E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mhd problem please help

06-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Exclamation Mhd problem please help

Hi, I am from Hong Kong, I have did a lot of review before try to flash my car with MHD, and I finally decide to flash it today, but my flash didn’t went well and my car couldn’t turn on anymore, the following was the process of my flash, hope that you can help me.

First, I have my battery charger connected to my car, then I plug in the K+DCAN cable, it connect successfully, I purchases the flasher module and stage 1 map, then I go backup my ECU and start flash the map. Firstly it go well, but then it stuck at (15%, 31min left.). I wait for more than 1 hour but it still stuck at 15% and start raining (I don’t have a gauge at my home, I just do the flashing outside my house) so I have no choices and I unplug the cable, then I restart the phone and ofcause my car can’t start anymore.

After my phone restarted, I try to flash my car back to stage 0, the MHD app go well and start flash back to stock, later on, it stuck at (89% 2min left) again, after half hours and it rains again... I have no Choice to unplug the cable again. Finally, the MHD app no longer connects to the ECU, I try with the same cable that I have used and it said no cable detected. That is all the process of my flash, and I have couple questions want to ask, hope that you can give me some help, thanks.

1:The MHD app no longer connects to my ecu(the same cable that I have used for flashing), is that mean my ECU go totally dead? Or only the problem of the cable?

2: Why will my flashing stuck during the process? The problem of the cable, phone or the battery? Have anyone got the same “stucking” problem before when you try to flash your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonytl1 View Post
Hi, I am from Hong Kong, I have did a lot of review before try to flash my car with MHD, and I finally decide to flash it today, but my flash didn’t went well and my car couldn’t turn on anymore, the following was the process of my flash, hope that you can help me.

First, I have my battery charger connected to my car, then I plug in the K+DCAN cable, it connect successfully, I purchases the flasher module and stage 1 map, then I go backup my ECU and start flash the map. Firstly it go well, but then it stuck at (15%, 31min left.). I wait for more than 1 hour but it still stuck at 15% and start raining (I don’t have a gauge at my home, I just do the flashing outside my house) so I have no choices and I unplug the cable, then I restart the phone and ofcause my car can’t start anymore.

After my phone restarted, I try to flash my car back to stage 0, the MHD app go well and start flash back to stock, later on, it stuck at (89% 2min left) again, after half hours and it rains again... I have no Choice to unplug the cable again. Finally, the MHD app no longer connects to the ECU, I try with the same cable that I have used and it said no cable detected. That is all the process of my flash, and I have couple questions want to ask, hope that you can give me some help, thanks.

1:The MHD app no longer connects to my ecu(the same cable that I have used for flashing), is that mean my ECU go totally dead? Or only the problem of the cable?

2: Why will my flashing stuck during the process? The problem of the cable, phone or the battery? Have anyone got the same “stucking” problem before when you try to flash your car?
Try a different cable, they can be hit or miss. I have a Bimmergeeks cable and the first one I received worked intermittently and then stopped working. The replacement they sent works fine. I also have this one which works fine also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Quote:

Try a different cable, they can be hit or miss. I have a Bimmergeeks cable and the first one I received worked intermittently and then stopped working. The replacement they sent works fine. I also have this one which works fine also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
But my K+DCAN cable still got the red light on when I connect the cable to the OBD=,=
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #4
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But my K+DCAN cable still got the red light on when I connect the cable to the OBD=,=
I don’t know who the reputable cable suppliers are in Asia, but over here the quality of the cable is a huge issue. I know the bimmer geeks cable is recommended. If you have a low quality cable, the flash can fail. Also it’s been a while since I used my cable, but I seem to recall it having an orange or red light as well as a green light that blinks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Quote:
I don’t know who the reputable cable suppliers are in Asia, but over here the quality of the cable is a huge issue. I know the bimmer geeks cable is recommended. If you have a low quality cable, the flash can fail. Also it’s been a while since I used my cable, but I seem to recall it having an orange or red light as well as a green light that blinks.
Thanks bro, btw, is there any cases that MHD failure can cause ECU totally dead and need to replace a new ECU? This is the only thing I am thinking about now...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks bro, btw, is there any cases that MHD failure can cause ECU totally dead and need to replace a new ECU? This is the only thing I am thinking about now...
There are many posts on this forum of members who've had issues flashing to MHD which caused the car to not start. Most of them seem to be solved by a quality cable, a battery charger, and patience...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There are many posts on this forum of members who've had issues flashing to MHD which caused the car to not start. Most of them seem to be solved by a quality cable, a battery charger, and patience...
There is no gauge in my house(most of the Hongkongers don't have) and what I did yesterday, I parked my car right out side my house in order to get the battery supply(my parking lot is 20m away from my house). When I failed to flash my car and my car go bricked, I need to put the gear in neutral and pushing my car back to my parking lot because my car couldn't work and it is blocking the only pathway outside my house. (This is the only pathway that which my neighbour they also need to use.)

Here is the question, can I get battery supply from another running car which connected a power cable to my car? Can it make enough voltage for the process during the flashing?

Sorry for my bad English, hope that you can get when I mean
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is no gauge in my house(most of the Hongkongers don't have) and what I did yesterday, I parked my car right out side my house in order to get the battery supply(my parking lot is 20m away from my house). When I failed to flash my car and my car go bricked, I need to put the gear in neutral and pushing my car back to my parking lot because my car couldn't work and it is blocking the only pathway outside my house. (This is the only pathway that which my neighbour they also need to use.)

Here is the question, can I get battery supply from another running car which connected a power cable to my car? Can it make enough voltage for the process during the flashing?

Yes...rather than a battery charger you could also use a running car with jumper cables...

Your english is much better than my cantonese....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes...rather than a battery charger you could also use a running car with jumper cables...

Your english is much better than my cantonese....
Cantonese is the most difficult language on the earth hahaha...

Thanks anyway, hope that my ECU still not die yet...this is the only thing I am afraid of, some people say BMW ECU isn't that easy to be breakable and MHD can't really kill it, but there is some people in Hong Kong really did killed the ECU by MHD flashing failure which need to replace a new one with like more than 10k HKD.

By now, I am still so panic, because the early day my car still work extremely normal, if I did kill the ECU just for having more fun through MHD, I think I will kick myself for a fool....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Battery charger is not mandatory anymore in the latest versions from MHD, because it doesn't run the fan etc anymore. Seems like you have a bad cable or phone connection to me... Also make sure to set the phone in airplane mode after connection with MHD.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerain View Post
Battery charger is not mandatory anymore in the latest versions from MHD, because it doesn't run the fan etc anymore. Seems like you have a bad cable or phone connection to me... Also make sure to set the phone in airplane mode after connection with MHD.
By now, I will try to connect my father's car to my car with a jumper cable in order to make my car battery come back life, because the battery drain badly, I can't even lock my door by the remote key, then I will try with a new K+DCAN cable, hope that I can fix my car back or even luckily flashing it to stage 1 with no failure. Thanks all you guys for teaching me a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #12
jasonytl1
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks everyone for helping me out. After I tried a new K+DCAN cable and connected a jumper cable to a running car in order to get the battery supply, I can finally fix my car back to life and successfully flashed to Stage 1. Thankyou for all of you, I love you guys
Appreciate 0