E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > OFFICIAL: Air Suspension Thread

03-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #837
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

I also lengthened mine. For reference they end up basically the same length as the standard ones, so you could just use those to be honest.

I think it's only needed on the XI, where the ARB get's caught on the front driveshaft.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #838
TranMan
Rep
Drives: e92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
e91 here. from my experience, the reason the front doesn't go as low as the rear is because when you air out the sway bar + end link holds the car up.

Basically, if you draw a line from the connection point of the end link to the strut all the way down the end link, then from the end link connection to the sway bar to the bend in the sway bar, this is all the length you have to work with. if you increase the length of the end link you can go lower.

here is a crude diagram i just made:

I made longer end links (by making a longer center bar) and now my car slams nicely. I sold a pair of the longer center bars for the end links to another member (username PRO.) on the forum and maybe they want to chime in.

Here are some pictures:

Before lengthening end links, this is a low as the front would get:

I removed the end links, and this is how low it would get:

This is the car now with legthened end links and as low as it gets:

here is one of my older posts:
We lengthened the end links to their max (10mm of threads inside each end link head). Length was set to ~285mm and the car sits much lower, but about 20-25mm higher than without end links installed. This is satisfactory for now, but will want it to go lower.

I need a longer center bar for the end links so that I can set the length to 310mm or so. Current center bar is about 162mm long.

It was counter-intuitive to lengthen the end links when lowering the car, but this has worked.
Update:
I fully understand how this works now.

The top end link connection point on the strut is a static point, no matter the height of the car. When the air bags deflate and the car lowers, the sway bar (and bushings) lowers too; this causes the end link connection to the sway bar to pull on the sway bar and it pivots. If your end link is too short, when you air out your end link is actually holding the car up; the weight of the front of the car is suspended on the end link and sway bar. The longer the end link, the lower you can go (to a certain point).

I think an end link length of 310mm-320mm is ideal. This will allow you to go as low as the car wants to without end links attached. I have not checked clearance for this length yet though as the end links that came with the kit can only go to ~285mm (while still leaving enough threads, ~13mm, inside the end link heads so the connection is strong and effective). I have clearance with this setting. --- Keep in mind I have an e91, so your results may vary.

Your prompt response is much much appreciated! the pics you sent of your car with the endlinks unmodified is exactly where my car currently sits in the front and I hate it!!! I am on the hunt for some aftermarket swaybar endlinks that hopefully can custome make them in a lengthni can use to further drop my car! you guys on here rock! tysm

Also, I found a company HP Autosport E82/E9X Adjustable Swaybar Endlinks who will make custom swaybar endlinks if requested for a certain length. I might give that a try as well. Has anyone heard of anything about these?
Heres the link:
https://hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-E82...ks-e82-e9x.htm

Last edited by TranMan; 03-17-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #839
TranMan
Rep
Drives: e92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
I also lengthened mine. For reference they end up basically the same length as the standard ones, so you could just use those to be honest.

I think it's only needed on the XI, where the ARB get's caught on the front driveshaft.
I do have the XI so im assiming I will need to extend my endlinks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #840
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i DCT FBO

BOOGIE!!! WHAT REAR TOE ARM IS THAT?!!! I NEED ONE BUT CANT FIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt_BooGie View Post
No I did not, these were not available when I first did my suspension

Depending....if you are on coil overs the car will only go as low as you have your coils set. So if your front bag blew you could always raise your coilover, the ride might be harsh b/c of no compression but it'll let you make it to a safe enough place to take care of the problem.

Depending...you could prob piece one together for $3k-$5k

that whole thats in your control arm at the bottom is where that goes. You put the bolt through that...then put the washer on then screw the nut.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #841
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know what brand the rear bags are called in this photo?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #842
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

They are airmext, you can find them on aliexpress
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #843
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

hey guys,

I was reading through the thread, and with it being pretty old thought i'd just ask at the end to make sure I dont get any outdated info.

So basically i have a e93. Im looking at getting air ride because well with it being an e93 its not going to be a track car, and will be more for shows other than basic stuff like tune and FBO.

that said IM trying to figure out what kit is the best AIO package for me to go with.

I was looking on this side "bagridders" They have 2 options to pick from 3p and 3h. It looks like the 3h is the better of the 2, but im worried that i might have issues with clearing aggressive fitting wheels. I want wider wheels in the rear.

also what is the difference between going with the airlift struts and shock, over going getting the D2 ones? I cant seem to find much review about the D2 ones. but i noticed no the side if you pick d2 it greys out the next 2 options.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #844
ChazCulver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf15 View Post
hey guys,

I was reading through the thread, and with it being pretty old thought i'd just ask at the end to make sure I dont get any outdated info.

So basically i have a e93. Im looking at getting air ride because well with it being an e93 its not going to be a track car, and will be more for shows other than basic stuff like tune and FBO.

that said IM trying to figure out what kit is the best AIO package for me to go with.

I was looking on this side "bagridders" They have 2 options to pick from 3p and 3h. It looks like the 3h is the better of the 2, but im worried that i might have issues with clearing aggressive fitting wheels. I want wider wheels in the rear.

also what is the difference between going with the airlift struts and shock, over going getting the D2 ones? I cant seem to find much review about the D2 ones. but i noticed no the side if you pick d2 it greys out the next 2 options.
3H Gives you height based pre-sets, 3P Is Pressure based pre-sets.

