E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 29CE, 2AAF Under Hard Acceleration

10-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
ensoniq
Rep
Drives: 335xi

29CE, 2AAF Under Hard Acceleration

Im new owner of the 2007 335xi, all stock. previous owner did few repairs and service on it like, including replacement of top (intake manifold?) gasket.
had "reduced engine power" under hard acceleration.
with codes:
30FF: turbocharger , boost pressure too low
2AAF: Fuel pump, plausibly
found out the intake pipe wasnt all the way in, that took care of 30FF code.

so now have these issues:

under hard acceleration over around 4-5k+ Service Engine Soon light comes up and engine runs rough,
after restart SES light goes away.

Current Error Codes Present:
29CE combustion misfires, cylinder 2 (goes away after restart )
2AAF Fuel pump, plausibly (goes away for some time after clearing codes)

about the 29CE, I found if thats the only code than to check spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors etc.
If I find a bad coil can i replace just one or have to replace all 6 ?

any help greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
ensoniq
Rep

Right before the service engine light comes on the car jerks. Can it be the turbos ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Eddy18
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 335i Sedan

Hey I have the same problem did you have it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
What's the pressure reading of your LPFP at idol & WOT?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
darwin08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

I'm having the same issue. When it starts to shake/shudder it's pretty violent. The engine then keeps missing badly and the Check engine soon light comes on. If I shut down it's gone when I start up. If I keep driving gently (due to the missing) It gradually goes away and the check engine soon light goes out.
I've taken it to the dealer several times but their only intrest seems to be to charge as much as possible and ignore my input. They also stated that several cylinders showed running lean. They first said I needed to replace the coils and plugs until I reminded them they just did that two years ago. Then they said the valve cover was cracked and leaking oil ( which it apparently was) and that the crack could be causing a vacuum leak. I knew that last part was utter bullshit but I needed to stop the oil leak. Needless to say it had no effect on the problem. I suggested that they replace the fuel injectors while the valve cover was off but aparently BMW doesn't like to do warranty work on older cars and they dismissed the suggestion out of hand.
So if you find a solution I'd be most grateful.
Also which code scanner should I get since it seems I'm on my own here.
Thanks

2010 335I XDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I had 29CE.

One the lateral electrodes was touching the center electrode. I opened the gap, so far so good, no more knocking or 29CE.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq View Post
Im new owner of the 2007 335xi, all stock. previous owner did few repairs and service on it like, including replacement of top (intake manifold?) gasket.
had "reduced engine power" under hard acceleration.
with codes:
30FF: turbocharger , boost pressure too low
2AAF: Fuel pump, plausibly
found out the intake pipe wasnt all the way in, that took care of 30FF code.

so now have these issues:

under hard acceleration over around 4-5k+ Service Engine Soon light comes up and engine runs rough,
after restart SES light goes away.

Current Error Codes Present:
29CE combustion misfires, cylinder 2 (goes away after restart )
2AAF Fuel pump, plausibly (goes away for some time after clearing codes)

about the 29CE, I found if thats the only code than to check spark plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors etc.
If I find a bad coil can i replace just one or have to replace all 6 ?

any help greatly appreciated
2AAF is probably irrelevant, you can google why, and 30FF is just telling you the DME shut off the boost because you're misfiring.

29CE is your problem. Most likely plug, coil or injector. Very easy to test the first two - just swap with a different cylinder (one at a time) and see if misfire follows.

Neither plugs nor coils need be replaced in sets although it's generally a good idea. Injectors don't need to be replaced in sets in some circumstances, depending on what index numbers they are i.e. if they are all index 11 or 12, you can just replace one. If they are below that, BMW recommends that they be replaced for the whole bank (i.e. 3 at a time). Don't forget that the DME needs to be coded to reflect the new parameters of each new injector.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
ram00sa
Rep
Drives: 335i 09 e92 auto

i have the same issue but the fuel low pressure value keep jumping between 40 and 70 VERY fast under any kind of acceleration and the car shakes and goes into limp mode.

how did you fix urs, i order fuel regulator/filter. mine was leaking and i am also hearing very loud turbo noise from the rear turbo, sounds like inlet might have blowin off.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
ensoniq
Rep

I found with smoke tester, there was a big plastic pipe not clicked all the way underneath. It seemed like it was fit well but smoke was coming out around the connection point, so I had to push really hard on it until it clicked it all the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:28 AM   #10
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Right before the service engine light comes on the car jerks. Can it be the turbos ?
Jumping to blame the turbos isn't a good idea, you don't want to waste thousands replacing turbos only to find out it was something else.

Your misfire issue is likely due to plugs/coils,

Check them first and replace as needed. Use Eldor or Delphi coils, avoid the early Bosch coils, for plugs you can use the OEM Bosch ones.

Are you tuned or Stock?

Last edited by Saif2018; 09-04-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:37 AM   #11
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram00sa View Post
i have the same issue but the fuel low pressure value keep jumping between 40 and 70 VERY fast under any kind of acceleration and the car shakes and goes into limp mode.

how did you fix urs, i order fuel regulator/filter. mine was leaking and i am also hearing very loud turbo noise from the rear turbo, sounds like inlet might have blowin off.
Logs would be helpful,

Mods?

Which fuel are you running?

Sounds like your LPFP is failing,
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #12
ram00sa
Rep

91 Oct stage 2 fuel it bucket .
Groper intake
Wagner evo intercooler
Downpipes
And jb4 and MHD

Not sure how to post the logs but LPFP is at 45 at idle and spiking up and down to 70 very fast under any throttle input. AFR jumps to 20 and it goes limp mode . There is a leak near by the regulator/filter .and it looks like someone already played around that area. Because the teeth's of the cap is broken
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
ram00sa
Rep

Quote:
I found with smoke tester, there was a big plastic pipe not clicked all the way underneath. It seemed like it was fit well but smoke was coming out around the connection point, so I had to push really hard on it until it clicked it all the way.
How does that make your car throw a fuel related code. .?

Btw I hear very loud spool sounds from the rear turbo . And I have VTT Inlets.
Appreciate 0