E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke issue, only when hot and after sitting

06-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
GrantB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i

Smoke issue, only when hot and after sitting

Hey everyone, first post here. Now before blaming me for not 'ing, I have read so many posts related to smoking issues and have not found one that is really similar to my situation.

The car is a 2007 E92 335i 6MT, I bought it about a month and a half ago. So far I've replaced the DCI's with new filters, done an oil change, coolant flush (prev. owner states he replaced the OFHG, I do not believe him/or he didn't do it right as the bolts look original and I found a white type sludge on the coolant resevoir cap before flushing, and a few thousand miles after), and replaced all 6 coils and plugs with Delphi coils and Bosch plugs. Car has catless downpipes.

My valve cover/VCG leaks and needs to be replaced as my number 3 spark plug tube was filled with oil and killed a coil, as well as a burning oil smell in the cabin and engine bay from oil dripping onto the exhaust. I wanted to ask and see if the valve cover/PCV system could be related to the exhaust smoke issue I'm having, or if this is a completely separate issue. I believe my OFHG also has a slight internal leak because I had the coolant flushed and a few thousand miles later found that white milky material on the cap from oil mixing with coolant. Previous owner stated he replaced it but the bolts look original.

I have no smoke at all on cold starts or when driving. The car runs fantastic except for a little stumbling on cold starts which could be due to oil getting back into the spark plug tube or possibly an injector starting to go, I'm not sure. The issue I'm having is when the car is hot after a drive and has been sitting for 30 minutes to an hour or so, I sometimes experience plumes of white smoke that lasts about 30 seconds to a minute and starts to lighten up over time. After 30 seconds of driving the smoke is gone completely. The smoke also seems to be more or less thick depending on if the car is parked on an angle or not. When the car is on flat ground it seems to be less, almost none at times.

My question is, can the valve cover/PCV system cause this issue? And if so, how is oil getting into the motor and coming out of the exhaust? Can oil get past the injectors? The turbos were "rebuilt" about 40k miles ago by a reputable shop by the previous owner, and I do not think it is valve stem seals or the smoke would be consistent when driving correct?

Any help is much appreciated! Even the dealer was at a loss and I do not want to throw money at them to help me diagnose this issue.

Last edited by GrantB; 06-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Added more relevant information.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
mang.vang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i m sport

Following
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
GrantB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mang.vang View Post
Following
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Plumes of white smoke that last a couple of minutes could be from leaky injectors. Admittedly,it would be most common to see this from a cold start.

Examine the assumption that the white smoke is from oil - does it smell like oil? Examine the plugs - are they oil fouled or wet with fuel?

Probably best to first deal with the problems that you know exist i.e. valve cover and possibly OHFG. Should make it easier to trace other issues

Last edited by dpaul; 06-02-2018 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrantB3.50
      06-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #5
mattgu40
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 35i E92 N54

One thing i found in my quest to stop the smoking.

when the car was starting to warm up and i was heading toward a stop sign and slowing down Huge plum of white smoke appeared (all 4 cat gone.)

after drilling small holes at the lowest point of my mufflers i have found that both of them had about a 1/2 gal of water sitting at the bottom from condensation.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Water from condensation always accumulates in the muffler, particularly if you mostly use the vehicle for short trips. That's not pathological.

While smoke on deceleration often correlated with turbo oil seal failure
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Fix the stuff that you know needs fixed (ie. valve cover, valve cover gasket, injectors, etc); and then revisit. Poor PCV setups can actually cause crankcase pressure build up, poor oil draining, oil pushing passed seals, build up of oil on turbines thus degrading turbos, etc. So even if it is the turbos, you want all of that other stuff done right before refurbishing them. You also may want to make note of your oil consumption rate, this will give you an idea of how dire the scenario.

On the turbo rebuild scenario not all shops are equal. Nor all are today what they may have been "yesterday" either, so you may want to reach out to whoever that maybe for support on what they may had done to the turbos in question- in short sometimes there is some additional support to be found there.

Rob
Appreciate 1
GrantB3.50
      06-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
GrantB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Plumes of white smoke that last a couple of minutes could be from leaky injectors. Admittedly,it would be most common to see this from a cold start.

Examine the assumption that the white smoke is from oil - does it smell like oil? Examine the plugs - are they oil fouled or wet with fuel?

Probably best to first deal with the problems that you know exist i.e. valve cover and possibly OHFG. Should make it easier to trace other issues
That's true, the smoke doesn't really have a super strong smell which is weird, but it does have a hint of oil smell. I'll try to get a better smell next time it happens. I'm going to be putting it away in the garage shortly to start working on it and replacing the valve cover and OFHG and I'll go from there. Appreciate the response. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
GrantB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Water from condensation always accumulates in the muffler, particularly if you mostly use the vehicle for short trips. That's not pathological.

