E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2007 335i N54 coupe - Code 2A82 stumbling when idling and cutting out

03-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Adamf9780
Rep
Drives: E93 n54 335i

2007 335i N54 coupe - Code 2A82 stumbling when idling and cutting out

Will be very grateful for any advice anyone can give me regarding this.

I'm coming to the end of my patience with my car. A few months ago I had an abundance of codes (over 12). I've managed to solve 11 of these and now i'm left with one, which is causing the most problems.
I've replaced valve cover, oil filter housing gasket, oil filter, 6 injectors, 6 spark plugs, 6 coil packs and replaced all vacuum lines.

All 11 codes have gone but my problem still persists, the car drives absolutely fine but when idling it's splutters and jolts you in your seat until it eventually cuts out. Have a half engine light as soon as the car is started showing reduced power.

The only code remaining is 2A82 which i understand is related to the VANOS/Camshaft area. Before I spend even more money and order two Vanos solenoids please can someone have a look at my INPA results below because it seems to me that the Vanos is running as it should. The code has been differentiating today. It goes from 2A98 then that will disappear on the next diagnostic and 2A82 will appear instead and vice versa, no other codes.

Image of VANOS results on INPA is below.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Adamf9780
Rep

https://ibb.co/jh2vZ0p
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Have you taken the Vanos out and cleaned them? There is lots of diy on how to do this, it's very easy.
I also wonder if a bad crankshaft position sensor could cause this, but I'm just speculating.
      03-05-2022, 12:56 AM   #4
Adamf9780
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Have you taken the Vanos out and cleaned them? There is lots of diy on how to do this, it's very easy.
I also wonder if a bad crankshaft position sensor could cause this, but I'm just speculating.
Hi Mate thanks for your response. Cleaned them both with brake cleaner and compressed air. Also took out both the Vanos filters on the side of the block and cleaned those with no change.
I'll most likely order two solenoids just to be sure before looking at timing. I had a good look at the gears and chain inside when I was doing the valve cover gasket and everything looked as it should (very clean inside and no noticeable wear on components) but timing could potentially be out. I've owned the car 7 years and I don't think any previous owners have messed around in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 06:54 AM   #5
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamf9780 View Post
Hi Mate thanks for your response. Cleaned them both with brake cleaner and compressed air. Also took out both the Vanos filters on the side of the block and cleaned those with no change.
I'll most likely order two solenoids just to be sure before looking at timing. I had a good look at the gears and chain inside when I was doing the valve cover gasket and everything looked as it should (very clean inside and no noticeable wear on components) but timing could potentially be out. I've owned the car 7 years and I don't think any previous owners have messed around in there.
Cleaning the vanos solenoids doesn't always work unfortunately. Hopefully the replacements fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamf9780 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
As Saif said, I would replace them and go from there. Make sure you get bmw brand. I have heard mixed reviews for aftermarket ones.