After years of doing this stuff, IMO I'll never use Anything other than Airlift Air Struts. Ever.

Rock on.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #845
bf15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCulver View Post
3H Gives you height based pre-sets, 3P Is Pressure based pre-sets.

After years of doing this stuff, IMO I'll never use Anything other than Airlift Air Struts. Ever.

Rock on.
So I see it looks like. The kits require using a m3 shock in the rear, is this just a simple swap because the control arm is different or it more involved?

It looks like it should be a pretty much bold on install I think. I do need to figure out where to mount all the parts in the trunk. I'm going to have a idmax ski pass infinite baffle sub so I have to have clearence for that.

Any reason that the 2.5 gallen tank would be to small?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #846
ChazCulver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf15 View Post
So I see it looks like. The kits require using a m3 shock in the rear, is this just a simple swap because the control arm is different or it more involved?

It looks like it should be a pretty much bold on install I think. I do need to figure out where to mount all the parts in the trunk. I'm going to have a idmax ski pass infinite baffle sub so I have to have clearence for that.

Any reason that the 2.5 gallen tank would be to small?
The supplied Control arm with the Air Lift kit is a simple swap. Alirlift also sells a rear shock that's great with the kit.

It's very much bolt on, with exception to the management configuration and how you want your trunk set up. Google around, or search this thread. There's lots of pictures.

No tank is considered "Too Small" but just know, smaller tank means less reserve air if you decide to air out and air up. If you leave the car, and dont play with the height constantly, then tank size doesn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #847
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by naenae View Post
BOOGIE!!! WHAT REAR TOE ARM IS THAT?!!! I NEED ONE BUT CANT FIND

It looks like the UAS rear toe arm, just powder coated yellow
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #848
_thekonig
Rep
Drives: '09 335i 6MT

I need help -_- been adjusting the dampening on the airlift shocks, and I cant get rid of the clunking and knocking sound of my rear struts. I'm thinking I'll have to retighten everything again. anyone have any input? I've bought new strut mounts and everything prior.
      08-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #849
ChazCulver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _thekonig View Post
I need help -_- been adjusting the dampening on the airlift shocks, and I cant get rid of the clunking and knocking sound of my rear struts. I'm thinking I'll have to retighten everything again. anyone have any input? I've bought new strut mounts and everything prior.
I had a clunk in my drivers rear for weeks that i couldn't figure out.

Finally i tried tightening each both a little past torque spec 1 at a time to see if i found the culprit.

The bolt that holds the bottom of the shock in the control arm was my problem. I tightened it approx 15lbs past torque spec and the clunk was gone and never returned.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #850
cvincent3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325d LCI

Just fitted the airlift performance 3P to my E92 LCI, it's brilliant except my headlights are pointing towards the ground, the installation instructions illustrated for the rear headlight level sensor to point inwards away from the suspension but it was pointing outwards towards the suspension with my H&R suspension but I can't do this because of the bag is in the way, anyone come across this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #851
Stewie G.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quick Questions Guys.
I Have universal bags on my g35 rn, i wanna put them on my e92, can the UAS bags go directly on the stock struts and how long would they last with the stock struts, front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #852
ChazCulver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G. View Post
Quick Questions Guys.
I Have universal bags on my g35 rn, i wanna put them on my e92, can the UAS bags go directly on the stock struts and how long would they last with the stock struts, front and rear.
Front, No.
Rear, Yes, but depends on Drive Height. If you drive low, they wont last long.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #853
Stewie G.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCulver View Post
Front, No.
Rear, Yes, but depends on Drive Height. If you drive low, they wont last long.
Do you know which universal bag works for the front?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #854
Ruined.garage
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i

Here's my e90
Air Lift V2
Vossen VSF2
20x9.5
20x11
Currently working on fitting/molding a vicrez e92 m3 widebody & stuffing 19x14/15 weds in there 🍑
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #855
ayyy
Lame Stance Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO Bagged 08 E92 335xi (V2)

Here's my second 08 e92 n54 335xi on Airlift Performance with 3P Management. Wrapped, FBO, MHD Stage 2+. Lots more at @danwogan on instagram and at my Photo Gallery thread here.

Insta: @danwogan
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #856
Devildog0905
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G. View Post
Do you know which universal bag works for the front?
Also wondering this. Looking for a budget way to get bags.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #857
naenae
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu View Post
They are airmext, you can find them on aliexpress
do you think id need a curved rear toe arm to fit these or would stock be fine
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #858
RonaldSwanson
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e91 and '08 e92

Does anyone in here have any tips on how to get a less bouncy ride? Car is a 328xi, running AirLift front and rear. It seems to be mostly the rear. I tried softening the rear shocks 2 clicks from the stiffness they came from the factory, which didn’t seem to help any. Also cut the bumpstops in half thinking maybe I was riding on them, that didn’t help either. My ride height is typically right around 45psi front, 76psi rear. Riding at a lower or higher psi in the rear doesn’t seem to really change the ride either. I figure there are so many bagged e9x’s at this point, someone must know the answer?
Appreciate 0