While smoke on deceleration often correlated with turbo oil seal failure
Yeah, I rarely drive my car on short trips as my commute is around 25 miles. No white smoke on decel. Just warm starts after sitting.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
GrantB
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Fix the stuff that you know needs fixed (ie. valve cover, valve cover gasket, injectors, etc); and then revisit. Poor PCV setups can actually cause crankcase pressure build up, poor oil draining, oil pushing passed seals, build up of oil on turbines thus degrading turbos, etc. So even if it is the turbos, you want all of that other stuff done right before refurbishing them. You also may want to make note of your oil consumption rate, this will give you an idea of how dire the scenario.

On the turbo rebuild scenario not all shops are equal. Nor all are today what they may have been "yesterday" either, so you may want to reach out to whoever that maybe for support on what they may had done to the turbos in question- in short sometimes there is some additional support to be found there.

Rob
That's what I'm planning to do first, will just make it much easier to troubleshoot from there once I can eliminate those items as the problem if they don't end up resolving it. That's a little unsettling how many issues the PCV system can cause. I've had my eyes on your upgraded PCV valve for a while, will end up doing that along with the new valve cover for sure here in the next week or two. I am keeping an eye on oil consumption, over the past 3k miles or so I've added a quart but I think the consumption was a little under that. It's going somewhere it shouldn't be.

You are absolutely correct. This was just an indy shop in Philly, I'm not even sure what they did when they "rebuilt" them. Who knows. Might try giving them a call as I have the receipt. The wastegates already rattle at light throttle but I'm able to mask it with the tune. Maybe if the turbos really end up being bad I'll have all the more reason to order a set from you

Thanks Rob, much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #11
badboy335i
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335i

mines doing this its pecking my head long drive from cold no overheating oil or water ..no coolant loss after leaving the car after a good drive an hour restart it plumes of white smoke lasting a 5 or 6 revs then gone ...realy strange my oil housing gasket and the little pipe next to it done valve cover gasket done with upgrade pcv valve ( not rob beck.. ftw. i think proper pita turbos seem ok and done about 10k mile ago i know there is a posible seal leaking on the outside of the turbo cleaned for now as that could be the valve cover ..no siren noise from turbos or rattles
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
Padinjath
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i n54 2006

Helpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy335i View Post
mines doing this its pecking my head long drive from cold no overheating oil or water ..no coolant loss after leaving the car after a good drive an hour restart it plumes of white smoke lasting a 5 or 6 revs then gone ...realy strange my oil housing gasket and the little pipe next to it done valve cover gasket done with upgrade pcv valve ( not rob beck.. ftw. i think proper pita turbos seem ok and done about 10k mile ago i know there is a posible seal leaking on the outside of the turbo cleaned for now as that could be the valve cover ..no siren noise from turbos or rattles
Same issue here , How have u fixed it plssss.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Catless DP are known to smoke especially if you remove all cats. The condensation turns to steam and is pushed out.
But it wouldn't hurt to fix all those things Rob mentioned. I'm primary catless with Robs PCV valve and an OCC and I still smoke. Smells a little bit like burnt fuel (3 of 6 inj. are I-9, other 3 are 12)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Andymyers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i n54

Hi, I have the exact same issues as described in this post.💨💨🙄 Did anyone get to the bottom of what was causing it?
Valve cover and gasket done, index 12, new rb pcv, car runs spot on no issues just this occasional embarrassing plums,
It's got decat down pipes running stage 2+
Thanks 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymyers View Post
Hi, I have the exact same issues as described in this post.💨💨🙄 Did anyone get to the bottom of what was causing it?
Valve cover and gasket done, index 12, new rb pcv, car runs spot on no issues just this occasional embarrassing plums,
It's got decat down pipes running stage 2+
Thanks 👍
If it's on decel than leaking turbo seals
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #16
Andymyers
Registered
Rep

No not really just on tick over but only does it for like 1-2min after warm start then nothing and nothing from cold start ����*♂️
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
Andymyers
Registered
Rep

None from cold start
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:35 PM   #18
vanjiggy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Following
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #19
nate54
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 bmw 335i e92

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
im having the same issue with my car has any body figured out the problem? ive changed my valve cover gasket and pcv valve.Im running catless dp's, no muffler and mhd stage 2
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #20
E92fanboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I had this same problem for about a year. For me it turned out to be the heat shield above the turbos and right below the boost solenoid. Oil from previously fixed leaks can get trapped with dirt inside the pockets of the heat shield. So it takes a minute for the oil mixed with dirt to heat up and then splash on hot parts. I took mine off and gave it thorough cleaning and have not had the issue since. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0