan is very weak on all speeds, though does go up slightly as it should/go down slightly when using the fan up and down buttons. The temperature controls have no bearing whatsoever on the temperature and it blows very hot air no matter the adjustment. The temp display and buttons all appear illuminated and appear to function as they should.

I pulled the codes and the car is showing: 3BCC: No Message (heat flow/load torque climate, 0x1B5), receiver DME, transmitter IHKA

If I understand this correctly, that means the IHKA is not talking to the DME as it should which is why the HVAC isn't able to controlled properly. That leads me to think it has to be either the wire harness to the IHKA, the IHKA itself, or the fuses.

I checked the AC fuses and all of them appear fine(06, 77, and 88). I'm not sure if there are any other fuses related to the IHKA. I also unplugged and replugged in all the wires to the IHKA. Everything seems fine but maybe I should reinspect the pin outs. Lastly, I checked the wire that runs to the rear center console vent as well as the wire that goes to the center dash vent and they are all plugged in.

Are the connectors plugged in correctly?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
azw131
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azw131 View Post

Are the connectors plugged in correctly?
Yes they are, I just checked them again. I'm starting to think maybe it is something mechanical and that code was generated from when I had unplugged the dash. I cleared the codes after reading them and I'm waiting to see if it comes back. If it's not that, it could be the final stage resistor although typically with that there's no fan at all I believe
      10-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
azw131
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In an entirely unexpected turn of events, everything seems to have mysteriously fixed itself. I turned the car on this morning and everything is working perfectly. Not going to question it, I’m very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 07:56 PM   #5
cmarshall
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

So i just had this exact issue happen to me. put in a new CIC retrofit box, and it’s giving me the 3BCC code. nothing seems wrong. just cleared the code. Did this issue stay resolved?
Appreciate 0