Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Too many bent rims and flat tires....

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
crvgt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
Too many bent rims and flat tires....

Some questions from an ignorant (and aging) enthusiast. I have a 2006 330xi (non-sport package) that came with 17" wheels (style 159). Preferring the look of the sport package wheels, about a year ago, i bought a set of the staggered 18" (style 189's). Although i love the look, the roads have been a nightmare and my commute to work (almost exclusively in the dark both ways) has become way more stressful than it needs to be. Making too many trips back to the dealer to buy new tires and rims. I'm getting too old for this!

Since i love the look of the 189's, but want to simplify my life, i am considering doing two things:
- buy a new set of 18" 189 wheels all around (non-staggered)- this way i can recycle some of my existing non-bent 18" wheels in case i have a problem in the future.
- buy a set of "taller" tires (and get out of run-flats) - instead of the 225/40-18s, can i get a set of 45's or 50's instead? Would that give me better protection against the constant threat of potholes? Any problems with this idea? As always, thanks for the great advice on these boards!

Ron
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Out of curiosity... What tyre pressure are you using? Did you bend front or rear rims, or both?

I think if you keep the pressures above 38 PSI at all times, it wouldn't be so easy to bend an 18" stock rim. For the sake of comfort you are probably better of with 17s and a few PSI less pressure. Maybe you can prove me wrong.

EDIT: I think the Run-Flats are contributing to your problem, because they put a lot of load on the edges of the rim. It dosen't take much to bend the inside edge of the rim where there is no support from the spokes.

Last edited by John_01; 03-07-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
crvgt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Garage List
i've bent them all...some more than once. I have been running them at 32 psi....i guess my three questions were:
1. would any 225 size tire of any aspect ratio fit?
2. would a higher aspect ratio provide greater protection to the rims?
3. do non-run flats survive a potholes any better

thanks again,
Ron
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Get away from the run flats all together and this may help solve your problem!
Run flats have a really hard sidewall, so if you take two things that are hard... press them together and jam it into a pothole, one of them..... or maybe both of them has to have somewhere to go, hence the bends and flats.
Now if you run a non rft the tire will give a lot more allowing for more protection on the wheel and allowing more flexibility in the tire. So if the tire has more elasticity (if you will) it will allow for air to be displaced without blowing out the tire as well.

However now yo have to keep a spare handy.
      03-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

If you change the "aspect ratio" you will change the overall diameter of your tire and it will affect you speedo, mpg's, and the mileage interval for all your service indicators. I do not recommend that option.
Appreciate 0